Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Summer Banter & General Discussion/Observations

CapturedNature

4 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

today is oddly warm in the MOS products when I can't find a model that's has less than 80% RH in the 700 mb sigma during max heating hours...  It'll be interesting to see if sites make 84 F like that... There are some sky-lights here and there, so it may not be too far-fetched that ole sol could thermally rip some of this further apart. we'll see.

edit, actually the Euro was under 70% at 700 mb by 00z tonight ... who knows if that means more sun in the afternoon -

It's a cloudy, cool start up here too with rain approaching. It wouldn't surprise me if I get wedged in most/all of the day.

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

I will be in my pool very soon, its 80 degrees, sun feels great. its 77 degrees, you can't be this much of a baby?

Our pool thermometer had dropped to 70F yesterday after being 79 a few days earlier.  I didn't brace it but my daughter and her friends did.  I am looking forward to this warm and humid stretch a bit

1 hour ago, Lava Rock said:

Is the workaround for Firefox Ver 52 not working with Java still to download an older FF version? Why in their infinite wisdom would they not continue to support java?

Money ... of course...

all of technology, regardless of medium (that which is dependent upon software) could be entirely seamless across all devices and platforms that exist if humans wanted to; it's the forces of a greed-constructed economics stopping that kind of convenience. 

"Cloud" technology might be a ..prototype for a future where that may or may not be the case but there are too many legacy platforms that are dependent on patent-owned disparate algorithm bases, and each one fights that sort of integration from happening or diverges their interests away in general ... because it means they give up their right to be greedy in the future. 

13 hours ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

So not to stir the pot again but we made a decision regarding cable/tv.

We are cutting out all of our Netflix/ Hulu whatever else media accounts and getting Comcast. 140+ channels... all major sports... Dvr... etc etc... for about 115$ per month.

I just went the other way - totally dumped all cable TV, just keeping comcast for internet. 

20 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Posts that imply, "My weather preferences are normal; yours are dumb" do not represent intelligent conversation.

And your next post down states things very well.

No one asked but ... I just hate lack of excitement, period. 

I can take a few days of serene conditions.   But, last summer and last winter... talking basically 9 straight months of calendar year was shockingly devoid of exciting events.    I guess given enough time, the dial resets to a lesser expectation of drama if/when banality persists long enough... People sort of start opining insightful dialogue over whether it gets to 90 or stops at 89.44 ...which we are sort of in that now.  

We have [perhaps] a tooth-skinner heat wave for FIT ...MHT, BED... SPF ... etc... with a three day stint of 89.5/73 (and I think the DPs will climb that high as we go) on tap from tomorrow through the weekend... But, if we were pounding out heat waves this summer of the 95-100 ilk, we wouldn't even notice these lesser bootleg versions.  Same in winters where snow is no commodity - we don't even notice the 3" events anymore...  We get conditioned to expect the 10" and of course that psychology comes full circle around to bite us in the azz when reality of climo comes back to town and we feel our entitlement is violated - hahaha. 

anyway, all that babble aside, we test nature at the extremes.  There is a reason humans seek drama in nature - it actually (in a great deal of making sense) taps into the same reasons humans are inherently explorers.   What comes next -  ...without the extremes, what's-the-point becomes almost biological.  interesting

2 hours ago, Lava Rock said:

Is the workaround for Firefox Ver 52 not working with Java still to download an older FF version? Why in their infinite wisdom would they not continue to support java?

Palemoon

is a fork of FF that still supports Java.

You also might find support still in the "ESR" release of FF.

2 hours ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Our pool thermometer had dropped to 70F yesterday after being 79 a few days earlier.  I didn't brace it but my daughter and her friends did.  I am looking forward to this warm and humid stretch a bit

all my shade is gone, its like living in the CTRV

:axe:

Looks like the hard disk on my wx station comp has died and I haven't done a backup on the data for quite some time. Anyone have any tips on how to get it going again just long enough so I can go in and get some files? It's an old Dell XPS 400 on XP from 2005. I'm getting the dreaded clicking sound and SATA fail screen when starting up.

22 minutes ago, dendrite said:

:axe:

Looks like the hard disk on my wx station comp has died and I haven't done a backup on the data for quite some time. Anyone have any tips on how to get it going again just long enough so I can go in and get some files? It's an old Dell XPS 400 on XP from 2005. I'm getting the dreaded clicking sound and SATA fail screen when starting up.

If it's really valuable data, stop messing with it at all and hire a pro.  Otherwise try an external connection like SATA to USB and see if it's recognized by another PC.

23 minutes ago, bobbutts said:

If it's really valuable data, stop messing with it at all and hire a pro.  Otherwise try an external connection like SATA to USB and see if it's recognized by another PC.

I have most old pics/music from that backed up on an iosafe ext drive, but most of my excel climo data and davis wxlink data files never made it over there. i'm not home yet to see the comp...i only got some screen shots from the gf. I'll try opening the case and making sure everything has a good connection (slim chance it's that) and then do what you said. Seems from my searches some have had luck with a failed drive working briefly again with the sata to usb.

8 minutes ago, dendrite said:

I have most old pics/music from that backed up on an iosafe ext drive, but most of my excel climo data and davis wxlink data files never made it over there. i'm not home yet to see the comp...i only got some screen shots from the gf. I'll try opening the case and making sure everything has a good connection (slim chance it's that) and then do what you said. Seems from my searches some have had luck with a failed drive working briefly again with the sata to usb.

Yeah, it is possible that the drive is partially working.. If that fails you can try some tricks like freezing it or other crazy stuff.  I've had it go either way from this point, almost complete recovery to total loss.  The worst was many years ago I ripped tons of netflix (dvd by mail) movies to a double HDD external enclosure.  The fan on the enclosure died and by the time I noticed the problem it was hot enough to fry an egg on.  There was actually a bunch of recoverable parts of the data on that, but I ended up tossing the thing in the trash.

7 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Might be chilly at night in the north country at elevation.  We're bringing sweaters for nights but will be hiking in shorts/tees daytime.  It's always chilly up there.  Hopefully by the time we migrate to Quebec it will be moderating.

I was just below MWN yesterday morning at 5K.  Mid-30s, wind gusting to near 50, fog and wind chill at 21F.  I could've used a pair of gloves but took them out of my bag when I went to Greylock.  Whoops ... lol!

Just now, Damage In Tolland said:

It rained everyday except 2 days and was cloudy much of time. There were forecasts of a week of dry and sunny. Amounted to 2 days of it lol

Glad we don't live there , one day with 1 afternoon Tstorm here

6/26/2017 0.00
06/27/2017 T
06/28/2017 0.40
06/29/2017 0.00
Totals : 0.40 in.

Archived