Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Summer Banter & General Discussion/Observations

CapturedNature

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like variety. Hence why I love New England this time of year. 95/75 everyday in the SE for months get tedious and nauseating. The wx OSU typically expects through June/July is the other extreme. I like how we quickly bounce around from mid 90s back into the 40s for lows a couple days later. Then we can get a few coolish days with hail and storms like this week and follow it up with heat and humidity and then a dead ratter in the 50s/60s. What starts to get to me this time of year is when the pattern gets persistent. I don't want a 2009, but I don't want a 60s style drought either. No thanks on persistent cold or 1988 heat either. Mix it up and I'm a happy camper. 

2 minutes ago, dendrite said:

I like variety. Hence why I love New England this time of year. 95/75 everyday in the SE for months get tedious and nauseating. The wx OSU typically expects through June/July is the other extreme. I like how we quickly bounce around from mid 90s back into the 40s for lows a couple days later. Then we can get a few coolish days with hail and storms like this week and follow it up with heat and humidity and then a dead ratter in the 50s/60s. What starts to get to me this time of year is when the pattern gets persistent. I don't want a 2009, but I don't want a 60s style drought either. No thanks on persistent cold or 1988 heat either. Mix it up and I'm a happy camper. 

Yep although the doldrums of 80s over 50s in September is very welcome

2 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

I love NNE all seasons just glad I don't have to deal with upslope rain.

Yeah I hear ya.  It has been a little frustrating at times thinking we've got a dry day but some spoke of energy moving through southern Canada is just enough to spark a few cellular showers over the mountains and then once they initiate they tend to carry eastward and downwind quite a bit. 

Definitely don't mind it in the winter, like today it rained I think 3-4 times but only briefly in the quick moving flow.  Just enough to wet everything down and then it moves on, the sun comes out, and then another one forms upstream of the mountain and rolls through. 

Similar to winter with orographics, big difference between the mountain and town.  Today would've given the mountain a half a foot while down in town its an inch or two, lol. 

Looks like 0.57" for the Mansfield COOP today and 0.09" for MVL over 3 or 4 showers, but I guess that's how the big hill averages 75" a year of water compared to like 45-50" at the ASOS.  I agree with you that its annoying this time of year.  It rains enough without these NW flow showers.

Speaking of which, its now pouring out again here at home.  This stuff seems to fire up over the Spine at least excuse possible and then rolls east into town.

Skies will be clear again in like 20 minutes probably, lol.

Starting to feel for folks that have been on vacation up here lately...can't buy a fully dry day.

June_28_zpsiiqsadiu.gif

Just tallied it up and the mountain is at 18.95" of precipitation since May 1st and with the moisture coming tomorrow and Friday it'll probably go over 20" for May/June combined.

So not to stir the pot again but we made a decision regarding cable/tv.

We are cutting out all of our Netflix/ Hulu whatever else media accounts and getting Comcast. 140+ channels... all major sports... Dvr... etc etc... for about 115$ per month.

After reviewing all options, this we found would be the most stress free an easy... if we cut our costs on other media... it won't be as bad

10 hours ago, ineedsnow said:

I jumped in my pool after work.... Also the neighbors two houses down were swimming today..  

9 hours ago, CTValleySnowMan said:

The CTRV is definitely a place where you will have more pool  friendly days than a 1K hilltop.  More sun, more open space, and warmer temps.  A 78 spot with light wind here today while Kev is 73 and a steady breeze and large trees and hillsides blocking the sun.  

some dew some don't understand

9 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

sucks you won't be able to swim 4th of July

Not as warm or humid early next
week including the fourth of July holiday

Pattern change
aloft for early next week as the region is more in the broad trough
keeping heat and humidity at bay

GFS has some single digit 850s up here. Maybe start the 4th with a 49F?

today is oddly warm in the MOS products when I can't find a model that's has less than 80% RH in the 700 mb sigma during max heating hours...  It'll be interesting to see if sites make 84 F like that... There are some sky-lights here and there, so it may not be too far-fetched that ole sol could thermally rip some of this further apart. we'll see.

edit, actually the Euro was under 70% at 700 mb by 00z tonight ... who knows if that means more sun in the afternoon -

Archived