Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Summer Banter & General Discussion/Observations

CapturedNature

31 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Lol,  I guess there are no weather geeks in the north Quabbin area.  Orange / Athol probably suffered the most damage of any towns in MA last night yet not a single damage report from there posted on NWS BOX list.  My friend in Athol is still w/o power. 

We had a little rain here in Barre, but that was about it. 

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Lol,  I guess there are no weather geeks in the north Quabbin area.  Orange / Athol probably suffered the most damage of any towns in MA last night yet not a single damage report from there posted on NWS BOX list.  My friend in Athol is still w/o power. 

?

0719 PM     TSTM WND DMG     ORANGE                  42.59N  72.30W
06/27/2017                   FRANKLIN           MA   AMATEUR RADIO

MULTIPLE TREES DOWN ON WHEELER AVE...TREE DOWN ON HOUSE
            WITH ROOF DAMAGE ON SUMMER STREET...TREE DOWN ON HOUSE
            WITH STRUCTURAL DAMAGE ON STONE ROAD...POWER LINES DOWN
            ON EAST RIVER STREET...LARGE TREE DOWN ON CARS ON RIVER
            STREET...TREE AND UTILITY POLE DOWN ON CAR IN TOWN HALL
            PARKING LOT...POWER POLE AND WIRES DOWN ON PROSPECT
            STREET.

0720 PM     TSTM WND DMG     ATHOL                   42.59N  72.23W
06/27/2017                   WORCESTER          MA   TRAINED SPOTTER

LARGE PORTION OF TREE DOWN IN PARKING LOT OF ATHOL
            SAVINGS BANK. TREE DOWNED ON WIRES.

0726 PM     TSTM WND DMG     ATHOL                   42.59N  72.23W
06/27/2017                   WORCESTER          MA   AMATEUR RADIO

TREE AND WIRES DOWN ON CHESTNUT HILL AVE. TREE AND
            WIRES DOWN AT PARTRIDGE HILL AND DANIEL SHAYS ROAD.

13 hours ago, weatherwiz said:

Everyone got hail but me.  Sucks to have had to sit in Physics with my thumbs up my ass WHILE MY HOME TOWN IS GETTING POUNDED BY HAIL.  ****

Come to my place, where all the hail that's fallen in my dooryard in the past 19 years would fit into a one-pound coffee can.  While I was enjoying my 0.01" with a few rumbles yesterday, a co-worker had to pull over during a hail-studded downpour less than 20 miles east and multiple hail pics from 30 miles south made the news.  I've seen (or been told about) significant hail within 10 miles more than a dozen times, including 2 miles away in town, plus the August 2007 tree killer that accumulated 4" on the flat 6-8 miles to my southeast.  Water-piled hail piles were still over a foot deep 24 hours later.

35 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Come to my place, where all the hail that's fallen in my dooryard in the past 19 years would fit into a one-pound coffee can.  While I was enjoying my 0.01" with a few rumbles yesterday, a co-worker had to pull over during a hail-studded downpour less than 20 miles east and multiple hail pics from 30 miles south made the news.  I've seen (or been told about) significant hail within 10 miles more than a dozen times, including 2 miles away in town, plus the August 2007 tree killer that accumulated 4" on the flat 6-8 miles to my southeast.  Water-piled hail piles were still over a foot deep 24 hours later.

That is awesome!  My area does quite well too.  There was a several year stretch where I had hail once per year 

13 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Just bustin your balls as usual, ha.  

I like the we is they lol.

I can never tell who he is talking about....we, they, us, etc.  It's a perfect way to always be right - just use nebulous terms.  You're always talking about the place where your forecast worked out after the fact.

5 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Meanwhile we're heading up to Crawford Notch for 3 days of hiking arriving Sunday leaving Wednesday morning and then driving to Quebec City till Saturday the 8th.  Right now wx looks ok.  

don't slip and use your bad wrist to brace that fall ... helluva thing to be miles out on a trail with a mechanical injury ;)

This warm front means business tomorrow night... 

Friday night looks like DPs may be 73 or 74 F after a day of 89 ... 

In fact, there is a low probability/low end heat wave potential as Friday and Saturday both look like 32 or 33 C type 2-meter afternoons provided we don't haze over the sky too much with that milk warm sector. Tough to gauge what the air and sky textures will be like just off the synoptic charts but the pull of the air mass being lifted out of the western TV area has the midriff continental taint look to it so I wonder if the sky will really be all that blue behind the warm front.   I always think that and it ends up Bahama looking sometimes...  depends at the air trajectory as usual. 

Either way, ... looks like 15 to 16.5 C at 850 mb in SW flow at pretty much all levels - the only limiting factor to BL expansion at this time of year and in that sort of setting will be cloud/sun blockage.  

Sunday may taint further and hold things to a 85/75 bloof air mass.. 

13 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Meanwhile we're heading up to Crawford Notch for 3 days of hiking arriving Sunday leaving Wednesday morning and then driving to Quebec City till Saturday the 8th.  Right now wx looks ok.  

Enjoy!  We're going in August.  Love the Mt. Willard Trail - not long or challenging, but great view of Crawford Notch.

crawford.jpg

13 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

don't slip and use your bad wrist to brace that fall ... helluva thing to be miles out on a trail with a mechanical injury ;)

I actually asked the hand doctor and she basically said no issues but as you say-don't fall on it.  It's already improving though which iOS pleasantly surprising.

1 hour ago, weatherwiz said:

That is awesome!  My area does quite well too.  There was a several year stretch where I had hail once per year 

Since I became old enough to remember wx events - earliest one was the Nov. 1950 Apps gale - I've been present to observe just one significant hail event.  It came about 2000, when I was working out of our regional office in Farmington, and nickels and quarters nearly covered the parking lot while the street in back became a river riddled with enormous splashes.  The one severe hailstorm affecting my at-that-time residence was 5/25/1977, a late morning TS that marked the end of Aroostook's all time record heat in May - CAR had recorded 96/95/94 on 5/22-24, their 3 hottest May days with that 96 tied for their hottest for any date.  My wife moved our almost-5 son out of the windward bedroom, fearing the abundant mothball-sized hail on strong winds would break the window.  That early in spring, our garden had nothing much above 6" before the storm.  After it there was just nothing - no evidence that I'd even planted anything.  The soil looked like it had been rototilled.  (Of course, I was in the woods west of Allagash, where a gust front took down the odd snag but with only a sprinkle and no thunder.) 

30 minutes ago, HimoorWx said:

Enjoy!  We're going in August.  Love the Mt. Willard Trail - not long or challenging, but great view of Crawford Notch.

crawford.jpg

when i look over the valley from that vista it's so easy to imagine just layin' out under the parasol of a hang-glider and floating right out there - heh

3 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

when i look over the valley from that vista it's so easy to imagine just layin' out under the parasol of a hang-glider and floating right out there - heh

I could never make that leap of faith!  Just beyond my wife is a pretty sheer cliff, and it is a loooong way down.  If you got out there, I would imagine the updrafts and currents are pretty spectacular.

Archived