Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Summer Banter & General Discussion/Observations

CapturedNature

5 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

You could always consider getting an analog to digital TV adapter for the first year or two until you can afford a basic cable package and just pay for internet...you can find a lot of free streams of sports games on the internet. You'd only get the local channels with the adapter (channels that we used to use rabbit ear antennas to get back in the 1980s/early-mid 1990s) but it's better than nothing.

Unless I get something that's a lot better from someone else, it ain't happening at that price... we'll try Comcast next but I'm not optimistic. 

Im going to have to bite the bullet for internet and wifi so if we have that we can utilize Netflix among other things at least for now.

I can't believe what they want for 2 tvs and internet service in a small apartment... just laughably expensive like everything else

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Unless I get something that's a lot better from someone else, it ain't happening at that price... we'll try Comcast next but I'm not optimistic. 

Im going to have to bite the bullet for internet and wifi so if we have that we can utilize Netflix among other things at least for now.

I can't believe what they want for 2 tvs and internet service in a small apartment... just laughably expensive like everything else

Apartment size doesn't matter.  It's per TV usually.  I pay $40 for internet and $50 for cable and we only have one TV.  

I'd think you can find something around $100 a month for both.  But it's not like you are going to get both for $40.

What about other options? Is there more than Verizon? For a first time customer, 122 bucks a month sounds pretty high as usually they give away a lot for the first year. First, see if you have more than one option. Then, find out about smaller packages. You actually probably got the 99 dollar a month but they anal probe you with taxes and fees.

4 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Apartment size doesn't matter.  It's per TV usually.  I pay $40 for internet and $50 for cable and we only have one TV.  

I'd think you can find something around $100 a month for both.  But it's not like you are going to get both for $40.

Doesn't it matter in a sense for how much coverage needs to be provided for wifi or whatever? Maybe I'm wrong about that... but I figured the less space you need to provide that service the cheaper it would be?

they advertise these double play deals for 49$. 59$ but in reality.... that includes basically bare minimum without equipment rental, installation, etc etc.

6 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

What about other options? Is there more than Verizon? For a first time customer, 122 bucks a month sounds pretty high as usually they give away a lot for the first year. First, see if you have more than one option. Then, find out about smaller packages. You actually probably got the 99 dollar a month but they anal probe you with taxes and fees.

The base package was like 74$ which seemed reasonable to me. Then they add all the rental fees taxes, and I said I'd like local sports. So that was like another 7-8$ bucks and before you know it... the final total was 122$.

I think I may have gotten porked also because I can't commit 2 years. Our lease is year to year so I'm not going to commit service to a place I may not be living in a year from now. 

Ill do without Ultimately if I'm going to be taken behind the woodshed. I live with my parents at the moment and the verizon bill is about 170$ a month... which includes 6 full capacity boxes for tv, internet, and home phone.

Obviously my needs will be substantially less, but the price is a little more than 40$ difference, which just doesn't seem right 

31 minutes ago, Brewbeer said:

I have comcast and it is a total rip-off.  I have 1 television, and internet package.  I rent the cable box and own the wireless router.  About $150/month.  Seriously considering dropping the cable TV and going with just internet.

Cable TV has become an insane racket.

We've been thinking about cord cutting for a year or so...haven't done it yet. I enjoy NFL football the most on TV, but that is something you can get with just an analog/digital converter for free since most NFL games are on local TV. I'd just miss the games on ESPN Monday night. I don't think we're too far away from a big price drop in TV packages...a lot of cord cutters nowadays. At some point there will be a positive ROR for them to slash prices and regain volume.

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

You could always consider getting an analog to digital TV adapter for the first year or two until you can afford a basic cable package and just pay for internet...you can find a lot of free streams of sports games on the internet. You'd only get the local channels with the adapter (channels that we used to use rabbit ear antennas to get back in the 1980s/early-mid 1990s) but it's better than nothing.

You know what else is funny about this ...

A couple times I let my cable bill lapse and ...heh, they waste no time.  I actually unplugged my coax and stuck it directly from wall to TV port and the TV ...I dunno, "decoded the residual signal" and I was able to watch quite a few channels actually while supposedly having my service cut.  Plug the coax back into the box, recycle, and the service was off. 

It seems the televisions these days have tech built in that decodes quite a lot of the em spectrum - and of course.. the telecom lines at the poles are not going to be empty of signal just because x-y-z house is late on the bill. That whole "turn off" aspect is done at the box/converter it self when the send a code to your box that bum runs ya.  So, given some savvy, one could probably figure it out (we'll stop there)

I also read on that there is a way to get free service by using tin foil (seriously..) I'll dig around and see if I can find that. Never tried tho - always easier to just pay the bill.  Even  though as we all know, cable is the biggest rip over-valued gauge known to humanity. 

1 hour ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

We are still currently hostage to Comcast but Greenfield will soon have its own town wide wireless for much less.

I refuse to pay for cable TV so we just have the 10 dollar basic network channels.

Will is right though,  there is plenty to watch for free if you know where to look.

I watched quality feeds of the entire NBA playoffs  and many other pay for broadcasts over the past few years.

Reddit is your friend once you know how to navigate through it...

When Greenland is all lush with rolling pastures and wild grapes growing like it was for the Vikings around 1200, I'll concede that CC isn't just an excuse to transfer the wealth of America to third world countries. Let's get the 5 day forecast correct 90% of the time before we claim we know what's going to happen 30- 75 years from now. 

2 hours ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Anyone have any advice on cable companies when moving into an apartment. Will be moving into my first place on July 1 and we basically just want basic cable to watch sports and some other shows and internet to connect to wifi, etc.

Verizon just quoted me 122$ per month for tv and internet service in a 400-500 square foot apartment. With a 90$ install fee.

There is no way I'm able to afford that at this point. Am I going to have to go without and just get basic internet access or is there a way to really lower the price through someone else?

I've tried most of them and Playstation vue is the best 'cord cutting' service I have tried.  Don't let the name fool you, you can use it on most devices.  It may not really help on the price much after you pay for internet service, but it's an option.  Also note that you can watch a good percentage of shows on each network's website and/or youtube and there are many tools that try to organize that.  The cheapest way would be to go the antenna route supplemented by internet offerings.  In the Boston area that's not too bad.  If you're really cheap and have decent lines of sight (and maybe a directional wifi antenna) you can probably find a wifi to use free.  If money is really tight I'd consider it.

8 hours ago, SJonesWX said:

i know it might be a strange concept, but people have preference to different types of weather.

personally i like cold weather, mainly because cold weather + snow = snowmobiling. I dislike HHH weather because it makes me sweat like a pig in heat. i don't like to sweat, therefore i don't like HHH.

i highly doubt that i am enabling myself by putting up some kind of shield, as you suggest. it is just my preference.

Its ok man Tip thinks everything is a psychological manifestation. 

4 hours ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Doesn't it matter in a sense for how much coverage needs to be provided for wifi or whatever? Maybe I'm wrong about that... but I figured the less space you need to provide that service the cheaper it would be?

they advertise these double play deals for 49$. 59$ but in reality.... that includes basically bare minimum without equipment rental, installation, etc etc.

The internet is usually the cheaper thing while its the TV you pay more for from a cable company.

And the wifi strength is a product of your router...the speed of the internet depends on how many users you have doing what online. You get the lowest internet speed and you may have some issue if you've got like three devices streaming Netflix all at once.  

I'd recommend going with the lowest possible internet speed and then it's often very easy to upgrade if you find it's not enough.  I had a very minimal internet package a while back for like $33 a month...but we would see some slow downs if my wife was working on her laptop while streaming Hulu on the TV and I was streaming baseball on my laptop.  So now we pay $40 a month and could probably stream a half dozen devices no problem now if we even had that many.  

The cable TV is where you are going to pay.  I agree with ORH that it's quite the racket.  I only have cable for sports.  My wife watches everything on Hulu or Netflix (my sister's family and us split a Netflix account)....sports though I love in HD on the big screen.  

44 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Its ok man Tip thinks everything is a psychological manifestation. 

oh I am well aware of that. 

the same guy who preaches not to let emotions get in the way of weather, tries to tell us that we are all psychotic about the type of weather we like/don't like.

Cable TV has become an insane racket.

We've been thinking about cord cutting for a year or so...haven't done it yet. I enjoy NFL football the most on TV, but that is something you can get with just an analog/digital converter for free since most NFL games are on local TV. I'd just miss the games on ESPN Monday night. I don't think we're too far away from a big price drop in TV packages...a lot of cord cutters nowadays. At some point there will be a positive ROR for them to slash prices and regain volume.

Dropped sat and cable long ago. We have a multidirectional antennae outside and pull 20+ channels. Sync that to a TiVo box for $15/month.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, Typhoon Tip said:

It seems the televisions these days have tech built in that decodes quite a lot of the em spectrum - and of course.. the telecom lines at the poles are not going to be empty of signal just because x-y-z house is late on the bill. That whole "turn off" aspect is done at the box/converter it self when the send a code to your box that bum runs ya.  So, given some savvy, one could probably figure it out (we'll stop there)

Yes, most new tv has what is known as clear QAM tuner for digital and HD cable stations. However, Comcast encrypts all but the locals so you are required to pay for box rental and an HD access fee for non-broadcast channels.  It is entirely a load of crap Comcast sells.  And for over the air broadcasts things are soon going to get tricky. The FCC has sold off UHF stations 53-69 to use for cellphones and other devices. The fcc also had a buy back scheme allowing broadcasters to sell spectrum width for cash. The end result could be co-channel interference and poor reception. Not to mention the lack of bandwidth per channel causing poor HD picture. 

I have a big antenna on my roof and get most local stations. The quality is all HD and looks great. I never paid for cable after leaving my parents house. At first we didn't have the money for it, but now I have no desire to pay. We use Chromecast for Netflix and that's about it. I do have to say Comcast is still nuts in terms of their internet prices. I went from paying 50 bucks to 90 per month for 35 mbps. It's down to 75 now but that's still ridiculous. 

11 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

http://5EE779A0-4F3B-4AD2-A702-07886B6196FA_zpsThe fungus has arrived. Death en masse. Every Oak is covered in hundreds of dead gypsies frozen in tracks http://08F15454-5BE5-4BA9-A053-549E23257690_zps

So that's what's going on. I noticed a crap load of dead caterpillars yesterday and didn't know what the deal was. Looks like my property dodged any significant defoliation. 

7 hours ago, weathafella said:

Someone told me about slingtv-he uses it and is thrilled for $20/month with minimal start up-download an app and control the tv from your phone/iPad.

I have sling and it's awesome for only $20 a month. Ton of channels including sports. You can also use it anywhere. I can watch live TV on my phone or tablet.

I also have a HD antenna and pull a ton of channels. I get all the NYC stations where I am. 

8 hours ago, New England Storm said:

Yes, most new tv has what is known as clear QAM tuner for digital and HD cable stations. However, Comcast encrypts all but the locals so you are required to pay for box rental and an HD access fee for non-broadcast channels.  It is entirely a load of crap Comcast sells.  And for over the air broadcasts things are soon going to get tricky. The FCC has sold off UHF stations 53-69 to use for cellphones and other devices. The fcc also had a buy back scheme allowing broadcasters to sell spectrum width for cash. The end result could be co-channel interference and poor reception. Not to mention the lack of bandwidth per channel causing poor HD picture. 

Up until a few years ago I was getting a ton of channels for free by just hooking the cable up to my TV and doing a channel scan. At the time I only had comcasts internet. They were still sending a ton of channels unencrypted. Now they are encrypted and you need a box.

1 hour ago, Nikoss427 said:

So that's what's going on. I noticed a crap load of dead caterpillars yesterday and didn't know what the deal was. Looks like my property dodged any significant defoliation. 

Some kind of fungus that was native from where they come from was released in the early 1900's. I believe it needs a lot of moisture to be active. Looks like it's working. I saw in the new Haven area yesterday tons of them dead on the lower parts of trees. The leaves were untouched. Looks like they emerged and then we're killed by it. Some areas lucked out were it killed them before they could do any damage. Some areas like kevs were stripped before it hit.  They were all over the lower part of the tree hanging dead. Never made it to the leaves.

Archived