Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Summer Banter & General Discussion/Observations

CapturedNature

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OT I went flying after tripping in my backyard patio last week.  Small break in one of my wrist bones.  I figured when it wasn't getting better that was the case.....will find out today how far I have to go towards immobilizing it and any other treatment.  Painful through.

2 minutes ago, weathafella said:

OT I went flying after tripping in my backyard patio last week.  Small break in one of my wrist bones.  I figured when it wasn't getting better that was the case.....will find out today how far I have to go towards immobilizing it and any other treatment.  Painful through.

That blows man. Hope you're better asap

6 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Careful old man, geez, hope you heal well, Dr Summer off?

16 hours ago, weatherwiz said:

I don't understand why people don't like high heat and humidity...I mean it's not really a big deal.  Is 95/70 really THAT bad...not at all.  When you barricade yourself in an AC room of course it's going to feel brutal when you go outside.  Suck it up and deal with it and it's not that bad.  

It's a deeper psycho-babble phenomenon than merely not liking warm humid weather ;)

Not sure of this source but ... just to make the example:

http://gizmodo.com/reverse-seasonal-affective-disorder-why-do-people-get-1585673865

Many of  the heat stompers that run around in here and play the subversive troll games against warm weather enthusiasts, and even Mets covering warm departure chances... are suspects of that ilk.  In fact, just experience alone makes me wonder if the crucible of time hasn't concentrated the users .. more importantly "return user-ship" (like it's a support group in summer, and a celebration party in winter) to be folk that are in the least tinted by that tendency if not suffering in silence for their fear and loathing a dreaded pleasant summer day. 

2 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Shut the coc and windows and get em on tonight 

hows Epsteins end of June heat wave making out? Are we still in a drought? One day wonder . I will turn mine back on before I leave for work tomorrow as I am sure that 66 degrees at 6 am won't make me lose any sleep. Then we COCadoodledewless to end the month

29 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

...folk that are in the least tinted by that tendency if not suffering in silence for their fear and loathing a dreaded pleasant summer day.

lol.  Wasn't his question about high heat and high humidity?  You make it sound like everyone hates a sunny 83F day which is like mid-summer climo.  

Big difference sensibly between 83/58 and 95/70.  

Even responding to this makes me think the next post will be "yup you're one of them that hates pleasant weather.." ha ha.

29 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

lol.  Wasn't his question about high heat and high humidity?  You make it sound like everyone hates a sunny 83F day which is like mid-summer climo.  

Even responding to this makes me think the next post will be "yup you're one of them that hates pleasant weather.." ha ha.

He said he couldn't understand why people don't like heat, and referenced 90/70 as not being all that bad.  

I was offering a possible explanation as to what it is he "might" really be observing. 

It's just my hypothesis ...but I feel pretty strongly this site does offer a kind of crucible that concentrates/pools users with that Reverse SAD type of dysthemia. 

And no, I did not directly say 'everyone'  

52 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

hows Epsteins end of June heat wave making out? Are we still in a drought? One day wonder . I will turn mine back on before I leave for work tomorrow as I am sure that 66 degrees at 6 am won't make me lose any sleep. Then we COCadoodledewless to end the month

After that 80F dew tweet I thought he'd take a hiatus from tweeting about modeled dews.

I love me some HHH, but it amazes me just how much my chickens suffer in it. As soon as it goes above 80F you start seeing the panting. 90+ you see the runny stools from excessive water intake to stay cool. They seem to thrive at temps around 40-60F. I'd argue that they handled 10F in the coop better than they do 90+ outside.

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

Maybe some overthinking?  It's only wx preferences, not some psychotic condition.  Some of the "preference posts" take the view that preferences differing from those of the one posting are incomprehensively weird.  (And I'm in that group when I post about liking very cold wx in winter.)

2nd time in my life I broke a bone-other time was 57 years ago-also wrist but I can't remember which one.  That happened from getting into a shoving match while playing hockey on a local pond....lol.

Uh oh!  That puts you one break ahead of me in about the same timeframe, and I do not wish to play catch-up.  My only one came on 1/26/1981 and took 70 tons of truck-plus-spruce-logs (plus icy woods road) to do it.  The insurance agent only needed to see a pic of the pickup in which I'd been a passenger to declare it totaled.  

15 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Maybe some overthinking?  It's only wx preferences, not some psychotic condition.  Some of the "preference posts" take the view that preferences differing from those of the one posting are incomprehensively weird.  (And I'm in that group when I post about liking very cold wx in winter.)

... Mmm... this post sounds like you are dressing things up in a stigma tho -  no one said anyone was "psychotic" - 

You can call it preferences all you want, but that's just a shield that enables one self.  When the bastion of users here engages in behaviors that are clearly sloped in favor of one genre, almost exclusively .... 

Look. It's fine.  Preference, or Reverse SAD ...or whatever the cause, there's no rules here. 

48 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Epstein's best inference was the dry September 2014 correlating to a more probable low snow year.  Old man winter read the tweet and dumped a record on us...lol.

Did he really say that ?  

I had a discussion with Harv way back when about October correlations with winter and that there seemed to be some suggestion there... But you know?  just my life experience, there have been years where a cold-ish October parlayed well, and other years where things flipped around and it didn't.  Not sure autumns are very telling - I wonder if there are any papers out there on that.  I realize we've discussed it in the past -

Most years seem to be forgettable Octobers save a couple... 

I don't think 1978's October did much special... 

But, in 1995, it seemed to turn chilly and stay that way toward the end of the month from N to S across the region... and it snowed in early to mid November no turning back style that autumn. 

Then, 2012 has a balmy to warm period for several days prior to the 15th, then the NAO flipped out and we had cold and snow month's end...only to turn that around and turd winter through spring.  hmm, interesting

34 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

... Mmm... this post sounds like you are dressing things up in a stigma tho -  no one said anyone was "psychotic" - 

You can call it preferences all you want, but that's just a shield that enables one self.  When the bastion of users here engages in behaviors that are clearly sloped in favor of one genre, almost exclusively .... 

Look. It's fine.  Preference, or Reverse SAD ...or whatever the cause, there's no rules here. 

i know it might be a strange concept, but people have preference to different types of weather.

personally i like cold weather, mainly because cold weather + snow = snowmobiling. I dislike HHH weather because it makes me sweat like a pig in heat. i don't like to sweat, therefore i don't like HHH.

i highly doubt that i am enabling myself by putting up some kind of shield, as you suggest. it is just my preference.

37 minutes ago, SJonesWX said:

i know it might be a strange concept, but people have preference to different types of weather.

personally i like cold weather, mainly because cold weather + snow = snowmobiling. I dislike HHH weather because it makes me sweat like a pig in heat. i don't like to sweat, therefore i don't like HHH.

i highly doubt that i am enabling myself by putting up some kind of shield, as you suggest. it is just my preference.

It's okay. Get it out. You can tell us. Everyone has that one creepy uncle. What did he do to you on that 96F afternoon that still stings to this day? ;)

2 hours ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Did he really say that ?  

I had a discussion with Harv way back when about October correlations with winter and that there seemed to be some suggestion there... But you know?  just my life experience, there have been years where a cold-ish October parlayed well, and other years where things flipped around and it didn't.  Not sure autumns are very telling - I wonder if there are any papers out there on that.  I realize we've discussed it in the past -

In playing with data from the nearby long-term co-op, I found only weak correlation between temp departures and snowfall, for OCT and NOV, though the 2 months went opposite directions in what little there was.  Tracking 1915 on, thus 102 years, I looked at months with departures 2.0F or greater and found the following, percents compared to the 1915-2016 avg snowfall of 89.65": 

2.0+ AN:  OCT - 102% (N=25)  NOV - 95% (N=27)
2.0+ BN:  OCT -  92%  (N=28)  NOV - 108% (N=34)
As departures increased, OCT moved toward the avg, NOV away:  OCT 4+AN - 98%, 4+BN - 97%;  NOV 4+AN - 91%, 4+BN - 111%  (N=9,10 or 11)

Large departures, plus or minus, meant less snow in OCT (97%, N=53) and more in NOV (102%, N=61)
Balanced out by the near-normal months:  OCT (104%, N=49) and NOV (97%, N=41)

Not sure if any of the above differences are significant; I suspect not.  Maybe I'll try looking at a smaller but more anomalous sample, like top/bottom 10 or 20 winters,

Note on my previous post:  I like hyperbole.  ;)

Anyone have any advice on cable companies when moving into an apartment. Will be moving into my first place on July 1 and we basically just want basic cable to watch sports and some other shows and internet to connect to wifi, etc.

Verizon just quoted me 122$ per month for tv and internet service in a 400-500 square foot apartment. With a 90$ install fee.

There is no way I'm able to afford that at this point. Am I going to have to go without and just get basic internet access or is there a way to really lower the price through someone else?

12 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Anyone have any advice on cable companies when moving into an apartment. Will be moving into my first place on July 1 and we basically just want basic cable to watch sports and some other shows and internet to connect to wifi, etc.

Verizon just quoted me 122$ per month for tv and internet service in a 400-500 square foot apartment. With a 90$ install fee.

There is no way I'm able to afford that at this point. Am I going to have to go without and just get basic internet access or is there a way to really lower the price through someone else?

You could always consider getting an analog to digital TV adapter for the first year or two until you can afford a basic cable package and just pay for internet...you can find a lot of free streams of sports games on the internet. You'd only get the local channels with the adapter (channels that we used to use rabbit ear antennas to get back in the 1980s/early-mid 1990s) but it's better than nothing.

Archived