• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Summer Banter & General Discussion/Observations

CapturedNature

I wish I had a better job.  Tired of my horrid $10.10 per hour job and busting my behind off and not getting anything for it.  Sucks having to work like 30+ hours a week (plus do school and be involved with organizations) and just making enough money to pay bills and not being able to save.  

July is next week which means severe ex season will be winding down in like 7 weeks :(

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
56 minutes ago, ma blizzard said:

at least you didn't waste your time going for / getting a meteorology degree  :lol: 

There has been alot of talk about this at school and I think it's sort of "overstated" about how little jobs are available in this field.  I think there are actually plenty of jobs but people only focus on one aspect of meteorology (typically broadcasting) and people aren't willing to move away from home.  A friend of mine received a job offer out in Oregon but didn't take it b/c the starting pay was not very good and it was part time.  I told him he should have taken it and found a second job...or third.  Just do whatever you need to do to get into the field, even if you have to live a ****ty lifestyle for a year or so.  Once you're in your options expand quite a bit b/c now you have experience.  Outside of broadcasting there is research, private sector, you can consider teaching, NWS (obviously very challenging to get into), and there are so many companies looking to hire that work on development of software and such.  If you're great with computer coding or GIS not only will you land a job but you'll be starting off with a pretty nice salary as well.  

3 hours ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Job hunting again FTL.

Quickly coming to the realization that my $40k degree is doing very little to help me out here

Be open to moving. Best thing I ever did. 

I took a job down here in DC last September, gutted it out and now have the opportunity to transfer to Boston soon. Depends on your field/employer of course, but be open to going outside your comfort zone. 

You gotta be willing to move a bit for meteorology...I was fortunate early on that I didn't have to, but then when I was working for myself later on and started to stagnate, I would have had to move unless I wanted something really small-time.

It can be tough with shift work too...not the easiest field.

While I always wanted to pursue research and go onto master and doctorate, at this point in my life I think I'm going to pass on that...at least the masters part.  No way I could go on and do tougher math...I barely made it through differential equations and physics I think is way harder.  I never solely intended on doing broadcasting but after taking a year doing practice broadcasts I really enjoy it...although I don't think I have the voice for television.  What I think I'm going to do is start applying for jobs the beginning of spring semester in 2019 (since Ill be done that May) and see if I get anything.  If not I'll probably then look into masters.  I also have huge interest in long-range so I may try explore job opportunities there.  I really want to do something with severe weather though.  

3 hours ago, butterfish55 said:

I have a pricey 22 year old Communications degree from U of Miami (2 years) and UMass Amherst (2 years)...And I've been an electrician for the past 15 years.  My old man wasn't too happy about my change of career, but it was the best thing I ever did.    If I need an apprentice, I'll give you a shout

I'm pretty much open to anything, even if totally unrelated to my field. Sometimes having the gall to do something like you did can be a life changing experience for the better. It seems to have worked out well for you

3 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

Under employment is def an issue since the great recession. People may be landing jobs, but a lot of them don't require a college degree.

Tauntonblizz, what field are in again? I sort of remember hearing you were in the legal field, but maybe that was someone else. Try expanding your search a bit...i.e. if you were just limiting it to the Boston metro area, try up toward Portland and back SW toward Providence/Hartford. Kind of annoying if you were hoping to stay right in the metro area...but sometimes that's the way to get a foot in the door. I'd also recommend maybe getting your resume professionally done (or at least look into the process online a bit deeper)...that used to sound crazy and a waste of money, but more of these companies are now searching resumes for key words and phrases as dumb as that sounds. They use that as their first filter...which IMHO is idiotic, but it saves them time and money. It's the nature of the corporate oligarchy now.

That's exactly it, I may get a job.... but it certainly doesn't require a degree, which makes my time and money spent useless in a sense.

I have a BS in Criminal Justice. And I've had virtually no leads within that field for a number of reasons. A lot of these jobs want experience that it's impossible to have just coming out of college. 

Ive also noticed a shift towards a lot more part time employment. At least in my view, it seems like a decent number of companies would rather hire numerous part time employees as opposed to a few full time. Presumably this saves them money on having to provide benefits and other incentives.

Ive definitely been open to working outside of this immediate area, but I just haven't had really any solid leads to this point.

ive had a few friends have the resume professionally done and it has definitey helped them a bit getting some more traffic. I just hate the idea of spending hundreds of dollars for something that may ultimately not help

2 hours ago, weatherwiz said:

I wish I had a better job.  Tired of my horrid $10.10 per hour job and busting my behind off and not getting anything for it.  Sucks having to work like 30+ hours a week (plus do school and be involved with organizations) and just making enough money to pay bills and not being able to save.  

July is next week which means severe ex season will be winding down in like 7 weeks :(

I feel you there. I'm currently working a couple of part time jobs that don't pay particularly well and one is quite stressful and can be particularly draining.

I just interviewed with a warehouse and as messed up as it is, the warehouse position would be my highest paying option so far, and would be full time. Despite not being what I ever imagined, I may have to take it just to have a consistent paycheck until I hopefully find something more suitable to my education

Become a skilled tradesman like butterfish or a doctor.  Otherwise be willing to be nimble with your knowledge meaning you may want to work some unrelated job that may require a degree-and learn skills.  Many of us are using skills learned on the job and via life experience.  

Take some risks.

3 hours ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

That's exactly it, I may get a job.... but it certainly doesn't require a degree, which makes my time and money spent useless in a sense.

I have a BS in Criminal Justice. And I've had virtually no leads within that field for a number of reasons. A lot of these jobs want experience that it's impossible to have just coming out of college. 

Ive also noticed a shift towards a lot more part time employment. At least in my view, it seems like a decent number of companies would rather hire numerous part time employees as opposed to a few full time. Presumably this saves them money on having to provide benefits and other incentives.

Ive definitely been open to working outside of this immediate area, but I just haven't had really any solid leads to this point.

ive had a few friends have the resume professionally done and it has definitey helped them a bit getting some more traffic. I just hate the idea of spending hundreds of dollars for something that may ultimately not help

Vermont state police. 

Tblizz, there's a lot you can do with criminal justice. You may need to get your foot in the door and work for a county sheriff or something like that, but that is a wide open field. You could do anything from Environmental police, to fraud investigations for the state. Sometimes starting at an unlikely field can eventually lead to door openings down the road. 

30 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Death Valley 127F

I'd love to experience that once.

No wonder people tint their windows out there...what do you think the inside temp of your car is there when you get out of work in some of the surrounding areas where people actually live?  Some high-end stuff recently for the valley heaters out there.

7 hours ago, dendrite said:

Death Valley 127F

I'd love to experience that once.

I once stood outside in Needles with temperatures near 120 drinking a cup of hot coffee while smirking at passers by similar to how I'd approach a crippling blizzard.

I've experienced about 115 in the desert outside Las Vegas. It was hot enough at the airport that flights were delayed or canceled. It is something you can't ever imagine because here the air is too humid. It feels like standing in front of a giant industrial strength hair dryer, and when you breathe in, it sears your lungs and your throat immediately dries out. There is not enough chapstick in the world to protect your lips. Your eyeballs even dry out.

2 hours ago, #NoPoles said:

I've experienced about 115 in the desert outside Las Vegas. It was hot enough at the airport that flights were delayed or canceled. It is something you can't ever imagine because here the air is too humid. It feels like standing in front of a giant industrial strength hair dryer, and when you breathe in, it sears your lungs and your throat immediately dries out. There is not enough chapstick in the world to protect your lips. Your eyeballs even dry out.

I went for a short hike once at Saguaro National Park outside Tucson when it was 110+ and never went through as much water as I did before.  I remembered people always saying "but it's a dry heat" and thinking "dry heat my a**"....lol.  Hot is hot.  I also remember how you had to be careful of touching anything metal like the side of your car because it would get so hot baking in the sun.

Archived