Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Summer Banter & General Discussion/Observations

CapturedNature

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
40 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Anyone know how this round of gypsies compares to 1981 in terms of areal coverage?

Very few caterpillars here thankfully

I was alive for both outbreaks. I would say this year is way more widespread in Tolland to Union into Central Mass than last year. Last year I saw pockets like those pics. But I'm not kidding . You can drive 10-20 miles and pretty much that's what you see. Again though it's 90% Oaks around here and that's their favorite . They've also eaten the Birch and Crabapple. Barely touched anything else. Look at the maples in that pic. Fully leafed 

The 80's outbreak.. as I recall being 10-11 yrs old they hit everything. 

But the Oak population this year around here has been ripped 

41 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I was alive for both outbreaks. I would say this year is way more widespread in Tolland to Union into Central Mass than last year. Last year I saw pockets like those pics. But I'm not kidding . You can drive 10-20 miles and pretty much that's what you see. Again though it's 90% Oaks around here and that's their favorite . They've also eaten the Birch and Crabapple. Barely touched anything else. Look at the maples in that pic. Fully leafed 

The 80's outbreak.. as I recall being 10-11 yrs old they hit everything. 

But the Oak population this year around here has been ripped 

My parents say there's very few of them and no damage in North Woodstock...but that the golf course they play on 20 minutes away is covered in the things.  Said it looked like the pavement was moving on the cart paths at times because of the density of them.  

So we may have seen our last flash flood watch (in addition to blizzard watch)

Considered together, the feedback on our consolidation and reformatting proposals have been consistently positive, so we are moving forward with implementing these changes.  Here are the specific elements of what we plan to implement starting this Fall:

• Consolidate Lake Effect Snow Advisory and Freezing Rain Advisory into Winter Weather Advisory

• Consolidate Lake Effect Snow Watch and Blizzard Watch into Winter Storm Watch

• Consolidate Lake Effect Snow Warning into Winter Storm Warning (selected Central Region sites only)

In all of the above cases, all winter weather messages (including wind chill) will follow the standard formatting approach cited above.

The second set of changes, which will apply to all flood products nationwide, will be implemented with the deployment of AWIPS 17.3.1, currently scheduled for late winter/early spring 2018:

• Consolidate Flash Flood Watch into Flood Watch

• Reformat all Flood products (including River Point products) into a “What, Where, When, Additional Details, and Precautionary/Preparedness Actions” format

5 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

A very respectable 4"/hr rain rate this morning.

Epic rain delay in the Monday night golf tourney. We teed off, got one hole in, then went scrambling back to the club house to have them blow the horn. Spent the next hour at the bar (:drunk:), then went back out on the course and shot -4 over the next 8 holes. 

23 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Epic rain delay in the Monday night golf tourney. We teed off, got one hole in, then went scrambling back to the club house to have them blow the horn. Spent the next hour at the bar (:drunk:), then went back out on the course and shot -4 over the next 8 holes. 

Nice! 19th hole ftw!

1 hour ago, OceanStWx said:

should've played the back!

played Agawam Hunt in East providence yesterday, greens had those little buggers crawling on them. they haven't done damage to the trees yet, but wondering if they are starting to establish themselves around here.

12 hours ago, powderfreak said:

My parents say there's very few of them and no damage in North Woodstock...but that the golf course they play on 20 minutes away is covered in the things.  Said it looked like the pavement was moving on the cart paths at times because of the density of them.  

That sounds like the early 1980s "army worm" (forest tent caterpillar) outbreak in N. Maine and adjacent NB/PQ.  They'd strip the aspen first then move on to other hardwoods.  People were moving out of their homes because the siding would be covered and any opening of a door resulted in hundreds coming over the threshold.  Many got crushed as they crossed roads, and the sound of their multiple squishings was similar to that of pea hail.  They even stopped some trains, the slimy rails becoming unclimbable.  We were helping a friend in Ft. Kent to put a peaked and shingled roof atop his trailer, and the caterpillars were crawling everywhere.  They would climb the concrete foundation but could not pass the metal flashing between it and the trailer base, so would travel sideways.  So many would gather at the foundation/bulkhead-door corner that, several times a day, the homeowner would scoop up a snow shovel full, worms pouring over all 4 sides, and dump them into the burn barrel, kept active for that purpose.  Of course the maximum wormcrawl came during a dry period, and with no rain to wash away the carcasses, the stench became a serious issue.

In other news, no flash floods at my place, just a weak TS last evening and some showers.  Now up to 0.86"...for the month.  Had 0.29" from this recent event, though there's a line of bright echoes that might add to that, or keep to the north.  

1 hour ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Job hunting again FTL.

Quickly coming to the realization that my $40k degree is doing very little to help me out here

I have a pricey 22 year old Communications degree from U of Miami (2 years) and UMass Amherst (2 years)...And I've been an electrician for the past 15 years.  My old man wasn't too happy about my change of career, but it was the best thing I ever did.    If I need an apprentice, I'll give you a shout

Under employment is def an issue since the great recession. People may be landing jobs, but a lot of them don't require a college degree.

Tauntonblizz, what field are in again? I sort of remember hearing you were in the legal field, but maybe that was someone else. Try expanding your search a bit...i.e. if you were just limiting it to the Boston metro area, try up toward Portland and back SW toward Providence/Hartford. Kind of annoying if you were hoping to stay right in the metro area...but sometimes that's the way to get a foot in the door. I'd also recommend maybe getting your resume professionally done (or at least look into the process online a bit deeper)...that used to sound crazy and a waste of money, but more of these companies are now searching resumes for key words and phrases as dumb as that sounds. They use that as their first filter...which IMHO is idiotic, but it saves them time and money. It's the nature of the corporate oligarchy now.

Archived