Newest Member
    joxey
Summer Banter & General Discussion/Observations

CapturedNature

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, eekuasepinniW said:

Chamber of horrors, maybe.  Nobody wants to wake up needing to wear a coat in the summer.  

37 at my place yesterday, no jacket needed.  By the time I left home at 6:45 it was in the 40s, sunny, calm and comfortable.  Felt good and discouraged the skeeters, which are abundant thanks to last month's rain.  Partial overcast aft limited the diurnal range to 34F.

Next, since we were in Quebec City, I had to take a trip to the city's "snow dump".  I laughed because they actually had a sign indicating that.  The pile is enormous...no wonder it rarely melts in its entirety.  I've attached some pictures that I snow weenies will appreciate.  My wife was supportive of taking a deliberate drive to see a giant pile of snow in June....lol.

Augusta piles are down to 5-6', unlike 2008 when their mid-June height was similar to what's in your pics, though covering much less area, as befitting a city with less than 10% of Quebec's population.  That year the pile finally lost all its dirt-buried frozen stuff on August 25, probably about when those Quebec City piles melt out this year.

5 hours ago, MaineJayhawk said:

67F and mostly cloudy at Tolland WeatherSTEM as of 11:53

lol no comment from him on that.  

Looks like High of 61F up here so far today.  Looks like Montpelier struggled to even 60F. Lots of 50s for highs above 1,000ft on the PWS around here.

10 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

It's getting worse every year. With no infrastructure improvements and a rather inferior mass transit system....we traffic. 

This is the second time I've visited the UK and even though I don't think anyone would rank them particularly high in terms of how good their mass transit is, it is head and shoulders above ours. Here in the small village where my mom grew up we can hop on a train and get anywhere in Europe. We've been to York, Leeds, Manchester and Liverpool since coming up here from London earlier this week. In London, it was just as good with the underground. I realize that the size of our country makes it more difficult to have good, integrated mass transit systems but man, we should be better than we are. 

7 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I read they've crushed Central Mass from Monson to Palmer up to Amherst and at least to the Quabbin

Sturbridge is pretty covered too, I'm on the Woodstock border and don't have much in  my neighborhood but Dudley to my east  has quite a few. They're slowly working their way north.

4 minutes ago, DavisStraight said:

Sturbridge is pretty covered too, I'm on the Woodstock border and don't have much in  my neighborhood but Dudley to my east  has quite a few. They're slowly working their way north.

The NW part of Tolland. Basically north of I-84 has been crushed. Miles and miles of Oaks are stripped. Goes all the way thru Stafford and part of Somers. Both sides of 84 from Vernon line north have large portions stripped 

13 hours ago, SJonesWX said:

without a doubt. in and up we move, as DIT says. i really need to find a job outside the city, because this traffic crap is not particularly enjoyable. just yesterday it took me 15 minutes just to get out of the parking lot of a strip mall on Alewife parkway. 

If you live in Arlington, and you work in Boston, public transportation is the only way.

3 hours ago, mreaves said:

This is the second time I've visited the UK and even though I don't think anyone would rank them particularly high in terms of how good their mass transit is, it is head and shoulders above ours. Here in the small village where my mom grew up we can hop on a train and get anywhere in Europe. We've been to York, Leeds, Manchester and Liverpool since coming up here from London earlier this week. In London, it was just as good with the underground. I realize that the size of our country makes it more difficult to have good, integrated mass transit systems but man, we should be better than we are. 

Paris public transit was amazing.  We never waited more than a few minutes for a subway train.

Archived