• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Summer Banter & General Discussion/Observations

CapturedNature

Just got back from a trip to Quebec for my son's First Communion and had a couple weather (weenie) related things.  First, I had to stop by my alma mater - Lyndon State.  I wasn't able to see the new Met Lab but it sounds like first rate facility.  Next, since we were in Quebec City, I had to take a trip to the city's "snow dump".  I laughed because they actually had a sign indicating that.  The pile is enormous...no wonder it rarely melts in its entirety.  I've attached some pictures that I snow weenies will appreciate.  My wife was supportive of taking a deliberate drive to see a giant pile of snow in June....lol.

Then on Monday we got back to our hotel from touring around and I'm watching it pour outside and no sooner do I say that and hear that a tornado warned cell was moving through the area.  This is the second time that I've been in a city with a tornado warning (the first was the Springfield Tornado).  I just thought it was cool being there...I just wish I could have saw the sky better and any potential rotation.

On our way back we went through the White Mountains and enjoyed clear blue skies including a rare view of a clear Mount Washington summit.

DSCN2086.JPG

DSCN2089.JPG

DSCN2092.JPG

DSCN2289.JPG

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm flying out to Phoenix tonight for my grandmothers 90th birthday.  Man is it going to be brutal out there with the heat..... Can't wait to experience 32 degree 850mb temps... 

.PREVIOUS DISCUSSION...
Very dangerous and deadly heat will be the main story over the
next week as heights continue to increase over the region. 500 mb
heights will increase from 588-590 dm today to 596-598 dm on
Tuesday. Based on climatological data, these heights will be near
the 90th percentile today and Friday, increasing into the 99th
percentile Saturday through Monday, and then maxing out Tuesday.
700 mb temperatures will be rising from 12-14 degrees today to
18-20 degrees Monday through Wednesday. 850 mb temperatures will
also be on the increase; temperatures will be near 22-24 degrees
today, increasing to around 32 degrees Monday through Wednesday.
Thus, based on climatological data, 700 and 850 mb temperatures
will also be maxing out Monday through Wednesday.

Taking a look at the weather pattern during our 10 hottest days
since 1948 for Phoenix, on average, 500 mb heights were around
597 dm and 700/850 mb temps were near 15/31 degrees respectively.
Therefore, there is absolutely no doubt we will be near all time
highs with this heat wave, with the hottest and most dangerous
temperatures expected Monday through Wednesday. These
unseasonably hot temperatures will bring moderate to high, and
locally very high, heat risk to the region. This type of heat
should be taken extremely serious!

snip_20170615154545.png

54 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Get in and up

The story has gotten better.   Somebody left a can of Coppertone in the brewery van center console  and somewhere near Fitchburg I went to move it out of my way and it fell nozzle down and jammed while spraying. 

WTF?!?   My wife is going to think I was at the beach all day. LOL 

8 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Radiators mount up.

BML and HIE also down there well into the 30s.

40 or a bit below at my place, not all that unusual.

summer of xtremes continues!   ...12z Euro/GGEM flash a 18 to 20 C 850 pulse of air across the region over the weekend, this time toting along DP's of 20 C or higher!  

weird is what it is - huge mind-boggling swings

Since I've already ticked 90+ for the first time since 2005, maybe this summer and subsequent winter will have temp extremes like 2002 into 02-03.  In 19+ years here I've recorded 15 days reaching 90+, with 7 coming in the period 7/3-9/10/2002.  Then 02-03 featured 12 days with minima -20 or colder, most for any winter here.  (Suppression city, though, as snowfall was more than 20" BN.)

Diagnose my sting/bite:

Working outside at a natural gas facility. My full time job is to inspect fire suppression systems for industrial plants. Apparently the bees/wasps/hornets love to nest around natural gas, for whatever reason.

I was already on the lookout as multiple nests were around. I was also on the lookout for spiders as these natural gas regulation stations often go undisturbed. 

I felt a mild itch on the back of my arm. Thought nothing of it. The itch then turned to more of an irritation. Then it became itchy. I thought I had been bit by a mosquito. 

I couldn't see the bite/sting because it was on my bicep. The guy following us around to lock and unlock the facilities for Natural Grid goes, "Bro, swollen as hell!"

I looked and it basically had one small red mark surrounded by white surface swelling. The surface swelling grew much larger than a mosquito. Then the swelling went under the skin. 

I have been stung before, but not many times. I have yet to experience a sting that was painful. The last time I was stung by a wasp/hornet, I thought my back was itchy. Turned out a wasp/hornet flew under my shirt and was repeatedly stinging my back.

Is it weird that it never seems to hurt? I assume this was likely a sting and not a bite from a spider. I know close to nothing about the outdoors...

the description matches a yellow jack sting ... though most bee/hornet stings are pretty much indistinguishable ... they all look like that:  red dot with raise yellow-white welt .. and the surrounding area gets raised to some degree. I only suspect a yellow jacket because the setting you describe is ideal for them

53 minutes ago, forkyfork said:

i approve of this pattern

ecmwf-ens_z500a_us_10.png

The GEFs teleconnectors (pretty much the numerical derivative of what we see there...) has been flagging a very hot end of month. 

Folks may want to take that seriously. PHX is on the verge of historic heat and that could be partly ejected over the coming 10 days at some point, particularly that image aloft is risking a historic event.

3 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Classic dry airmass large diurnal swings in the mountain valleys.

From 36F to 76F at the ASOS and still climbing this afternoon.

Beauty to see these hi/low ranges in mid-June.  Definition of Chamber weather.  SLK wins with the 47F diurnal swing.

MVL 78/36

SLK 78/31

HIE 77/35

BML 77/35

MPV 77/40

8 minutes ago, eekuasepinniW said:

Chamber of horrors, maybe.  Nobody wants to wake up needing to wear a coat in the summer.  

SLK was in the 60s by 9am after a low of 31F...it rises fast this time of year ;).

Figured you'd enjoy that post in the NNE thread by Alex of frost this morning at Bretton Woods with a low of 34F.

15 hours ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

It took me an hour to get from Cambridge to Concord Rotary.   How is there so much F'n  traffic in the middle of the afternoon?    I thought I was safe leaving by 2 PM, is it always like this now  or did I just forget over the past 10 years?

there was an accident on 128 right around the rest area. the entire area was a commuting disaster. it took me 35 minutes to get from Cambridge to Lexington, which is a 6 mile drive.

but to your point, it has gotten very heavy in the Cambridge rt 2 area (alewife) in the last year. it has been nuts.

19 minutes ago, SJonesWX said:

there was an accident on 128 right around the rest area. the entire area was a commuting disaster. it took me 35 minutes to get from Cambridge to Lexington, which is a 6 mile drive.

but to your point, it has gotten very heavy in the Cambridge rt 2 area (alewife) in the last year. it has been nuts.

It's getting worse every year. With no infrastructure improvements and a rather inferior mass transit system....we traffic. 

34 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

It's getting worse every year. With no infrastructure improvements and a rather inferior mass transit system....we traffic. 

without a doubt. in and up we move, as DIT says. i really need to find a job outside the city, because this traffic crap is not particularly enjoyable. just yesterday it took me 15 minutes just to get out of the parking lot of a strip mall on Alewife parkway. 

1 hour ago, SJonesWX said:

I avoid that coming in at an ungodly hour.  Going home at a normal rush-hour time, 93 from Government Center to Mystic Parkway sucks.  I left last night at 8:00p.m. and I got to Alewife in 18 minutes.  If I leave between 3:30 and 6:30, that same ride can take me 45 minutes plus.

Any movie recommendations?

Today
Showers likely, mainly after 5pm. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 68. Southeast wind around 10 mph, with gusts as high as 21 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New precipitation amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch possible.
Tonight
Showers likely and possibly a thunderstorm before 8pm, then a chance of showers and thunderstorms between 8pm and 2am, then a chance of showers after 2am. Patchy fog. Otherwise, cloudy, with a low around 63. Southeast wind 3 to 5 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New rainfall amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch, except higher amounts possible in thunderstorms.
Saturday
A chance of showers, with thunderstorms also possible after 9am. Areas of fog before 9am. Otherwise, cloudy, with a high near 78. Calm wind becoming south around 6 mph in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation is 30%. New rainfall amounts of less than a tenth of an inch, except higher amounts possible in thunderstorms.
Saturday Night
A slight chance of showers and thunderstorms. Patchy fog after 10pm. Otherwise, mostly cloudy, with a low around 66. South wind around 5 mph. Chance of precipitation is 20%.
Sunday
A slight chance of showers and thunderstorms. Patchy fog before 11am. Otherwise, mostly cloudy, with a high near 81. South wind 7 to 13 mph, with gusts as high as 28 mph. Chance of precipitation is 20%.
Sunday Night
A slight chance of showers and thunderstorms after 9pm. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 67. Chance of precipitation is 20%.
Monday
A chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 81. Chance of precipitation is 50%.
Monday Night
Showers likely and possibly a thunderstorm. Cloudy, with a low around 65. Chance of precipitation is 70%.
Tuesday
A chance of showers before 5pm. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 80. Chance of precipitation is 40%.

1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

There's been a lot of chatter that the EPS has been having issues. Notice the NAO went from - to + on the GEFS. The idea on streets is big heat June 28-July 6

The streets are at odds with the look, GEFS and GGEM must be suffering the same issues.

gem-ens_T2maMean_eus_12.png

gfs-ens_T2maMean_eus_10.png

Archived