Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Summer Banter & General Discussion/Observations

CapturedNature

14 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Lightning strikes almost define "arbitrary and capricious", at least from a non-scientific view.  Many years back (1965, IIRC) two campers at Chimney Pond were killed by lightning, which hit there rather than on the Katahdin ridges 2,000'+ higher and less than a mile away.

Mid 40s this morning, 65-70 for the likely high - wish this could be the rule all summer, with some overnight rain for the garden, of course.  Was nice to walk the dog at 5 this morning without having to deal with the swarms of mosquitos that have been greeting us during warmer and more humid excursions.

I almost get the feeling this is a normal summer in terms of periodicity/oscillation (frequency) between air masses in the half ... The warm sides tend to be more so anomalous than any cool sides; then when the westerlies really do relax across southern Canada (which they haven't yet), we have a memorable stretch... say July 20 to Aug 10 or so.

Front loaded winter this year... crash autumn style

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
44 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

High of 67F off a low of 42F at 700ft MVL.  

Dews in the 30s all day under cobalt blue skies.

Now this is nice weather. 

We've got a good shot at getting into the 30s tonight I think...tickling 38-39F based on afternoon dews and good rad cooling tonight.

summer of xtremes continues!   ...12z Euro/GGEM flash a 18 to 20 C 850 pulse of air across the region over the weekend, this time toting along DP's of 20 C or higher!  

weird is what it is - huge mind-boggling swings

by the way folks... it's real early but WOW a that heat signal way out there... we'll see where the enfeebled teleconnector correlations vaguely support going forward...  

Right now that looks like one of those coast to coast hemispheric decadal deals

10 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

by the way folks... it's real early but WOW a that heat signal way out there... we'll see where the enfeebled teleconnector correlations vaguely support going forward...  

Right now that looks like one of those coast to coast hemispheric decadal deals

Prior to this recent heat, you indicated signs of a Sonoran heat release. Did that occur?

13 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Tomorrow won't be bad. It's really only Sunday into Tuesday-ish. Then back to trough it seems. Prolonged torch is done for now.

Trough in June doesn't mean cool. I think some people think that's what you mean. It means days of humidity then a front turn sun and 80 like yesterday , today. 

31 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

What about high temps? Do PWS agree with ASOS temps most of the time? Just seems to run cooler than you'd expect.

Yeah the highs are pretty similar to surrounding areas.  It fits with 1V4 and MPV most of the time...MPV is a few hundred feet higher and often has a degree or two cooler for max temps but can be a degree or two warmer at night.  

I always look at the BTV climo maps and it seems to fit for highs.  At night it can hang with the best radiators at times too.

Like this was the last one for the highs on Tue.  It's the 81F in south central Lamoille county. 

It at least always seems in the ballpark with surrounding stations.  It's pure rural field climo between the ridges.  Like if it's a perfect location, IMO for a weather obs station.  No trees remotely close, no development, etc.

IMG_6123.thumb.PNG.e2997303af0f74c73820710f88dd1765.PNG

6 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

It took me an hour to get from Cambridge to Concord Rotary.   How is there so much F'n  traffic in the middle of the afternoon?    I thought I was safe leaving by 2 PM, is it always like this now  or did I just forget over the past 10 years?

Population growth. It gets worse every year.

Archived