Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Summer Banter & General Discussion/Observations

CapturedNature

43 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

that's funny ... about the '1212 suffix ... I was a small child in the late 1970s in Kalamazoo Michigan and used to regularly dial 343-1212, as I was obsessed with weather even then.  Mainly when it was 36 F in October with light rain falling - ha.  They used to give the temperature but it updated every 5 minutes. Then the forecast came right after.    

But yeah..the urban heat island thing is something i first learned about when i moved back east with the family back in the mid 1980s... in the 1990s, i often would crash at house-parties in the city or around Chelsea and Cambridge in the summers and that's where I first experienced an 87 at 1:45 am pilin' out of a pub on a bank thermometer display near-by. 

TT.....  I use to call the weather phone literally a dozen times a day.  It was the same number in Baltimore and then Boston.  936-1212.  I was just a kid, way before the internet.  The only weather info was on the local TV stations.  Mornings and then at 6pm.  

About heat islands.  I was never great in math and physics so I chickened out in collage and majored in Physical Geography.  Total waste.  I was able to take some Met intro courses.  In my senior year of collage I had to write a paper which was my whole grade.  I decided to study the Baltimore Urban heat island.  The exact title was "The seasonal and Diurnal Variability of Baltimore's Urban heat island".   I took 8 weather coop sites and crunched 20 years of obs (no excel back then)and then looked at temperature and precip over the Metro Baltimore.   I thought it was actually a great  paper.  Still do to this day.  The city had a vast impact on weather.  Of course it was warmer but even affected precip.  In the summer the eastern suburbs got much more rain than the west suburbs.  I attributed this to thunderstorm enhancement as cells moved east over the city.  I saw that many times with my own eyes as I lives NW of the city.  Anyhow I think parts of the paper were over the professors head.  Only got a B+ instead of an A.  Maybe I was (and still am) too full of myself.  It is a good read.  I should PDF it and put it up on AMWX someday....anyhow...

91.9F should be my high.   With dews in the low 60's and a breeze it was a good old fashion hot summer day but nothing memorable....

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

88F so far for the high so far at MVL (700ft) and settled back to 86F at 4pm.  

93F in BTV at 4pm.

Crazy it's 7F warmer in BTV despite only 300ft of elevation difference....though MVL has very small amounts of anything but grass and vegetation near it.  Rural airstrip in a field between mountains.

1 hour ago, wxeyeNH said:

I grew up in Baltimore in the 1970's.   Back then the official city temperature readings were taken at "the custom house"  downtown.  I think on the roof.   It was finally moved but for years that is the place it was taken from.  I use to call 936-1212  which gave the hourly temperatures.  Also the paper would print the hourly temps the next day.  In that awful urban heat island 90F temperatures would be recorded at midnight.  I don't think the city would cool off more than the upper 80's on the hot city nights.  

When I was there in early Sept 1965 (for JHU football) we had a late evening with reported temp of 86, RH of 85.  That's a dew of 81, and I could believe it - the masonry walls in our dorm were just a tad cooler, and condensation was running down onto the floor.  Just right climo for two-a-days.

Nicer sleeping weather on Wednesday night with patchy fake frost in the cold spots.

"Some patchy frost is possible at slk and across the deeper protected valleys of the nek. Sounding data shows a sharp low level inversion developing overnight...which will produce warmer midslope/Ridgetop temps...with coolest values in the deeper valleys."

Here's a really dumb question that I probably know the answer too.

When assessing for a backdoor cold front is it best to look at 850mb, 925mb, or the sfc?  I know you typically look at 850mb and look for real strong kinks within the isohytes and strong wind shifts and such but since backdoors are more "shallow" I would think you look below.  I was just looking at the wpc page and according to their frontal analysis this front tomorrow would come from the NW like a regular front...?

Just now, weatherwiz said:

Here's a really dumb question that I probably know the answer too.

When assessing for a backdoor cold front is it best to look at 850mb, 925mb, or the sfc?  I know you typically look at 850mb and look for real strong kinks within the isohytes and strong wind shifts and such but since backdoors are more "shallow" I would think you look below.  I was just looking at the wpc page and according to their frontal analysis this front tomorrow would come from the NW like a regular front...?

Think I may have answered my question...my guess is it's coming from the NE based on the kinks of the isobars at the sfc 

2 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I still can't understand why folks are calling this a backdoor. It's not. It's a normal cold front moving Nw to Se

not the case actually.  It is a backdoor...if you look at 2M map (use GFS for example) take a look at the kink in the isohytes:

backdoor_zpsmbpfscvo.jpg

Now go take a look at the 850mb map and you'll see there are no kinks within the isohytes approaching tomorrow.  This front is a very shallow front and it's defined by differences between ocean temps and landmass temps...not a difference of land airmasses

6 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

not the case actually.  It is a backdoor...if you look at 2M map (use GFS for example) take a look at the kink in the isohytes:

backdoor_zpsmbpfscvo.jpg

Now go take a look at the 850mb map and you'll see there are no kinks within the isohytes approaching tomorrow.  This front is a very shallow front and it's defined by differences between ocean temps and landmass temps...not a difference of land airmasses

I don't agree. Backdoors coming from E or NE.  This is not a backdoor

4 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I don't agree. Backdoors coming from E or NE.  This is not a backdoor

the kinks in the isohytes drop from northeasterly to southwesterly suggesting NE to SW movement.  But this front is very shallow and really only seen looking at 2M maps.  Pretty non-existent at 925 and 850.  You just totally scared me though b/c kinks like that are actually usually associated with NW to SE movement fronts I think...but the movement of the kinks goes from Gulf of Maine back SW

Still no 90F here in MVL land...89F was the highest we got today at the 00z max/min.  88F yesterday.  MPV was 88F today after 88F yesterday.

While BTV torched well into the 90s (95F and 94F), it looks like the interior sites of MVL and MPV failed to hit 90F again.  BTV put up a few 90s earlier in the season too during that streak in May while the interior ASOS failed to hit 90F.

Just now, Ginx snewx said:

Backdoor

Man I think I see a period of low-30s dews up here in that graphic.

Can't wait for that...though the last two days have been pretty weak sauce all things considered for dews during high heat.

Upper 80s and dews of 59-63 during max heating isn't too rough.

Archived