joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Summer Banter & General Discussion/Observations

CapturedNature

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BTV also tied its record high minimum of 71F today, set back in 1895. 

They'll likely set a record high min again tomorrow as tonight may not get below the low/mid 70s with strong southerly flow.  

Then they'll also get tomorrow's record high.

The place where warm records go to be broken, lol.

8 hours ago, powderfreak said:

BTV also tied its record high minimum of 71F today, set back in 1895. 

They'll likely set a record high min again tomorrow as tonight may not get below the low/mid 70s with strong southerly flow.  

Then they'll also get tomorrow's record high.

The place where warm records go to be broken, lol.

Glad to be missing that. Was actually wishing I had a light jacket as we were going to the British Museum this morning. 

2 hours ago, dendrite said:

Jesus...what a torchy night. Finally below 70 at MHT. BOS and ORH with a low of 73 so far. 65 here. 

interestingly ... it got all the way down to 70 when I was leaving the driveway at 7:06 this morning, which it might be safe to say 67 or so...?

But it temp popped all the way to 81 at the junction of 190 and Rt 2 there near Leomenster, and pegged low 80s clear through Worcester.  

I figure the 67 to 70 is typical in Ayer which is pretty damn low in elevation/Nashoba Valley... I think it's 190 foot above sea level at Town Hall.  It's typically one of the last to scour out and the first to bottom out in the winter... 

But 80 to 83 F at 7:15 AM is right up there with the very warmest I've ever seen at that type of early morning hour, for rural non-urban contaminated settings...  I mean 190 cuts through the Worcester hills with granite faces and woodlands most of the way through that part of Massachusetts and the dash therm was pegging 81 before 7:30.  wow.

The old triple digit saying goes, 90 by 9:00 ... seems that's close to doable

By the way, 00z NAM was more optimistic for 90 tomorrow ...

85/61 at BOS though. We're dealing with relatively lower dews so this airmass will have more ability to warm than say an 85/73 deal. 100F is tough to do without 20C+ 850s though so I wouldn't expect it today. Someone will probably tickle 97F though which is nothing to sneeze at.

Just now, dendrite said:

85/61 at BOS though. We're dealing with relatively lower dews so this airmass will have more ability to warm than say an 85/73 deal. 100F is tough to do without 20C+ 850s though so I wouldn't expect it today. Someone will probably tickle 97F though which is nothing to sneeze at.

Tickle pickle?

On ‎6‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 11:38 AM, BrianW said:

As I mentioned earlier I was in Dayville by Ginx a few days ago. Everything was stripped clean and they were eating pines it was that bad.. Nothing was left.

I think I remember reading that you know your trees. I have 2 huge green ash trees my great uncle planted in the late 50's. I bought his house  4 years ago and have been trying to keep them alive with the emerald ash borer now present here. I have been treating them with Dominion 2L 21% Imidacloprid via soil drench and basal trunk spraying for the last 4 years. Seems to be working and at $20 a bottle for treatment it seems to be worth it. Though I hate using pesticides the trees have some sentimental value and are just awesome looking trees and would love to keep them alive.

Picture of one of them.

ash.JPG

Great looking tree, and with a history that adds to its value for you.  Green ash is probably the most commonly planted ash for street/yard use, as it's apparently the most tolerant of the family for the challenging conditions at those locations.  Unfortunately, it may also be the least resistant ash to EAB, though none of that family show much resistance, with the possible exception of blue ash.  I'll admit to very little knowledge of systemic pesticide treatments for individual trees.  Such action can be valuable for saving important specimens, but impractical when managing 600,000 acres of forest, which is partly my responsibility.  I'm guessing you've consulted with an experienced arborist in choosing pesticides and delivery method, and that sort of professional knows far, far more about such treatments than I do.

18 minutes ago, dendrite said:

No 80 dews?

13 hours ago, Lava Rock said:

88.2f here. Winds were pretty impressive

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

88 for the max at my place.  Winds gusting past 30 dumped a mid-sized (8" diam/30 ft tall) black cherry into the overflow pool from our spring.  Saw 2 other horizontal trees of similar size on the morning commute.  1st significant wind after leaf-out always finds some winter-weakened trees.

Low was about 62 here, launchpad 11F higher than yesterday but dews may be higher today as well, which might keep my place from touching 90.

16 minutes ago, dendrite said:

No 90F @ 10 either. Although 89F at FIT and BVY. FIT is 7F ahead of yesterday's pace that netted 94F.

Yesterday did have decent clouds while today is cloudless.  That should help.  FIT should get to 96 or 97.   

I sorta lucked out today. Daughter is sick so I'm home in the AC. My classroom will be an oven 

Archived