SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Summer Banter & General Discussion/Observations

CapturedNature

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really, really love GOES-16 so far. Virtually chasing in ND today and it really is amazing what we can see.

With the 1 min mesoscale sector overhead, you can watch turkey towers percolating in real time. Currently the congested Cu out there is about to light up. You can see the high clouds coming over the top (which indicates the jet forcing is arriving). The congested Cu almost instantly becomes towers once that cirrus gets overhead. 

It'll be cool when we get to use it around here. There's nothing quite like watching convection fizzle in real time.

4 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

gypsy disaster in Plainfield Ct and just when I thought I was out of the woods massive influx overnight ,ugh, 

DB6CoiNWsAARZcN.jpg

DB6Cqb5WAAAiyTc.jpg

DB6Csp6XUAAdbCe.jpg

I was working in Dayville yesterday. There were thousands of them everywhere. You could hear them eating and their poop raining down.  They were eating pine trees as everything else was stripped. It was unbelievable how stripped all the trees were driving up 395.

2 minutes ago, BrianW said:

I was working in Dayville yesterday. There were thousands of them everywhere. You could hear them eating and their poop raining down.  They were eating pine trees as everything else was stripped. It was unbelievable how stripped all the trees were driving up 395.

Yep, I am sure you passed my exit 91 and saw this, they seemed to be moving North this year compared to last.

1 hour ago, Ginx snewx said:

Yep, I am sure you passed my exit 91 and saw this, they seemed to be moving North this year compared to last.

My parents are at the camp in North Woodstock opening it up for the summer and said those things are everywhere.  They played golf with other family somewhere between there and Storrs and said the golf course was getting decimating the trees lining the fairways.  

1 hour ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

That's awful, so early in the season too. That means the trees haven't had time to store enough energy to make it through next winter 

I don't know if it is early. We were in N RI last June around this time and they had defoliate big swaths 

Here they have barely shown up

3 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

gypsy disaster in Plainfield Ct and just when I thought I was out of the woods massive influx overnight ,ugh, 

DB6CoiNWsAARZcN.jpg

DB6Cqb5WAAAiyTc.jpg

DB6Csp6XUAAdbCe.jpg

Effing things! can't figure out how bad they are going to be up this way (MetroWest). They seem to be starting on the smaller trees???

2 hours ago, powderfreak said:

My parents are at the camp in North Woodstock opening it up for the summer and said those things are everywhere.  They played golf with other family somewhere between there and Storrs and said the golf course was getting decimating the trees lining the fairways.  

Its fun putting when they're all over the greens, worse is Ct than most of Mass.

Does anyone understand what to do for this problem?  I know how to find the velocity (x2 - X1 / t2 - t1) and acceleration (v2 - v1 / t2 - t1).  

What I don't get is how to go about this since I'm not asked to find a specific acceleration and a given time interval so I'm guessing it's the acceleration (or average acceleration) for the full time.  

What I tried doing originally was incorrect.  Thought I could just pick like 4010 - 3065 and divide that by 40 - 35 to get v1 then do 2250 - 1563 / 25to get v2.  Then I would subtract those two differences but wasn't sure then what I would use for t1 and t2.  

This is why I'll never be smart with this stuff.  Can't figure out easy stuff and spend way too much time struggling with it.  

07B2EFE8-40DF-4DF5-9C56-02D187D2B03C_zps

13 hours ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

That's awful, so early in the season too. That means the trees haven't had time to store enough energy to make it through next winter 

Gypsy moth larvae like their leaves young and tender.  And it's only when the good stuff has all been consumed before they attack less preferred species like pine and hemlock.  (Pines usually have buds in reserve and can recover at least once; in the early 1980s outbreak, a complete defoliation and hemlocks were gone.

The deciduous trees will probably grow another set of leaves in July - "probably" because a tree can only do this for 2-3 years before the root reserves are gone and it dies.

16 hours ago, OceanStWx said:

I really, really love GOES-16 so far. Virtually chasing in ND today and it really is amazing what we can see.

With the 1 min mesoscale sector overhead, you can watch turkey towers percolating in real time. Currently the congested Cu out there is about to light up. You can see the high clouds coming over the top (which indicates the jet forcing is arriving). The congested Cu almost instantly becomes towers once that cirrus gets overhead. 

It'll be cool when we get to use it around here. There's nothing quite like watching convection fizzle in real time.

Yet often in hi resolution satellite loops on days with lower K/index type convection ... so often we see anvil shading be quite effective at neutralizing diabatic instability, and the region gets scoured out of riffraff CU field underneath them.

I see that in the Plains a lot, and even around here sometimes in the summer... A tower "punches through" the 700 mb pinch point in the sounding and this anvil plume erupts with certain rapidity ...fanning/smearing down wind. Underneath it's expanse the CU evaporates.  The anvil evaporates or peals off and moves on and leaves a kind of void visible where it was densest. 

I guess it's the difference between purer mechanical forcing and conditional instability.

15 hours ago, powderfreak said:

They're terrible where I work in Brooklyn. I've only seen a few at my house in Woodstock Valley.  

Meanwhile.....while we wait for the heat, deep winter in the high Cascades and Sierra Nevada's.   Snowing hard right now at Batchelor ski resort in Oregon.  Even sticking at base level.  That lone car would probably be me if I lived in Bend Oregon.  Down the road 20 miles its green and late spring. I'd be driving up to the mountain to take a look being the weather weenie I am....

Batchelor.jpg

Archived