Newest Member
    joxey
The 2017 Atlantic Hurricane Season Thread

George BM

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Bob Chill said:

Eps shows a ton of spread and isn't very menacing honeslty. I don't have member spaghetti plots but I would guess there are a lot of offshore tracks in the mix. Mslp panels show a lot of divergence d8-10.

Yes - it seems quite consolidated on track through 192:

ecmwf-ens_z500a_us_9.png

But then you can see a clear divide into two camps - FL vs EC/OTS beginning at hr 216, after which, I guess, it's off to the races.

ecmwf-ens_z500a_us_10.png

Just now, BTRWx said:

It doesn't exist yet.

Well yeah, I'm just talking the run in general. No one knows where this storm is going to head to, but the possibilities of a landfall are certainly within the realm of possibility. A lot has to right though. Ingredients are there, but will Mother Nature mix them is anyone's guess. Looking forward to ensemble packages. They'll shed more light on the long range beyond D5.

3 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Yea, but track jumped north well before that. Definitely been a trend towards favoring a recurve today in general.

Strength of system down south of 20N was a major factor this run. 10+ mb stronger and can bully the southern edge of the ridge. This can help it gain more latitude from the get go. In other news, New York would have some swaying skyscrapers if this run verified lol

12 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

The most concerning thing to me is that every single op and many ensembles are unwavering in deepening this and keeping it strong. Intensity forecasting leaves a lot to be desired, but you've got your head in the sand if you don't perk up a little seeing run after run of an incredibly deep storm in the southwest Atlantic.

I think someone mentioned that early strengthening can force a re-curve. (Was that you?) I'd think that idea would also go with a stronger system generally.

8 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

The most concerning thing to me is that every single op and many ensembles are unwavering in deepening this and keeping it strong. Intensity forecasting leaves a lot to be desired, but you've got your head in the sand if you don't perk up a little seeing run after run of an incredibly deep storm in the southwest Atlantic.

This could actually save the conus from a direct hit. I know you know this but it's worth discussing. If I was running a book I would be hedging no landfall. Without the capture the gfs was a total OTS solution and it was evident fairly early on with the jump north in track. 

On the other hand....the fact that ops are being fairly consistent with having some sort of weakness or closed ull in the east, the door remains open for a less common track. Weren't many phase/captures on the eps from what I could see. The intricate timing and feature placement required for a phase or even a westward tug won't be accurately modeled for 5 days at the absolute earliest though. 

Archived