Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The 2017 Atlantic Hurricane Season Thread

George BM

7 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

It's reassuring to see the hurricane models point to a landfall and not a side swipe.  I hope the Euro continues to trend west and this wasn't a one time fluke run.

0z euro extrapolation @hr252 takes the eye right overhead. I'm hugging that until the gfs comes back with an up the bay. 

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, WxWatcher007 said:

Wait. So are you saying a Cat 4 into NC and then just west of DC isn't a real event?

We've seen these things fall through our hands too many times.  I'd like to see the Euro ensembles close off the OTS solution this weekend.  The 00z OP was a nice surprise to wake up to but the ensembles don't inspire much confidence. This could be that one tease run of the OP.

Something I haven't seen discussed yet but worth mentioning. Canes that track into NC and head north usually accelerate poleward very quickly. With the block showing up on the ops and ens that wouldn't be the case. Especially with a westerly component to the track. It would be a 24 hour storm even at our latitude. 

9 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Something I haven't seen discussed yet but worth mentioning. Canes that track into NC and head north usually accelerate poleward very quickly. With the block showing up on the ops and ens that wouldn't be the case. Especially with a westerly component to the track. It would be a 24 hour storm even at our latitude. 

Didn't Irene or Isabel accelerate to over 40 mph once inland? Those two hauled ass due to no HP overhead 

1 minute ago, H2O said:

Didn't Irene or Isabel accelerate to over 40 mph once inland? Those two hauled ass due to no HP overhead 

Isabel had a weird h5 setup leading in but it was a beeline track for sure. Storm made landfall on a nw trajectory and just kept going. Irma has potential to come in due north and slow down if it makes a left turn. 

Just one of many possible outcomes but the primary reason the ops and ens look the same right now with the track is because they all agree on a strong block halting north or northeasterly motion. Risk of a FL landfall is increasing. Irma is modeled to miss the trough so the storm may enter an area of steering flow no mans land. That would make things really complicated and prone to large shifts in track in the med to short range. The cone would be a double or triple scoop. Lol

Both Isabel and Connie had an initial period of TS-winds move into the region well ahead of the COC, when the COC was still in *NC*. Connie, especially, was a rather slow mover for our latitude. By the time the core of both storms got here, the winds weren't appreciably higher than that first band of TS-force winds. 

I think the 24-hr climb the Euro is depicting would be the similar-- a raggedy core by the time it got up here, but TS-gusts for a long duration given the expansive wind field. The GFS's depiction would be a higher impact event for the area, IMO, even though the center is further from us because of the faster movement once inland and the fact that the center goes west of us. So although the cities would miss the heaviest rains, the strong wind would be prolonged out of the south--- the tree trouble direction. 

10 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

You do get a lot more rainfall on the W side though.  I was on the NE side of Sandy and got 1" of rain- granted we had 90 mph winds and a 25 hr blackout lol.

yea i was mostly referring to winds.  i could honestly envision a cat 3 off of OC with 20-40mph gusts here.  i'm being serious.  history is key...how many times has dc ever had a 80+ mph gust.  pretty uncommon.  generally speaking (unless we're talking about a freak tornado), we don't do big wind here very well.

1 hour ago, WxWatcher007 said:

That's a great point. Depending on how far west the center gets, a Hazel like track up this way at the currently progged strength would be a historic hit. Add in a large cane that winds down slowly and a slower than climo track and we would probably be devastated through the region and maybe beyond. 

Wouldn't it weaken though since it's moving slower and would take longer to get to our latitude?

2 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

I wonder what physical size Irma will be as it nears landfall. NHC mentioned in there disco that it probably be decent size. I remember tracking Hugo and i was in awe of its overall massive size.

Look at that map I posted above. The GFS thinks it would be incredibly large. That hurricane force wind field is ridiculous.

Archived