SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
The 2017 Atlantic Hurricane Season Thread

George BM

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Climatology says this is a likely fish, but it is important to note that it's likely to pass through Herbert's box, which will shift climatology a bit there. There is pretty strong consensus on that happening.

The ensemble forecast for the Euro shows just how wide ranging the solutions are right now. Remember folks, there's a reason the NHC doesn't forecast past 120h.

1 hour ago, mappy said:

lot of definitive statements being thrown around all over the place (not so much here in this thread). Main tropical thread is lol. Twitter is lol. News is lol.

That is part of the problem, some people see one model run and take as gospel. No one should be making any definitive statements at this point since alot can happen over the next 7-10 days.

1 hour ago, WxWatcher007 said:

It makes my head hurt. People hanging on d10+ deterministic solutions and intensity guidance :lmao: 

Edit: oh, and people reflexively crapping on the potential just because it's at long range. 

Part of the enjoyment for me in model tracking is watching how the models evolve from their longer range projections to what actually verifies at game time. You get to learn models tendencies and bias' and you can get a feel of where they may be going with the final solution. But to take 10+ day output as set in stone will get you burned just about every time. Learned this the hard way through 2+ decades of following 10+ day blizzards only to have it verify as sunny and in the 60's. :)

At this point, irregardless of what the 00Z Euro and the 06Z GFS show, I still think we are very much in the game with almost all options still on the table. IMO about the only option I see quickly slipping away is a Gulf entry. Though I could still see it possibly making it into the Gulf but via an overland Florida route. 

1 minute ago, weatherCCB said:

Obviously all options are on the table .  But this could be a case where it takes a track similar to Gloria in 1985.

Scares the hell out of a lot of people. major beach erosion  and big waves but no landfall. 

Didn't Gloria landfall on long island, or were you just referring to our area?

I'm surprised there wasn't more talk about the 6z gefs. It seems like everyone is focused on the op which is crazy. GEFS mean panels are much more ominous than ANY previous GEFS run. Weakness in the h5 pattern shows up pretty clearly. The gefs mean shows increasing odds at either a US LF or a VERY close pass

gfs-ens_z500a_us_40.png

EPS mean for the same period shows a similar but less pronounced weakness in the UL pattern to the NW of the storm:

ecmwf-ens_z500a_us_11.png

Just now, Bob Chill said:

I'm surprised there wasn't more talk about the 6z gefs. It seems like everyone is focused on the op which is crazy. GEFS mean panels are much more ominous than ANY previous GEFS run. Weakness in the h5 pattern shows up pretty clearly. The gefs mean shows increasing odds at either a US LF or a VERY close pass

EPS mean for the same period shows a similar but less pronounced weakness in the UL pattern to the NW of the storm:

jbenedet brought these up in the main thread but it seems everyone ignored it to dub Irma a fish.

EPS MSLP panel shows it even more clearly. HP draped over the top. This panel also shows potential for an EC landfall or very close pass as HP to the north slides eastward. 

ecmwf-ens_mslpa_us_11.png

My total WAG (and that's all anyone has at this lead) is that Irma is going to probably at least pass pretty close to the conus before turning eastward somewhere in the mid-latitudes. For the center to pass to our west with an EC landfall, the only easy way is some sort of partial or full phase. While that's on the table it's probably pretty low on the prob scale because the timing of discrete features has to hit just right. Probably be at least 4-5 days before we can start to hug or rule out that solution. 

3 minutes ago, NortheastPAWx said:

jbenedet brought these up in the main thread but it seems everyone ignored it to dub Irma a fish.

That thread is terrible. I went there last night and had to slowly walk backwards and close the door gently. I like our thread because it focuses on the most important place. Our yards. lol

2 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

EPS MSLP panel shows it even more clearly. HP draped over the top. This panel also shows potential for an EC landfall or very close pass as HP to the north slides eastward. 

ecmwf-ens_mslpa_us_11.png

My total WAG (and that's all anyone has at this lead) is that Irma is going to probably at least pass pretty close to the conus before turning eastward somewhere in the mid-latitudes. For the center to pass to our west with an EC landfall, the only easy way is some sort of partial or full phase. While that's on the table it's probably pretty low on the prob scale because the timing of discrete features has to hit just right. Probably be at least 4-5 days before we can start to hug or rule out that solution. 

I sort of feel the same way that's why mentioned Gloria.   Should be exciting times coming up though and you're right about the other thread there's a lot of  misnformation being passed around .

1 minute ago, weatherCCB said:

I sort of feel the same way that's why mentioned Gloria.   Should be exciting times coming up though and you're right about the other thread there's a lot of  misnformation being passed around .

If the windfield and storm is a big as we think it will be at our latitude, a close pass is still a win. If I see low level clouds zipping along and 25-30mph gusts in my yard, I'll consider that a check mark in the MA win column. 

2 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

If the windfield and storm is a big as we think it will be at our latitude, a close pass is still a win. If I see low level clouds zipping along and 25-30mph gusts in my yard, I'll consider that a check mark in the MA win column. 

25 to 30mph gusts are pretty pedestration. We get a stronger wind day on an average fall day around here with wording for gusts over 50 with some of those tight pressure days.

My goal for a win is always sustained 40mph+ at dca.

1 minute ago, Bob Chill said:

No doubt about that .  I was under a hurricane watch for Gloria.  If Irma  makes a close approach as a cat 4 or 5 I could see that happening again.   Like I said fun times ahead . 

18 minutes ago, Subtropics said:

25 to 30mph gusts are pretty pedestration. We get a stronger wind day on an average fall day around here with wording for gusts over 50 with some of those tight pressure days.

My goal for a win is always sustained 40mph+ at dca.

With our track record with tropical actually touching us, 40mph sustained is a major long shot. I just want to be able to see part of the storm with my own 2 eyes and a real sky. Digital fantasies can only do so much...lol

Just now, losetoa6 said:

6z gefs close up at hour 240. Just as Bob said Gefs actually looks the best it has to date. Ensembles the way to go for sure.

http://www.atmos.albany.edu/products/gefsplots/F240.html

Nice plot. I was confused this morning when I woke up. I looks at the 0z EPS and 6z GEFS and was like "oh wow, they look fairly threatening". And then I started reading the board and got really confused. haha

GEFS has been consistently showing a highly favored offshore track until 6z. That can't just totally be ignored. 

I don't ask this to, in ANY way, to compare Irma and Sandy, but could someone explain why the high pressure building in after the frontal passage could not turn an Irma moving due North back to the East coast as happened with Sandy?  It seems the discussion centers around a hit or a turn and out.  Is a Sandy type track on the the table or is the "set up" totally different?

Thanks.

16 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

6z gefs close up at hour 240. Just as Bob said Gefs actually looks the best it has to date. Ensembles the way to go for sure.

http://www.atmos.albany.edu/products/gefsplots/F240.html

http://www.atmos.albany.edu/products/gefsplots/F252.html

Cause I got bored... here is a list of ensemble members with hits for our region based on time and member:

At 228 -- p02 and p12 are hits

234 -- p02 and p08 and p12 are hits

240 -- p02 and p05 and p08 and p12 are hits

246 -- c00 and p02 and p05 and p08 and p12 are hits... p20 with the brush

252 -- c00 and p05 and p06 

258 -- c00 and p03 and p04 and p05 and p06 

264 -- p03 and p04 and p06

270 -- p03 and p04 and p06 and p11 (brush) and p19

276 -- p03 and p04 and p11 (brush) and p19

Archived