Newest Member
    SnowHabit
The 2017 Atlantic Hurricane Season Thread

George BM

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Bob Chill said:

This is one of the most intriguing storms in quite a while. No doubt about that. If you just play the odds from analogs then a goal post track would be the most likely outcome. This one is different. Euro isn't wavering with the atl ridge at all. Run over run its very strong and showing no signs of opening the door for the easy escape. And that ridge placement and strength is in the mid range. Euro is pretty damn good with that stuff. The approaching trough in the east is pretty locked in with getting out of the way in time. Still doesn't mean an offshore track isn't very much in the cards. 

I'm just rooting for the center to pass to our west. Don't care if landfall were to happen in the Gulf. I just want to be on the fun side. Moral police can arrest me for rooting for that too. Idgaf

If we get a storm of this intensity to pass just west of the bay... it will be as bad or worse than Isabel in terms of storm surge. that would be cool and really horrible at the same time.

Stark contrast in setup from the overnight run of the Euro and the previous 2 runs. Euro now has the higher heights in the central North Atlantic as opposed to previous runs which have had it located farther south in the Eastern Atlantic. With the break down of the higher heights in the Eastern Atlantic we are seeing a farther north solution of Irma through the Caribbean Islands with an eventual northward and then northeastward recurve OTS as we no longer have the forcing mechanism over top.

The big takeaway I get from looking upstream over the runs is how the models handle the trough that drops down through the Midwest and then into the East. Previous runs have shown the trough cutting off and allowing a follow up impulse to the north to proceed eastward into the northern Atlantic where it amplifies and forces the Atlantic ridging southward and westward in a prime location for an eastern seaboard strike. The latest run on the other hand does not cut off the southern portion of the trough. This allows the follow up impulse to the north to be drawn into the trough instead of proceeding eastward to amplify and force the ridging south and westward. 

One other piece which is involved in the setup is the placement of the trough/cutoff itself. Previous solutions have shown it much farther south and westward (Mississippi and west) which allows the ridging to build southward/westward. The latest run now shows it on the eastern seaboard. IMO the key player to watch will be the trough and how the models handle it.

9/1 00Z

ecmwf_z500a_atl_9_4_75.png

8/31 12Z

ecmwf_z500a_atl_10_1_75.png

8/31 00Z

ecmwf_z500a_atl_10_75.png

Looking over the ensemble means @ 500 mb suggest this run may not be an off run. The higher heights in the Atlantic have shifted north and eastward and we are also now seeing what looks to be a possible camp of ensemble members showing up with the storm itself that probably support the op run. Without seeing the individual runs themselves this is more conjecture then anything else though.

Panasonic ensembles through day 10, including the mean, were still west of the op. I'm not keeping this here long because it take up too much of my attachment space lol.

panasonic_cyclone_atlantic_41.thumb.png.094ea6cdb4a54761289d213fe1ab62b7.png

Just in case he deletes it later, it shows everything is on the table. Probably a few more OTS then last run though? Can't quite recall the last set of ens.

1 minute ago, WxWatcher007 said:

I added some more. Both camps are bad. It's like we can't be neutral anymore.

Seriously, let this get to the Antilles before proclaiming anything. I think our thread has been really good so far mixing analysis, discussion, and weenie speculation :P 

I glanced at the main thread just for the lols. As B Chill said in banter, the discussion over why NHC wasn't doing recon was hilarious. JFC. Weenies. 

But the 00z GFS was awesome. In a purely entertaining type of way. 

22 minutes ago, mappy said:

lot of definitive statements being thrown around all over the place (not so much here in this thread). Main tropical thread is lol. Twitter is lol. News is lol.

Yeah, it must have broken through to the public as I've gotten two texts from people asking me to keep them apprised...for a 10 day plus set of model runs.

24 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

I added some more. Both camps are bad. It's like we can't be neutral anymore.

Seriously, let this get to the Antilles before proclaiming anything. I think our thread has been really good so far mixing analysis, discussion, and weenie speculation :P 

Totally agree.  While it's interesting to see specific solutions (a'la the 00Z GFS), it's still way out there in time to take anything as more than speculation.  To be honest, for right now just seeing how much Irma has blown up in the last day or so is impressive from a meteorological standpoint.  And how much more it could intensify in the coming days.

22 minutes ago, mappy said:

I glanced at the main thread just for the lols. As B Chill said in banter, the discussion over why NHC wasn't doing recon was hilarious. JFC. Weenies. 

But the 00z GFS was awesome. In a purely entertaining type of way. 

LOL, true!  And we haven't even gotten into the winter snow event freak-outs yet!  Consider this a pre-season warmup for dealing with the tearing of hair and gnashing of teeth with every event and every model run! :D

0z gefs didn't support the op and was decidedly OTS. 6z gefs is actually one of the more menacing gefs runs for US impacts. Added a couple gulf tracks for the first time and also added more probability with trough interaction. 

The euro/eps made a decided shift away from a gulf track. We'll know if that's a trend or a blip with 12z. 

Like I mentioned last night, strictly playing odds is an easy OTS bet from this range. That's what I would bet on if I had too. Even with no landfall it looks like the storm could quite possibly scrape coastal areas and it's looks to be a pretty large storm size wise as it approaches. 

Archived