Newest Member
    joxey
The 2017 Atlantic Hurricane Season Thread

George BM

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

GFS and Euro diverge pretty much immediately. Nearly 20mb difference in strength in just 72 hours. Euro is much weaker. One model is going to be very wrong with the short range. 

Something seems off on the tropicaltidbits 500mb chart. Very tight isobars with high pressure. Maybe the ridge is just nuts?

ecmwf_z500_mslp_atl_4.png

1 hour ago, Bob Chill said:

Dude, I'm pretty sure I know who you are and please for god sakes don't start talking "new reality" and crap like that here. 

Exactly Hurricanes and Tropical Storms of all types and sizes have been happening for hundreds of years. Really we have been fortunate until this year that we haven't had a Maor Hurricane to make Landfall in the U.S since 2005. And also since 2006, few Hurricanes had made Landfall in Florida and Gulf of Mexico. There had been some but not a lot since really Ike in 2008.

This has been an above average warm year that a fact.   I wonder how old this person is. I old enough to remember what Katrina did to New Orleans and Gulf Coast. 

1 minute ago, StormFollowerUSA said:

Exactly Hurricanes and Tropical Storms of all types and sizes have been happening for hundreds of years. Really we have been fortunate until this year that we haven't had a Maor Hurricane to make Landfall in the U.S since 2005. And also since 2006, few Hurricanes had made Landfall in Florida and Gulf of Mexico. There had been some but not a lot since really Ike in 2008

Was just mentioning that particular location (905mb South of Bermuda), i just don't ever recall seeing that and looking back I can't find analogs. However reliable analogs only go back 70 years. It's not scientifically possible to link a specific hurricane to climate change but you can link stuff like 500mb setups and intensification rate.

3 minutes ago, Kmlwx said:

I mean that's pretty much what the NHC track forecast has in a few days - a turn back to the WSW

Yes, but NHC in the 11am disco said they did not go as far as what the EURO/EPS suggested re track

Thus, the NHC track prediction is on the southwestern
side of the guidance envelope, although not as far in that direction
as the ECMWF or its ensemble mean.

2 minutes ago, H2O said:

GFS has this little low pressure just ahead of Irma that bisects the ridge in the ATL to make two and thats where Irma follows.  Euro doesn't have that at all.

The 2 globals diverge in many categories. Euro has a much stronger closed atl ridge @ 168. That will force the storm westward and keep it from gaining latitude. 

1 minute ago, Bob Chill said:

Vice really needs to STFU. He was already banned from here for this crap and he just can't resist posting it. WTF man. 

Bro, i'm just going off what I know. The research is out there. SAL outbreaks were vicious especially since 2012. What a beast setup tho.

ecmwf_z500_mslp_atl_8.png

4 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Vice really needs to STFU. He was already banned from here for this crap and he just can't resist posting it. WTF man. 

carrier pigeon was sent to the powers that be. give it sometime, they don't have game of thrones magical flying power. 

Euro h5 setup all the way through eliminates the easy recurve chances so there's that. Beyond d10 is almost certainly a US landfall. 

Euro is much slower with development through the mid range so that's probably the biggest reason the track is decidedly south of the GFS. The answer to which is right with short range strength will be known pretty quick. 

Down the line, the euro shows a wall of denial the whole way through for the storm not being able to gain much latitude. Differences start fairly early @ h5 in the ATL between the euro and gfs. My guess the the EPS will support d10 placement.

40 minutes ago, Vice-Regent said:

Was just mentioning that particular location (905mb South of Bermuda), i just don't ever recall seeing that and looking back I can't find analogs. However reliable analogs only go back 70 years. It's not scientifically possible to link a specific hurricane to climate change but you can link stuff like 500mb setups and intensification rate.

Hasn't happened yet.

Archived