Newest Member
    SnowHabit
The 2017 Atlantic Hurricane Season Thread

George BM

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Kmlwx said:

NAM kicks Irma out still. You know you're out of the game if you can't even get a NAMing. :lol:

Maybe we can get Harvey to still give us some remnants. I guess I'll punt for any new waves coming across the atl. 

Nam went more northwest from 18z run. 

After looking at the 00Z and now the 06Z I am not really sure I trust it at this point in regards to 92L. 00Z had it just inland riding up from the GA/FL line all the way up to OBX before reentering the ocean and yet we saw a 11 mb drop in pressures from 1007 to 996. The 06Z now has it even farther inland on it's trip up the coast and we are still seeing pressure drops of 7 mb. While not earth shattering pressure drops they are hardly what I would expect to see from a tropical system with its center of circulation over land for such an extended period of time. Not an expert at hybrid systems but to the best of my knowledge that doesn't look to be the case here. We do see a little more interaction with the system and the trough dropping in from the Midwest later in the period then we see on the other models so maybe this is coming into play with the development on the NAM?

06Z GFS took a step back. Center of circulation never even touches land before it exits OTS from southern portions of OBX. Shows precip just to the mouth of the bay up to OC.

Edit: Looking at the 500's and we see a slightly deeper more positive tilted Midwest trough on this run which is probably accounting for the adjustment of the system to the southeast.

1 hour ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Yeah still not sure if the NAM can be believed but I think we might be splitting hairs at this point. Always hard to tell where an ivt sets up so that remains worth watching. 

As for development--I'm a tropics rather than subtropics guy, but my guess is that the low is absorbed sooner, which allows it to develop through the baroclinic process, rather than tropical. That would make land interaction mostly irrelevant I think. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

We do see a somewhat decent surface temp gradient with the land mass vs. the ocean (10-15 degrees?) so there is that. But we don't see a decent temp contrast @ 850's until it reaches around OBX and the 700's are uniform until later in the period where it looks as if the system is transitioning well out at sea. But I am not even sure how much that plays into it when you are dealing with a warm core system anyway. Do we see the same type of baroclinic processes occur with a warm core vs. a cold core? I myself have no idea. 

6 minutes ago, H2O said:

As much as we all obsess on big time weather events, I would NEVER want to have a Harvey like storm here

I get nervous when the winds top 50 mph (huge trees surround my house) and we see more then 3-4 inches of rain (Just finishing the total gutting and new build out and water proofing in my basement) that I would gladly skip myself.

54 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

I'm waiting patiently for the regulars of this thread to comment on the 12z gfs. Looks more interesting to me.

Was walking out the door so only had a quick glance but it looked to be within the envelope of solutions it has been spitting out recently. At this point it looks to be pretty much locked in on an ob x exit so the question becomes how far of an influence will the system have. 

Archived