Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The 2017 Atlantic Hurricane Season Thread

George BM

14 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Maybe. Those winds are going to try to catch up to the pressure drops eventually. Tonight could be really interesting. 

I'm certainly no expert but the satellite images suggest, IMO, that this is undergoing rapid intensification.

Reminds me of Charley and how it tightened up and intensified before it hit Florida.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Yeah, I think it's off to the races again. Only things that could slow it down right now IMO are the dry air outside the main area of convection and winds taking their time to catch up to the pressure falls. This thing is cranking right now. Awful situation for Texas. 

Hard to believe some of the rain amounts predicted in parts of South Texas well east of I 35 http://www.weather.gov/srh/tropical?office=crp Click on local products.

The SWATH of heavy rains, if it verifies will be horrific in terms of flooding and property damage. People in that part of the world have lots of livestock. There are tons of horses in Buda.

Heavy rainfall is expected through much of the area with rainfall
totals of 15 to 25 inches east of Interstate 37 with isolated amounts
around 35 inches possible. Lesser amounts are expected further west
and southwest. These numbers and locations are subject to change
depending on the exact location of landfall along the Texas coast.
Flash flooding is possible with these high rainfall totals. The
heaviest rains are expected to occur early Friday through Saturday
night and possibly into early next week.

You guys know I am strictly a winter storm guy. But I had to make a stop in here because those rain totals are like nothing I have ever seen before. Can anyone point me to ANY historical storm that has dropped 60 inches of rain in one spot before?

It does appear the wettest storms in history tend to occur in TX due to a stalled TC. (Amelia 1978 and Claudette 1979) But these model runs are just outrageous.

3 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

You guys know I am strictly a winter storm guy. But I had to make a stop in here because those rain totals are like nothing I have ever seen before. Can anyone point me to ANY historical storm that has dropped 60 inches of rain in one spot before?

Hurricane Mitch

Technically, its unofficial though

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Mitch

While moving slowly for several days offshore Honduras, Hurricane Mitch drew moisture from the Pacific Ocean and the Caribbean Sea, producing high amounts of rainfall of over 300 mm (12 in) per day.

[8]The highest official total was 928 mm (36.5 in) at Choluteca, which represented more than half of the annual precipitation average; at the same location, 466.7 mm (18.37 in) fell in a 24-hour period on October 31, which was more than double of the previous record set in 1985.[20] There were unofficial rainfall totals in Central America as high as 1,900 mm (75 in); rain gauges in mountainous areas were washed away.

Anyone consider the possibility that Harvey Doesn't landfall in TX at all?  It just stalls about 15 miles offshore and then finally drifts NE and hits LA?

The Euro isn't far from doing this. I didn't want to post this in the main thread cause it would create a ****storm

7 minutes ago, Amped said:

Anyone consider the possibility that Harvey Doesn't landfall in TX at all?  It just stalls about 15 miles offshore and then finally drifts NE and hits LA?

The Euro isn't far from doing this. I didn't want to post this in the main thread cause it would create a ****storm

nam3km_ref_frzn_scus_22.png

1 minute ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Probably too quick given the intensity of Harvey right now. Waiting on the Euro...

Also, not sure why I'm still intrigued by 92L. As the NE folks alluded to earlier, there may be something wonky with how the guidance is handling its interaction with that front. Not saying it's a threat, but anything off the EC is something to keep an eye on. 

Tonights GGEM was run by Kevin (Damage in Tolland)

Just now, Rtd208 said:

Pressure on the latest update from the NHC is down to 958 mb.

Hmmm... Maybe I am being a little to quick throwing out the 3K. Has 12 -15 hours to reach 923 mb which would be a pretty impressive intensification though. Was just looking over some of the satellite images and it does look as if it is rapidly intensifying. Uniform convection around the eye is now present and it looks as if the eye itself has tightened quite a bit. Should be an interesting day following this.

18 minutes ago, showmethesnow said:

Hmmm... Maybe I am being a little to quick throwing out the 3K. Has 12 -15 hours to reach 923 mb which would be a pretty impressive intensification though. Was just looking over some of the satellite images and it does look as if it is rapidly intensifying. Uniform convection around the eye is now present and it looks as if the eye itself has tightened quite a bit. Should be an interesting day following this.

Latest pressure from recon flight now down to 950 mb.

What am I missing here? Why is there such a huge difference between the actual real time pressures (10+ mbs lower) then the pressures that are being displayed on the initialization on the models? I understand there is some lag, time wise, and we are seeing rapid intensification, but 10 mb and in some cases 15+mb difference? 

Edit: Just looked at the CMC and it has 988mb at 6 hours when we are already seeing 948 or even less. 40mb difference and that isn't even taking into account the time difference.

Archived