Weathernoob335
June Obs/Disco Thread

George BM

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, MN Transplant said:

57 here.  Mid 40s in Winchester!

If that 46F stands, KOKV shattered it's record low of 51F.  Closest wx station to my house was 52F.  Either way, it was gorgeous this morning.  Heck the past several days, for that matter.  Yesterday was the equivalent of July 4, 2014.  Just amazing.

11 hours ago, losetoa6 said:

Not sure if it was 2014 ( probably longer ago) but I remember a 4th where the high was upper 60s with full sun and many people had jackets and blankets  for fireworks that night.

We've had cool 4ths for 3 years in a row.  2014 high 76, 2015 high 70, 2016 high 71 IMBY.

2 hours ago, Sparky said:

We've had cool 4ths for 3 years in a row.  2014 high 76, 2015 high 70, 2016 high 71 IMBY.

78 (2014)

76 (2015)

71 (2016) here, but the mins for 2015 and 2016 were 68 and 64F respectively, so the air was soupy and the cool was the result of clouds and rain.  2014 was a sunny, very breezy 78F at KOKV (which seems high), but the low was 53F (I remember places being in the upper 40s that night).  I remember the sun going down that night (2014) and everyone putting on jackets and huddled under blankets for the fireworks (we were at Sperryville, VA).  Even during the afternoon cookout, I sat on the deck at my in-laws and enjoyed the cool breeze and just marveled at how nice it was, and how enjoyable summer would be if that were typical weather.   It was the most glorious summer day / evening I can ever remember.  I get all wispy even thinking about it!

Lawns are turning BROWN in the relentless drought and dryness. I have cracks an inch wide in my back lawn. There's NO HOPE at all for Dale City, NONE until January 2018 when we finally get lots and lots of heavy rain right when we crave snow.

Til then, dry as a popcorn fart and hot as Hell, with no mercy at all.

July 4th in northern VA will be dry, partly cloudy and hotter than a firecracker. Stay off the roads, watch out for drunk drivers.

On 6/29/2017 at 0:40 PM, EastCoast NPZ said:

78 (2014)

76 (2015)

71 (2016) here, but the mins for 2015 and 2016 were 68 and 64F respectively, so the air was soupy and the cool was the result of clouds and rain.  2014 was a sunny, very breezy 78F at KOKV (which seems high), but the low was 53F (I remember places being in the upper 40s that night).  I remember the sun going down that night (2014) and everyone putting on jackets and huddled under blankets for the fireworks (we were at Sperryville, VA).  Even during the afternoon cookout, I sat on the deck at my in-laws and enjoyed the cool breeze and just marveled at how nice it was, and how enjoyable summer would be if that were typical weather.   It was the most glorious summer day / evening I can ever remember.  I get all wispy even thinking about it!

2009 was another nice one. Temps in the mid 70s but dews in the low to mid 50s and a bit of a breeze. I remember being up on Fort Reno watching the fireworks across suburban VA and Montgomery County and wishing I had a jacket.

Hmm, let's see .... cool and pleasant July 4th (2009, 2014, 2015) followed by winter 2009-10 (GOAT), 2014-15 (solid all-around winter), 2015-16 (the big one in January)

40 minutes ago, 09-10 analogy said:

2009 was another nice one. Temps in the mid 70s but dews in the low to mid 50s and a bit of a breeze. I remember being up on Fort Reno watching the fireworks across suburban VA and Montgomery County and wishing I had a jacket.

Hmm, let's see .... cool and pleasant July 4th (2009, 2014, 2015) followed by winter 2009-10 (GOAT), 2014-15 (solid all-around winter), 2015-16 (the big one in January)

I would not be surprised to see any correlation after other factors are added into the equation, but our coolest July 4th over the last 20+ years was after the 1996 blizzard later that summer.

Closing the books on June.......

3.45 inches of rain for the month vs an average of 3.64 inches. Close to normal but short by 0.19 inches. Largest daily was 0.61 inches on the 6th. Had 16 dry days, one day with a T and 13 with measurable.

High temp was 80.6 degrees averaged for month vs normal of 81.5 degrees, a -0.9 difference. Highest temp was 86.8 degrees on 15th. Low temp was 56.1 degrees averaged for month vs normal of 57.3 degrees, a -1.2 difference. Lowest temp was 45.6 degrees on 28th. Average temp for month was 68.3 degrees vs normal of 69.4 degrees, a -1.1 difference.

Highest wind for the month was 28 mph on the 14th.

Just an awful June rainfall wise, especially for someone into gardening.  The CMDZ (Central Maryland Desert Zone) had misses in every direction as usual.  I had a total of just 1.4 inches for the month, with 0.9 of that on the 19th.  The side benefit is not having to mow (I let the grass go - it always comes back).

I hope July starts out on the right track -- do we get lucky with t-storms later today?  The overcast is finally breaking up, but I don't like that the front is washing out as it comes our way.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic

Archived