joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
June 2017 Observations & Discussions Thread

bluewave

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would think the UHI influence extends a bit beyond its immediately defined local. Considering Newark/Elizabeth/Jersey City/NYC are in such close proximity, with minimal moderation from the rivers/bays. 

Anyway, I'm glad that's over. 68 and overcast with a light northwest wind currently. Could use some rain, for my newly seeded areas, but lush greenery remains. 

3 hours ago, Sundog said:

Is it really UHI though if the 98 degree contour extended northwest to Rockland county? That whole Northeast tip of NJ is actually really green. 

Good point. All of Northern Nassau and Northern Suffolk were in the 95 to 98 degree range yesterday, and these areas are wooded hills and in some cases farmland. 

22 minutes ago, psv88 said:

Good point. All of Northern Nassau and Northern Suffolk were in the 95 to 98 degree range yesterday, and these areas are wooded hills and in some cases farmland. 

The important point is that both the urban and less developed areas experienced record warmth the last few days. It's just that the records are higher in the city due to all the concrete and steel. 

14 hours ago, uncle W said:

it's a park...it's supposed to be cooler in the summer...That's why people go to the park when its hot out...they should move the thermometer shelter to a more open space...

I will bet more open sections of the park where the ASOS should be located were probably close to 98-99 yesterday. Central Park always used to run within a degree or two of Newark before they moved the instruments into the shade instead of the open where the rules for temperature measurement require. The ASOS should not be located anywhere near trees blocking the sunlight. Notice how the BNL thermometer while in the pine barrens is located in a clearing.

BNL/OKX

t7-720px.jpg.173f4a9b4caba4bb7f980450995f2940.jpg

NYC

CPK_ASOS_Jun_2013_2.jpg.2899db33340a0804378c7427111d67a6.jpg

12 minutes ago, bluewave said:

I will bet more open sections of the park where the ASOS should be located were probably close to 98-99 yesterday. Central Park always used to run within a degree or two of Newark before they moved the instruments into the shade instead of the open where the rules for temperature measurement require. The ASOS should not be located anywhere near trees blocking the sunlight. Notice how the BNL thermometer while in the pine barrens is located in a clearing.

BNL/OKX

NYC

It really pisses me off because those are the readings the media are using.

pretty steamy in the city today. Glad I missed the heat wave

4 hours ago, Sundog said:

Is it really UHI though if the 98 degree contour extended northwest to Rockland county? That whole Northeast tip of NJ is actually really green. 

Once you get North of Paramus in Bergen County it's quite rural. So is the area along the Palisades Parkway.

40 minutes ago, bluewave said:

The important point is that both the urban and less developed areas experienced record warmth the last few days. It's just that the records are higher in the city due to all the concrete and steel. 

That's true. 

I think one of the reasons my neighborhood get so hot is the development around Commack. I live right in the middle of the main shopping areas in "downtown". I radiate well in the winter but bake in the summer. I'm also in a valley between dix hills to the south and west and smith town to the east. 

33 minutes ago, bluewave said:

BNL/OKX

NYC

Yes correct...The problem isnt because the station is in a park...As you mentioned the problem is foliage shadeing the sensor...The instruments are supposed to have a clear view of the sky with no overhead obstructions.

20 minutes ago, doncat said:

Yes correct...The problem isnt because the station is in a park...As you mentioned the problem is foliage shadeing the sensor...The instruments are supposed to have a clear view of the sky with no overhead obstructions.

the shelter should not be shaded at any time of the day...the thermometer shelters now days are much smaller than the box shelters that were maned by humans...I'd rather have a big box shelter than a radiation shield they use today...I had mine on my roof when I lived in Brooklyn and it was reliable...My country house has to many trees for a place that gets sunshine all the time...It got pretty hot up there already...in 1977 it hit 100 in my area...

5 hours ago, Sundog said:

Up through parts of Rockland county typically gets pretty hot, at least maps usually depict that. Mainly on a corridor along the Hudson, sometimes extending much further north. I think that's more based on geography.  Maybe down sloping winds with elevation takes a steep drop along the Hudson on both sides, plus being away from the ocean.

49 minutes ago, doncat said:

A lot of times the Park temp will be close to the airports and some time in mid afternoon they level off while everyone else keeps climbing into late afternoon/evening. I think the sun angle gets below the trees later in the day and it effectively becomes like a mostly cloudy day there. Meanwhile that June sun keeps baking the massive open space of the airports 

Archived