Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
June 2017 Observations & Discussions Thread

bluewave

57 minutes ago, NutleyBlizzard said:

My main concern is  with a trough over the eastern US along with an upcoming active hurricane season, that could very well spell trouble for the east coast.

you would want the trough over the Midwest for east coast threats....

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, qg_omega said:

you would want the trough over the Midwest for east coast threats....

The latest Euro seasonal that came out yesterday is more bullish on activity near the East Coast ASO. Has a big ridge of high pressure across New England to Newfoundland with lower pressures underneath. Looks exactly like the new SST CA.

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/predictions/90day/tools/briefing/cahgt_sstca.pri.php

31 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

I believe Bluewave said that the East coast was looking well above average rainfall wise over the Summer which would imply tropical threats.

Look at it this way, the 2010's have been one of the most active decades for East Coast tropical activity. So I would tend to believe some of the seasonal stuff that implies threat potential as the season picks up.

2011....Irene....2012....Sandy....2014....Arthur...2015...Joaquin 1000 yr rains trough interaction....2016....Matthew

9 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Look at it this way, the 2010's have been one of the most active decades for East Coast tropical activity. So I would tend to believe some of the seasonal stuff that implies threat potential as the season picks up.

2011....Irene....2012....Sandy....2014....Arthur...2015...Joaquin 1000 yr rains trough interaction....2016....Matthew

Matthew was such a close call. I remember it looked like we were going to get slammed then a whiff. On the island we wound up with a decent ammount of rain and trop storm gusts 

1 minute ago, Stormlover74 said:

Despite the cool, damp start places like EWR and NYC look to be below a half inch at the midway point of June

same deal up here...we've had very little actual rainfall-alot of mist/drizzle and light rain.   The ground will dry fast with the sun and torch coming up.

25 minutes ago, Stormlover74 said:

Despite the cool, damp start places like EWR and NYC look to be below a half inch at the midway point of June

Wow, I had more than that in a thunderstorm during the early morning hours of June 1st. I guess it's because of the general isolated nature of convection. 

41 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Matthew was such a close call. I remember it looked like we were going to get slammed then a whiff. On the island we wound up with a decent ammount of rain and trop storm gusts 

You never really know until the short term whether an East Coast H/TS will keep coming north past the Carolinas or recurve to our south. But it's interesting how these decadal landfall patterns set up. The 2000's were all about Florida and the Gulf Coast. That switched more to the East Coast for the 2010's.

3 minutes ago, forkyfork said:

not much cold air with that trough

ecmwf-ens_T850a_us_11.png

It's not a deep trough, but it's enough to prevent the WAR from building into the East Coast. Temperatures look near average to perhaps slightly below. The EPS mean is fairly wet over the East days 7-16 and in the Western Caribbean, the Southern Gulf and Florida. Strong ensemble agreement on the recent heavy Florida rains continuing.  

13 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

The 12z GEFS is similar to the 00z EPS which attempts to build in the WAR around day 10, however like the EPS the trough building into the Lakes keeps it at bay.

1 minute ago, forkyfork said:

more like the WAR keeps the trough at bay... we never lose the positive 850 anomalies 

wonder if we see a battleground where the 2 bump up against each other....

6 minutes ago, forkyfork said:

more like the WAR keeps the trough at bay... we never lose the positive 850 anomalies 

It's ten days away, who really cares. It's going to change.

4 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

wonder if we see a battleground where the 2 bump up against each other....

That's kind of the way it looks.

4 hours ago, doncat said:

Nice temp rise today from am low of 50 to high of 83 degrees.

81/45 here. I have virtually 0 cooling degree days for June thus far because the chilly nights have been countervailing the afternoon highs. This was my 5th morning in the 40s in June; not bad at a time average lows are mid-upper 50s.

Archived