• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
June 2017 Discussion

Powerball

I picked up 0.59" from a decent line of storms tonight.  A station less than a half mile to my nw received 0.93" as a couple initial cells barely scraped by me.

My June total is up to 2.37".  There is one more chance of good storms next Wednesday/Thursday, but our June avg is nearly 5 inches so it'll be tough to reach that.

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pretty serious flooding going on around here, I dumped 4.1" out of my new rain gauge an hour ago since it only goes to 5". I just set it up today since the hrrr was calling this run after run all day (actually underestimated the totals massively). Some of the stronger returns missed me early on in this event, There are reports of over 6" from mount pleasant and areas east of there, I wouldn't doubt somebody is at 8" already, and the radar is lighting up like crazy AGAIN in that area. Somebody might make a serious run at 10".

It's insane the amount of rain central Michigan has received the past week. MBS airport in Saginaw has already recorded over 9.2" of rain this Month (smashes the old record of 6.92"). I'm sure some areas are probably near a foot of rain.

1 hour ago, smoof said:

5.1" total here now, half the yard underwater and water flowing over the road and driveway (it does that every 5-10yrs with a real good soaker or rapid spring melt off situation).

8 hours ago, smoof said:

Pretty serious flooding going on around here, I dumped 4.1" out of my new rain gauge an hour ago since it only goes to 5". I just set it up today since the hrrr was calling this run after run all day (actually underestimated the totals massively). Some of the stronger returns missed me early on in this event, There are reports of over 6" from mount pleasant and areas east of there, I wouldn't doubt somebody is at 8" already, and the radar is lighting up like crazy AGAIN in that area. Somebody might make a serious run at 10".

Incredible stuff, having lived there for 5 years, a lot of these places I know it takes an insane amount of water to flood them. Here is a story from 9/10 news about the flooding situation: http://www.9and10news.com/story/35732726/heavy-rain-causes-flooding-in-mount-pleasant

Here's a couple videos from the 5.1" of flooding rains here the other night. :D

Water flowing over my Driveway and Road

HUGE Washout on the road 1.5miles from my house (glad nobody got hurt or died!!!)

Enjoy the vids. There were over 150 roads closed locally, I went for a drive today still tons of roads closed and it was really hard to get around, The only local flood that was bigger was the "Great Flood of '86".

1 minute ago, Hoosier said:

Quite a contrast in this month's precip across MI.  And really, it's even more extreme than this map suggests.  Take Saginaw, which is running over 400% of average precip.

MonthPNormMRCC.png.40b869671a5bc1885f8f34396866ce90.png

The craziest part around here in central michigan was that those 2-3 week long rain % charts were at 20% of normal before the last week, my lawn was going dormant in  early june, now its flood city lol.

That sure is a razor-sharp line there in Michigan.  It reminds me of the snow maps over Iowa the last couple winters.

Models continue to be pretty excited about widespread heavy rain across Iowa, Illinois, Missouri, et al., mid to late next week, which should put a dent in, or eliminate, the deficits across part of the region.

1 minute ago, weatherbo said:

54 and rain.  .75 so far today, pushing June over the 5" mark...cool and wet!  Terrible climate here for growing flower pots and vegetables, but the woods are the most lush and beautiful I have ever seen them. 

I was worried yesterday morning when my garden was under 3" water my plants would start  to  drown, but i'm only growing cukes / squash / pumpkins, and they can take all the water you can give them, they were really  perky and happy lol.

2 hours ago, Powerball said:

It seems the same areas in the middle part of the state that got slammed with Flooding on Thursday are getting hit again today...

Thankfully that all missed me, radar estimates sadly show  around  2-3" more rain might have fallen around the MOP area or just east of there, (7-8" a  couple nights ago) (and now this little train this  afternoon  /  evening piled right on. )...

6 hours ago, smoof said:

Thankfully that all missed me, radar estimates sadly show  around  2-3" more rain might have fallen around the MOP area or just east of there, (7-8" a  couple nights ago) (and now this little train this  afternoon  /  evening piled right on. )...

You know, I'm not a very heavy Facebook or Snapchat user... but I did update Snapchat today. It allows you to view a map and see any public stories that are all across the globe - this is when I thought of something interesting.

As the storms were occurring over Mt. Pleasant today, I opened up that snapmap and clicked the Mt. Pleasant area. Everyone who took a picture or video and  tagged "Mt. Pleasant" on their snap, shows the story - low and behold and nearly in real time, I was able to watch the storm produce heavy rain, lightning and even marble size hail covering the ground in some spots amongst other posts from the extensive flooding. Very cool to view and they should still be on the story for 24 hours if any of you decided to check it out. 

But back to reality... that's an amazing amount of rain in the last 72 hours, and I see more on the horizon. 

On 6/24/2017 at 2:21 PM, Hoosier said:

Quite a contrast in this month's precip across MI.  And really, it's even more extreme than this map suggests.  Take Saginaw, which is running over 400% of average precip.

MonthPNormMRCC.png.40b869671a5bc1885f8f34396866ce90.png

Saginaw (MBS) got another rain shower this afternoon which bumped their monthly total up to 10.03" of rain, which is second wettest of any month on record. Previous record rainiest June was 6.92" in 1996 there. Still a far cry away from September 1986 when an unbelievable 16.16" of rain fell that month. Nonetheless, most flood reports and river crests are coming in comparable to or just slightly under the historic 1986 levels.

Gorgeous day today.  Not really great swimming weather but good for other outdoor activities without breaking much of a sweat.  I like having days like this mixed in during summer.  

Looks like a warm-up to more seasonal weather before potentially more significant heat farther out in the extended.

From IWX in their long term forecast discussion from earlier today...

The result will be periodic chances for 
showers/storms, with perhaps a strong/severe/hvy rain threat at 
some point given decent wind fields and high moisture content 
showing up in guidance. Chances for precipitation then diminish 
next weekend as incoming height falls/troughing eventually 
suppresses active frontal zone off to the south. 

3 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Gorgeous day today.  Not really great swimming weather but good for other outdoor activities without breaking much of a sweat.  I like having days like this mixed in during summer.  

Looks like a warm-up to more seasonal weather before potentially more significant heat farther out in the extended.

Yeah it's been phenomenal.  We probably won't see such a stretch of dews this low until sometime in September.  Tropical humidity is on the way later this week, so I'm enjoying every last bit of this air mass.

Only made it to 69 here today, which is an impressive feat for late June considering we had no precip, and even had lots of sun much of the day.

6 hours ago, Trent said:

Saginaw (MBS) got another rain shower this afternoon which bumped their monthly total up to 10.03" of rain, which is second wettest of any month on record. Previous record rainiest June was 6.92" in 1996 there. Still a far cry away from September 1986 when an unbelievable 16.16" of rain fell that month. Nonetheless, most flood reports and river crests are coming in comparable to or just slightly under the historic 1986 levels.

Drove through there Friday and today... farm fields are flooded everywhere. It's so much greener than Livingston county, that's apparent immediately. 

37 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

Made it down to 51 here.  Would have easily dipped into the upper 40s, but a pesky bank of clouds rolled in before sunrise.  Have another shot at dipping into the 40s tonight.

MLI did make it to 49.

Makes me think back on what happened in June 1992.  There were places around here and even farther south that had lows in the 30s.  Unreal.

Archived