SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
June 2017 Discussion

Powerball

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is a 14-day precipitation percent of normal map ending today 6/18, at 12z (does not include Ohio rains today). It looks like much of the above normal values have missed population centers. Heavier rains have hit than north Chicago, Indy, and Grand Rapids.

eBVg4tj.png

On June 17, 2017 at 8:59 PM, Spartman said:

Temps underperformed a bit, thanks to some of the cirrus blowoff. Topped out at 87. NWS really hyped up highs in the low-90s which TWC wasn't buying at all. After the first 90-degree day on Monday, that's all I'll get until at least next month for sure.

Lol

9 hours ago, Stebo said:

Wow deep divots in that road, been a while since the grader came through I take it?

With all the rain this year (5th wettest A-M-J so far at MQT-12.29"), the roads around here are in pretty bad shape.  A good deal of the time the grading and sometimes plowing too comes from a few local people, as the more remote roads are not maintained as diligently by the county it seems.

63 for a high today with a good possibility of more showers adding to my 4.2" total for the month!

22 minutes ago, Powerball said:

lol.

Meanwhile, made it to 80*F here in the valley.

It was 78 in Lansing, so I don't know what Jonger is talking about.

24 minutes ago, Powerball said:

Pretty decent t'storm popped up overhead.

Fairly frequent lightning with it.

Yeah been watching that from here, pretty spectacular lightning.

47 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

It's no surprise. It has been several years now since I have pointed out DTW always being a warm spot in the region during afternoons (especially in summer) often behind only YIP.

While I understand what you're getting at, today's high DTW wasn't much different from the surrounding areas (DET made it to 79°F as well)

If anything, modeled highs and DTX's expectations were too low, between the downsloping and cloud cover being less extensive than projected.

29 minutes ago, Powerball said:

While I understand what you're getting at, today's high DTW wasn't much different from the surrounding areas (DET made it to 79°F as well)

If anything, modeled highs and DTX's expectations were too low, between the downsloping and cloud cover being less extensive than projected.

DET's high was 77.

2 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

It's no surprise. It has been several years now since I have pointed out DTW always being a warm spot in the region during afternoons (especially in summer) often behind only YIP.

Yeah and it is also the furthest south main observing site in the area, so it makes complete sense why it would be warmer than most.

10 hours ago, Stebo said:

Yeah and it is also the furthest south main observing site in the area, so it makes complete sense why it would be warmer than most.

I'm referring to all of SE MI not just the 3 first order sites. DTW is often warmer than Monroe and Toledo (TOL is a first order station as well). I have studied 140 years of climate data for the region. DTW has been official since 1966, and the disparity between there and numerous other stations in the immediate metro area and very close was never there before. And DTW is still a semi rural area. I drive by the south end of DTW 10 times a week and it is always colder. It does not matter rain, snow, sun, gray, winter, summer, etc. ALWAYS. Idk if the thermometer used to be there or not before it was moved further north on the property. And I'm not saying there is anything wrong with the thermometer at DTW. Just stating facts. DET was always a good 2 degrees warmer, now always 1-1.5 degrees colder (talking monthly mean temps). I understand downsloping and I understand east winds. But I'm sure these things existed decades ago too. The May 2017 climate summary for SEMI has 48 sites listed. Of those 48, just ONE had a higher mean temp than DTW. And it was, surprise surprise, YIP. And 16 of those 48 sites were in the bottom 2 counties. In fact most Lenawee and Monroe sites were 1.5 to 2.5 degrees colder than DTW to the north. 

Archived