Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
June 2017 Discussion

Powerball

54 minutes ago, Powerball said:

It was definitely Georgia / Alabama-like outside today, as we've seen several round of convective showers with sunshine and heat in between.

Getting some modest wind gusts out of the t'storm moving through now. Underwhelming thunder/lightning though.

OMG, you're giving us clues!

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First drops of rain since May 28th tonight.  Picked up a quick 0.40" from a decent garden-variety storm.  Severe portion of the line missed just southwest towards the QC.  The storm knocked our temp back into the 60s for the first time since back on Saturday.

Here's what the storm looked like rolling in.  Zero bolts visible until after the main rain core passed through.  No CGs.  

All day the HRRR insisted the line of storms would fill in as it reached Cedar Rapids, and that is exactly what happened.  A nice little rotating cell moved right over me.  I did not get the wind I expected, but it was a solid storm.  I picked up 0.80", which boosts my 3-day total to a much-needed 1.54".

4 hours ago, Jebman said:

I have noticed quite a bit of thunderstorms/rain in the Midwest this spring. I am beginning to wonder if this could be the start of another 1993-like setup for the Mississippi Watershed.

Quite a ways to go for anything like that.

20170613_midwest_none.png

Just got a brief sprinkle of fat rain drops here, as a tiny/weak convective shower pulsed up from the outflow of last night's MCS.

NAM still advertising late day highs around 90*F to 91*F and some garden-variety convection developing during the late afternoon hours. We'll see.

Temps underperformed a bit, thanks to some of the cirrus blowoff. Topped out at 87. NWS really hyped up highs in the low-90s which TWC wasn't buying at all. After the first 90-degree day on Monday, that's all I'll get until at least next month for sure.

lol

39 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Still some uncertainty but there are growing indications of a tropical system making landfall somewhere in the Gulf (favoring western or perhaps central) with the remnants then tracking through the Ohio Valley.

I'm thinking there's a good chance it won't have a meaningful impact for most of us, as the incoming trough forces it SE / shears it apart.

12 minutes ago, Powerball said:

I'm thinking there's a good chance it won't have a meaningful impact for most of us, as the incoming trough forces it SE / shears it apart.

Depends if it goes west into Texas, if that happens the chance of impacts goes up significantly.

10 minutes ago, Powerball said:

Could very well be.  It seems likely that there will be some sort of system but what happens after landfall is more up in the air.

56 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Still some uncertainty but there are growing indications of a tropical system making landfall somewhere in the Gulf (favoring western or perhaps central) with the remnants then tracking through the Ohio Valley.

Yeah, Sam at IWX already made mention of the possible implications for next weekend in his morning discussion. Is it that time of year already?

Today was the 7th 90 degree day this year at CLE, which ties for most on record this early in the season. There have also been 2 88 degree days and 2 89 degree days. Looking forward to some highs in the 70s. 

Archived