Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
June 2017 Discussion

Powerball

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, weatherbo said:

The winter like spring here lingers longer than I'd like, but when the season does finally change, it literally does so in 2.5 weeks. From now until September provides some of the most perfect weather, IMO.

After a high of 68, it's down to 57... good sleeping weather.

Beautiful pictures as always. I haven't paid as close attention, but the last picture I saw you post was back in May and everything was bare. Now it's full bloom.

I'll be up your way, actually WilH's way, in a few weeks as I'm visiting family in the Kewweenaw. More specifically in Calumet and the Lake Linden areas. It's been about 20 years since I've visited, it's been a long time coming, so I'm looking forward to it! I remember the weather during my last visit quite well; it was mid-July and we were wearing jeans and hoodies. I remember the 930/10pm sunsets and being thrown off that it was still light that close to 10pm.

Woo!  We finally got a thunderstorm, after 18 days without rain.  It looked like today would bust, but a nice line popped at the last minute and dropped a quick half inch here along with some nice lightning and thunder.  :raining::thumbsup:

The storm knocked us down to 70 degrees, so we will get an afternoon off from the heat.

As per this METAR, it is a scorching 97 with dew point of 61 at Wauseon, OH. It's pretty unusual.

KUSE 131855Z AUTO 28006KT 10SM FEW065 36/16 A2994 RMK AO2

I do wonder if the amount of farmland in that area affects this temp in anyway. With the low height of the crops currently that ground has to be absolutely baking out there

2 hours ago, nwohweather said:

I do wonder if the amount of farmland in that area affects this temp in anyway. With the low height of the crops currently that ground has to be absolutely baking out there

Yesterday, there were record highs, or tied record highs, at Toledo (96), Cleveland, Canton-Akron, and Youngstown. There was a record warm minimum at Columbus. Fort Wayne was one degree away from a record high (95). And for all of that heat, areas of northern Ohio got a lot of rain yesterday.

6 hours ago, osubrett2 said:

Beautiful pictures as always. I haven't paid as close attention, but the last picture I saw you post was back in May and everything was bare. Now it's full bloom.

I'll be up your way, actually WilH's way, in a few weeks as I'm visiting family in the Kewweenaw. More specifically in Calumet and the Lake Linden areas. It's been about 20 years since I've visited, it's been a long time coming, so I'm looking forward to it! I remember the weather during my last visit quite well; it was mid-July and we were wearing jeans and hoodies. I remember the 930/10pm sunsets and being thrown off that it was still light that close to 10pm.

Thank you! Looking at some pictures I took, it was completely bare here as late as May 18th, and yeah, now it's lush and green with flowers blooming.

I've seen July days in the upper-40's before so anything is possible, especially in the Keweenaw.  Interesting that you mention sunsets.  I was looking at the rise/set times last night and I'm currently at the earliest rise time which is 557, and 4 min's off the latest sunset time which is 9:53.  On clear nights the northern sky is lit up until after 11 pm.  I love that the most about summer.  Enjoy your trip in July to Upper Michigan!

Cool and breezy today after a morning thunderstorm.  67 so far for a high.

17 hours ago, hawkeye_wx said:

The decaying morning storms pushed outflow through here in the last hour, producing 40-50 mph wind gusts.  I had to rush out to get plants into the garage before they broke.  Of course, no rain again.

That outflow hit here about 8am with a few gravity waves as well.  Shot a time lapse of it rolling in and it captured the last remaining outflow induced mini-cells crapping the bed in the distance as the outflow/gravity waves moved through.  Hit around the 8-10 sec mark.

10 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

Precip past 12hrs.  Lol northwest Illinois and Champaign areas.

2im40h3.jpg

We didn't get very much rain in that pocket south of Chicago as well.  Storms split us last night.  Went from a severe warning to nothing pretty quickly.  Had a small line pop up on the backend with light rain for maybe 10 minutes

The sharp rain gradient is evident in IN/OH too. Dayton measured a record 2.68" yesterday, yet CMH received 0.00". Even going back to Monday, very scattered storms missed CMH. Only 0.04" has been recorded since Monday and 1.03" for the month, which 0.99" came late 6/4 and early 6/5. So it's starting to dry up a bit around here too even though we're up 2.21" for the year.

RainMap.JPG

It was definitely Georgia / Alabama-like outside today, as we've seen several round of convective showers with sunshine and heat in between.

Getting some modest wind gusts out of the t'storm moving through now. Underwhelming thunder/lightning though.

Archived