Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
June 2017 Discussion

Powerball

4 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

GFS is also too high with surface moisture, and has had the tendency to be too juicy the last few years.  It's about 5-10 degrees too high with dews across Iowa and surrounding areas right now.  That likely factors into why it's so much cooler with the surface temps compared to the EC.  

Yeah and it is still pumping out dew points widespread mid 70s starting as soon as Saturday.

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Impromptu "chase" this afternoon of a large dust devil south of town.  Was on the way to Geneseo when I noticed a large dust cloud ahead.  Figured it was probably from a tractor or something, but as I crested a hill I saw that it was a dust devil.  Of course I had to follow it, and found a little country road that lead me pretty close to it.  After I got closer I noticed it exhibited multiple vortices.  So, on the last day of my "chase vacation" I bagged something lol.  

1 hour ago, cyclone77 said:

Impromptu "chase" this afternoon of a large dust devil south of town.  Was on the way to Geneseo when I noticed a large dust cloud ahead.  Figured it was probably from a tractor or something, but as I crested a hill I saw that it was a dust devil.  Of course I had to follow it, and found a little country road that lead me pretty close to it.  After I got closer I noticed it exhibited multiple vortices.  So, on the last day of my "chase vacation" I bagged something lol.  

Counting Crows... takes me back to the 90s.

Nice vid.

6 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

GFS is also too high with surface moisture, and has had the tendency to be too juicy the last few years.  It's about 5-10 degrees too high with dews across Iowa and surrounding areas right now.  That likely factors into why it's so much cooler with the surface temps compared to the EC.  

Would be nice to see that issue improve. It seems like it's predictably high (and by a significant margin) unless we're in the middle of summer with fully grown crops or in a moisture pooling situation. 

Looks like the modeling is backing off somewhat on the idea of a nuclear cap over the Upper Mississippi Valley for Sunday evening just after peak heating. 850mb temps are now progged to be somewhere around 20°c instead of 25 or 26 and 700mb temps have come down to around 11° c over the metro area of MSP. Some models are now showing convection firing off along the northern edge of the best instability in a area where shear and cape will be supportive of supercell formation.  Would not be surprised to see the SPC in their 4-8 day outlook paint a 15% risk for an area near to MSP. I'm working during the next few days and will be challenged to follow things closely, so please don't wait for me to start a new thread for severe possibilities, but the chance is increasing for all modes of severe Sunday evening. 

1 hour ago, Minnesota Meso said:

Looks like the modeling is backing off somewhat on the idea of a nuclear cap over the Upper Mississippi Valley for Sunday evening just after peak heating. 850mb temps are now progged to be somewhere around 20°c instead of 25 or 26 and 700mb temps have come down to around 11° c over the metro area of MSP. Some models are now showing convection firing off along the northern edge of the best instability in a area where shear and cape will be supportive of supercell formation.  Would not be surprised to see the SPC in their 4-8 day outlook paint a 15% risk for an area near to MSP. I'm working during the next few days and will be challenged to follow things closely, so please don't wait for me to start a new thread for severe possibilities, but the chance is increasing for all modes of severe Sunday evening. 

SPC holding off for now.

8 hours ago, HillsdaleMIWeather said:

SPC holding off for now.

Well kind of. They do talk about it in the 4-8 day outlook.

Day 4-8 Convective Outlook 
   NWS Storm Prediction Center Norman OK
   0159 AM CDT Thu Jun 08 2017

Valid 111200Z - 161200Z

...DISCUSSION...
   Large-scale pattern may become more favorable for organized severe
   thunderstorms early next week, especially across portions of the
   northern, and perhaps central, Plains.

Medium-range guidance is in fairly good agreement during the day4-5
   time frame with diverging solutions in respect to large-scale
   features and timing beyond Monday. In the wake of a strong mid-level
   speed max Sunday, heights are forecast to rise across the upper MS
   Valley and upper Great Lakes region. While significant buoyancy may
   linger near a stalled frontal zone across this region, rising
   heights are a bit troubling regarding the potential for organized
   severe storms. Even so, low-level warm advection into this corridor
   should aid the potential for robust thunderstorms. Will not
   introduce 15% severe probs due to the large-scale height rises but
   isolated severe is certainly a possibility with warm advection-type
   storms that evolve in the MN/WI vicinity.

By day5 a more significant large-scale trough will shift east into
   the Great Basin as a strong 500mb speed max rounds the base of the
   trough and ejects toward WY/CO. Strongly diffluent flow aloft across
   the northern High Plains suggests favorable venting for significant
   convection near the Black Hills into southeast MT. Scattered severe
   thunderstorms appear possible across this region Monday.

Beyond day5, an ejecting short-wave trough should advance into the
   northern/central plains which could induce severe convection across
   this region. However, models begin to diverge in their solutions by
   mid week and predictability is a bit too low to warrant 15% severe
   probs in the day6-8 time frame.

..Darrow.. 06/08/2017

Hopefully the light has finally arrived in southern Ontario, the 7-day forecast is perfect:

Perfect_June_7_Day_Forecast_2017.png

:wub: at the 24ºC low - that would be in the top 10 warmest lows since I started tracking. 24ºC was my high for today. Its hard to beat a hot, stormy pattern in mid-June (I've been looking forward to this since the end of the heat last year).

Sunday
Sunny, with a high near 90.
Sunday Night
Mostly clear, with a low around 71.
Monday
Sunny, with a high near 91.
Monday Night
Mostly clear, with a low around 72.
Tuesday
Mostly sunny, with a high near 91.
Tuesday Night
Partly cloudy, with a low around 71.

Could it be...? Summer?

3 hours ago, Torchageddon said:

Hopefully the light has finally arrived in southern Ontario, the 7-day forecast is perfect:

Perfect_June_7_Day_Forecast_2017.png

:wub: at the 24ºC low - that would be in the top 10 warmest lows since I started tracking. 24ºC was my high for today. Its hard to beat a hot, stormy pattern in mid-June (I've been looking forward to this since the end of the heat last year).

Endless dry heat since 2015. Can't wait to get back to high humidity - optimistic for storms too. Hopefully the lake breezes get cranking soon

4 hours ago, Hoosier said:

The LOT forecast now has 5 consecutive days AOA for ORD.  The last time there was a 90+ degree streak of that length prior to June 15 was back in 1977, and it actually was a 9 day streak that occurred in May.

Wow, neat fact. I think that would be the most sig heatwave for May at that locale for longevity ever recorded. I should check to see if a long stretch of warmth reached here that May.

Tomorrow's high has been bumped up to 29ºC (33C humidex).

12 minutes ago, Torchageddon said:

Wow, neat fact. I think that would be the most sig heatwave for May at that locale for longevity ever recorded. I should check to see if a long stretch of warmth reached here that May.

Tomorrow's high has been bumped up to 29ºC (33C humidex).

Yeah it is the longest May heatwave.

19 hours ago, IthielZ said:
Sunday
Sunny, with a high near 90.
Sunday Night
Mostly clear, with a low around 71.
Monday
Sunny, with a high near 91.
Monday Night
Mostly clear, with a low around 72.
Tuesday
Mostly sunny, with a high near 91.
Tuesday Night
Partly cloudy, with a low around 71.

Could it be...? Summer?

IT would certainly help to make up for May.

58 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

Yeah it seems a bit early for consecutive days well above 90.  

We overachieved today and broke 90.  MLI hit 91.  92/95/96/96 in the point for Sat/Sun/Mon/Tue.

If MLI puts together 3 days of 95+, it would be the first such streak to occur in June since 1995, but that streak came after the midpoint of the month.  The last 3 day 95+ streak to occur in the first half of June was June 12-14, 1987 (96/98/101).

17 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

If MLI puts together 3 days of 95+, it would be the first such streak to occur in June since 1995, but that streak came after the midpoint of the month.  The last 3 day 95+ streak to occur in the first half of June was June 12-14, 1987 (96/98/101).

Interesting.  And we all know how the rest of '95 summer went.  The grass is really starting to look pretty fried.  By early next week it's going to look like straw with all this heat and a continuation of no rain.  Today was the 12th day in a row without a drop of rain.

11 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

Interesting.  And we all know how the rest of '95 summer went.  The grass is really starting to look pretty fried.  By early next week it's going to look like straw with all this heat and a continuation of no rain.  Today was the 12th day in a row without a drop of rain.

Feel like we'll do fine with rain by the end of the month, at least 2 systems with solid rain chances coming up within the next 10 days, the NW flow afterwards. Should hopefully get a wetter pattern going yet again.

I got a few sprinkles this afternoon as some cells bubbled up along the front and scraped by to the north.  Hopefully, Wednesday's storms will pan out.  Models have been back and forth on the chance of convection along the cold front.  Late week is a possibility as well.

DMX this afternoon backed off the Des Moines temp forecast into early next week by a couple degrees, perhaps because they came up a few degrees short today.  Now, it's only 97/98/98/96... brrr.

12 minutes ago, hawkeye_wx said:

I got a few sprinkles this afternoon as some cells bubbled up along the front and scraped by to the north.  Hopefully, Wednesday's storms will pan out.  Models have been back and forth on the chance of convection along the cold front.  Late week is a possibility as well.

DMX this afternoon backed off the Des Moines temp forecast into early next week by a couple degrees.  Now, it's only 97/98/98/96... brrr.

Only concern will be clouds in regards to temps.  Sunday there should be a big complex of storms rolling through the southern half of MN during the day.  Mid-upper level winds will be west to southwesterly, but if the convection is powerful enough the cirrus canopy could leak south of the mean flow for at least a little while as it sprays out.  Something to watch anyway.

12km NAM/3km NAM/HRRR/GFS are all way too high with surface dews tomorrow in areas beneath the incoming thermal ridge.  The only model that seems to have a clue is the Euro.  Pretty disappointing that the models with higher resolution than the Euro aren't more keen on picking up on the dry soils, and better mixing potential like the Euro.  The HRRR has developed a tendency to be waaaaay too moist lately.  Hope the wizards at NCEP make some necessary corrections to that model sometime soon.

1 hour ago, cyclone77 said:

12km NAM/3km NAM/HRRR/GFS are all way too high with surface dews tomorrow in areas beneath the incoming thermal ridge.  The only model that seems to have a clue is the Euro.  Pretty disappointing that the models with higher resolution than the Euro aren't more keen on picking up on the dry soils, and better mixing potential like the Euro.  The HRRR has developed a tendency to be waaaaay too moist lately.  Hope the wizards at NCEP make some necessary corrections to that model sometime soon.

explains the severe cold bias on those models.

Decent chance today will underachieve. LOT going 92 at ORD, but with UA temps not much different from yesterday and it being 77 at 10AM like yesterday, upper 80's seems more realistic.

Probably holds true for many other areas, in the temps will be similar to yesterday. The ECMWF, which is showing several days of 90+, only has mid/upper 80's today.

Should manage the upper 80s here today, with less cloud debris locally, downsloping and what appears to be slightly warmer temps aloft.

DTW and DTW are both at 83*F as of 12pm.

Getting concerned about 90*F+ potential beyond Monday though. Latest models are insisting on the back door cold front making it down to the I-96 corridor by Tuesday and then stalling it out, which could initiate t'storms during peak heating as well.

1 hour ago, Chicago Storm said:

Decent chance today will underachieve. LOT going 92 at ORD, but with UA temps not much different from yesterday and it being 77 at 10AM like yesterday, upper 80's seems more realistic.

Probably holds true for many other areas, in the temps will be similar to yesterday. The ECMWF, which is showing several days of 90+, only has mid/upper 80's today.

I agree, 92 seems too optimistic.

Currently 85 at ORD, so upper 80s or perhaps tagging 90.

Archived