Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2017 General Thunderstorm Thread

dmillz25

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We're in a good spot with regards to LLJ placement late Monday night. Not much in the way of SBCAPE to work with but a decent amount of elevated instability. Looks like some heavy rain and lightning is possible but not much in the way of severe. The 12z NAM drops 2.21" of rain at EWR.

41 minutes ago, Cfa said:

It seems we do a lot better at night with thunderstorms. This year I've only had one thunderstorm occur during the day, the rest occurred at night.

Its still very early in the season. We don't really get into the good storms/severe stuff until July. We've actually done well this year relative to the past few years I think

33 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

Some nice supercells over Central PA, especially the one just West of Lock Haven. 

The HRRR has all of this activity vanishing into thin air as it moves East.

Yeah, lots of action out there.  Socked in here with clouds, cool air, and a light mist.  I'm thinking the HRRR will be right.

A few hundred J/KG of SBCAPE, good shear and decent mid-level lapse rates to go along with great low level lapse rates. Should something get going this afternoon it could be bombs away. SPC has included the area in a general risk for thunderstorms. I can see a thunderstorm going up over Rockland County from my office window which just started showing up on the latest radar loop.

WUNIDS_map?station=OKX&brand=wui&num=6&delay=15&type=N0R&frame=0&scale=0.13043478260869565&noclutter=0&showstorms=0&mapx=400&mapy=240&centerx=1182&centery=431.6666666666665&transx=782&transy=191.66666666666652&showlabels=1&severe=0&rainsnow=0&lightning=0&smooth=0&rand=24940382&lat=41.06000137&lon=-74.13999939&label=Ramsey%2C+NJ

I put a video up on YouTube from the Thunderstorm early in the morning on April 29th from my phone. Sorry for the quality but figure some on here would like to see it.

Definitely one of the best light shows I have seen in my 48 years. Very vivid as it approached, during and after as it moved east.

Grabbed the phone to capture a few minutes of it.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived