Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Convective Thread

weatherwiz

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, weatherwiz said:

The NAM actually looks a tad better with pushing some better mid-level support towards SNE by early evening.  I do think though we'll see a few nasty supercells out in the HV tomorrow.  

There's not much forcing but the atmosphere is loaded with moisture and basically no CIN. It won't take much to pop some convection. 

33 minutes ago, CT Rain said:

They seem pretty good to me. Nice overlap of CAPE and shear. 

It almost seemed like best LLJ was just a bit displaced from best instability.  Mid level wind fields are strong but best core is off to the west.  Wish we had the forcing.  I wonder if enhanced gets pulled back...was shocked to see it still this Far East 

6 hours ago, weatherwiz said:

It almost seemed like best LLJ was just a bit displaced from best instability.  Mid level wind fields are strong but best core is off to the west.  Wish we had the forcing.  I wonder if enhanced gets pulled back...was shocked to see it still this Far East 

YOu're the ultimate debbie downer these days!

12 minutes ago, CT Rain said:

YOu're the ultimate debbie downer these days!

:lol:

I remember always getting so excited over these setups and going crazy and the same result happened.  I think eventually I just finally said to myself...if lapse rates are garbage or the forcing isn't there...don't get hopes up.

extreme W CT def has a shot though I think.  

14 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

:lol:

I remember always getting so excited over these setups and going crazy and the same result happened.  I think eventually I just finally said to myself...if lapse rates are garbage or the forcing isn't there...don't get hopes up.

extreme W CT def has a shot though I think.  

Storm mode likely to be messy. Don't sell the Hartford/Springfield area short either. Adequate CAPE and a 50 knot LLJ is pretty impressive stuff. We're loaded with moisture so I find it hard to believe we're not going to see a lot of sh*t forming ahead of the main line. 

10 minutes ago, CT Rain said:

Storm mode likely to be messy. Don't sell the Hartford/Springfield area short either. Adequate CAPE and a 50 knot LLJ is pretty impressive stuff. We're loaded with moisture so I find it hard to believe we're not going to see a lot of sh*t forming ahead of the main line. 

This is another wrench thrown into the complexity of this whole potential.  Due to what you just mentioned, that could be something which reduces any potential too.  If there is too much going on updrafts may end up fighting each other and storms may not really be able to tap into all that potential aloft.  Storm motion too will tell alot.  If we get storms to somewhat track with more of a westerly to easterly track this would put the motion a bit more perpendicular to the mean flow which would further enhance low-level rotation.  It's going to be messy for sure.  Seems like another Dutchees county special incoming 

Just now, weatherwiz said:

This is another wrench thrown into the complexity of this whole potential.  Due to what you just mentioned, that could be something which reduces any potential too.  If there is too much going on updrafts may end up fighting each other and storms may not really be able to tap into all that potential aloft.  Storm motion too will tell alot.  If we get storms to somewhat track with more of a westerly to easterly track this would put the motion a bit more perpendicular to the mean flow which would further enhance low-level rotation.  It's going to be messy for sure.  Seems like another Dutchees county special incoming 

You need to set your expectations based on conditions. 

Is this 6/1/11 or 7/10/89? No. 

It's a moisture loaded, somewhat unstable, highly sheared sh*tshow and that results in all sorts of issues. Flooding, multi-cell clusters with damaging wind/spinner potentials, and the potential for a decent line with more widespread wind issues. 

Not a fun day to look for structure or to chase - no classic supercells - but it has all the makings of a mess with multiple convective modes and severe opportunities. Anytime you have super low LCLs, >500 jkg of sbCAPE, and 50 knots of wind just off the deck watch out for spinners. 

5 minutes ago, CT Rain said:

You need to set your expectations based on conditions. 

Is this 6/1/11 or 7/10/89? No. 

It's a moisture loaded, somewhat unstable, highly sheared sh*tshow and that results in all sorts of issues. Flooding, multi-cell clusters with damaging wind/spinner potentials, and the potential for a decent line with more widespread wind issues. 

Not a fun day to look for structure or to chase - no classic supercells - but it has all the makings of a mess with multiple convective modes and severe opportunities. Anytime you have super low LCLs, >500 jkg of sbCAPE, and 50 knots of wind just off the deck watch out for spinners. 

Good point.  I am currently working on a blog post which will mention all these possibilities and why but certainly mentioning how the situation isn't entirely clear as to how it will unfold.  Part has what's gone into my tone with this too has honestly been with twitter...getting into conversations with some saying severe weather outbreak, talking about tornadoes (which is much different than mentioning an isolated tornado), and saying this setup is insane.  

This actually somewhat reminds me of July 2013 I think it was...it was the event of Kevin's fakenado

8 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

Good point.  I am currently working on a blog post which will mention all these possibilities and why but certainly mentioning how the situation isn't entirely clear as to how it will unfold.  Part has what's gone into my tone with this too has honestly been with twitter...getting into conversations with some saying severe weather outbreak, talking about tornadoes (which is much different than mentioning an isolated tornado), and saying this setup is insane.  

This actually somewhat reminds me of July 2013 I think it was...it was the event of Kevin's fakenado

Except it was real with multiple eyewitness accounts. To this day I still run into people that saw it OTG

Just now, weatherwiz said:

seems like all mesos are onto the idea of the backed sfc winds.  Idea makes sense too looking at things 

We know the valleys will get some channeled flow. And S winds in this environment (70 dews) doesn't hurt as much as when we're relying on high temps to get the CAPE.

It's just going to be a classic ugly New England severe day. The kind of day that has low, ragged ceilings, and sends Kevin hanging out his window with Zapruder film images of a fake-nado.

1 minute ago, OceanStWx said:

We know the valleys will get some channeled flow. And S winds in this environment (70 dews) doesn't hurt as much as when we're relying on high temps to get the CAPE.

It's just going to be a classic ugly New England severe day. The kind of day that has low, ragged ceilings, and sends Kevin hanging out his window with Zapruder film images of a fake-nado.

all the parameters are fun to look at but I still don't think we see all that much in SNE.  The only hope is if we do pop discrete and they push through.  That line is going to fizzle in no time as it approaches.  The thing is though if we do pop any discrete the timing for that looks to be like 3-6 PM which is actually when the parameters are move favorable for supercells/isolated tornado.  Looks like cape/shear are maximized from like 18z-22z

28 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

all the parameters are fun to look at but I still don't think we see all that much in SNE.  The only hope is if we do pop discrete and they push through.  That line is going to fizzle in no time as it approaches.  The thing is though if we do pop any discrete the timing for that looks to be like 3-6 PM which is actually when the parameters are move favorable for supercells/isolated tornado.  Looks like cape/shear are maximized from like 18z-22z

Analogs for at least one severe report

PRALLC01_nam212F024.png.fb48c8856bf3297fa5f3ed64c7feb414.png

Some thoughts so far this morning:

Plenty of sun out there. Stratus across SNE may help keep dews from mixing out and keep winds locally backed. Initiation looks like it could be early, especially with differential heating boundaries setting up between clouds and sun. Winds pretty southerly across most of the region. MWN already gusting 50 knots.

Archived