Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Convective Thread

weatherwiz

11 minutes ago, WxBlue said:

Keep in mind there's also student volunteer program (which is basically like an unpaid internship) during summers as long as you're still in college. I looked into doing it at NWS GYX (not sure they still do it) before doing the program at NWS MHX. Great experience.

I did not know this!  Thanks for that information.  I'll keep that in mind

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, weatherwiz said:

That's crazy.  How long does it take to go through all those applications?  What determines what individual is more qualified than another?  Really interesting process.  I'm trying to decide how I want to go about interning.  Not sure if I should apply for an internship at a news station, try NWS, or any other routes.  

See below, interns in the NWS aren't your traditional interns in a job. They are full salaried meteorologist in training positions. In fact the NWS is moving to get rid of that designation completely and just have all new hires progress through training and become general forecasters without the need for a promotion. It hasn't fully transitioned to that yet though.

9 hours ago, WxBlue said:

Keep in mind there's also student volunteer program (which is basically like an unpaid internship) during summers as long as you're still in college. I looked into doing it at NWS GYX (not sure they still do it) before doing the program at NWS MHX. Great experience.

As for how long it takes to get through those applications, it varies. It used to be a pretty quick process, maybe a month to process and another few weeks to select interviewees and make the hire. Now it may take several months for an office to even get the list of names of who are qualified. Qualifications are based on school work (there is a base level of education expected), experience, military experience, etc. Someone who has a masters degree, volunteered at an NWS office, and is a military vet would rank higher than someone who has a bachelors degree, no military experience, but still volunteered at an NWS office. 

My personal experience included no military, BS, and no NWS internship. I didn't get included on any list sent to NWS offices. 

Two years later I had a masters and volunteered at BOX, I made every list of qualified people. Still only got two interviews out of 25 or so openings.

13 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

See below, interns in the NWS aren't your traditional interns in a job. They are full salaried meteorologist in training positions. In fact the NWS is moving to get rid of that designation completely and just have all new hires progress through training and become general forecasters without the need for a promotion. It hasn't fully transitioned to that yet though.

As for how long it takes to get through those applications, it varies. It used to be a pretty quick process, maybe a month to process and another few weeks to select interviewees and make the hire. Now it may take several months for an office to even get the list of names of who are qualified. Qualifications are based on school work (there is a base level of education expected), experience, military experience, etc. Someone who has a masters degree, volunteered at an NWS office, and is a military vet would rank higher than someone who has a bachelors degree, no military experience, but still volunteered at an NWS office. 

My personal experience included no military, BS, and no NWS internship. I didn't get included on any list sent to NWS offices. 

Two years later I had a masters and volunteered at BOX, I made every list of qualified people. Still only got two interviews out of 25 or so openings.

Very interesting...thanks for this information.  Definitely good to know and something I can pass along to fellow classmates.  

It did ... 

not so sure anymore ... This pig rain area is now officially robbing hours of destablization potential as it's cooling effects are eating up the morning hours.

Plus, satellite trends are not too hopeful that even if it gets out of here by 10 or 11, skies will be in any hurry to clear. 

I suppose we could be unstable based more purely on DP transport up under mechanics at mid levels ... but that's kind of what's driving this batch of morning rain.

New HRRR appears to recover the instability very slowly back to 800-1200 j/kg of CAPE in S NH. Even if we manage to get that much CAPE, which is doubtful due to lingering clouds, there's a serious VBV in the mid-level. I don't know if this is the case in New England, but that's tornado potential killer further south.

Yeaah...i'd be more willing to put my money on the rain area butt-bang timing as the biggest limitation...

It's after noon now and we are, for what seems like 8 or 10 times yet again this summer ...playing this race game against the clock with the back edge of deep layer clearing just now into western Ma/CT.

Seriously... I have seen this routine play out more than a couple times this summer.  We keep dawning with spoog skies and rain clusters from central/PA/NY eastward, then watching the best heating/instability potential get squandered away by clearing that finally makes into the area at 3 f'um o'clock.  Over and over and over again with this timing game. 

For me up here in Central NH I'm watching the cirrus back edge gallop NE bound quickly.  I thought that main line in Vermont would really start intensifying and move east to give us the severe shot later as skies clear up here for at least a couple of hours.  That line is not doing much of anything right now.  Maybe more discrete cells will form over W Mass/  S VT and quickly move up here?  Wind is really cranking with my SW exposure and Cu above are rapidly moving northbound...  Once this cirrus get out of here its going to feel and look very tropical with blue skies, fast moving low Cu and higher temps...

14 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

For me up here in Central NH I'm watching the cirrus back edge gallop NE bound quickly.  I thought that main line in Vermont would really start intensifying and move east to give us the severe shot later as skies clear up here for at least a couple of hours.  That line is not doing much of anything right now.  Maybe more discrete cells will form over W Mass/  S VT and quickly move up here?  Wind is really cranking with my SW exposure and Cu above are rapidly moving northbound...  Once this cirrus get out of here its going to feel and look very tropical with blue skies, fast moving low Cu and higher temps...

How do you think it looks for Monday and Tuesday up here? I'm camping in Laconia until Tuesday. Not sure if I should maybe head down to the cape or something for the last few days. Or just go home.

1 hour ago, WhiteLawns said:

How do you think it looks for Monday and Tuesday up here? I'm camping in Laconia until Tuesday. Not sure if I should maybe head down to the cape or something for the last few days. Or just go home.

Convection out of here this evening.  Beautiful tomorrow through Monday morning,  sunny, refreshing, low humidity,breezy but quite cool at night.  Things head downhill quickly by mid day Monday....

Got to see first hand damage from the TOR back on 07/01 that passed over the west shore of Long Lake yesterday that wiped out all the trees from Colonial Mast campground and my cousins cottage across from Cape Monday cove, There cottage was not visible from the lake prior to this event and you can still see all the damage that was left behind by the TOR

Tomatoes 07-01-17.PNG

8 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Got to see first hand damage from the TOR back on 07/01 that passed over the west shore of Long Lake yesterday that wiped out all the trees from Colonial Mast campground and my cousins cottage across from Cape Monday cove, There cottage was not visible from the lake prior to this event and you can still see all the damage that was left behind by the TOR

Tomatoes 07-01-17.PNG

Just think of all the money he saved to open up the view!

1 minute ago, mreaves said:

True. Will he be able to clean it up? Or does he have to leave some stumps?

That is actually 100% better then it was i was told yesterday.........lol, She also told me the boat at the dock is brand new and they had just launched it on Sunday as there other one was totaled , No, They can clean it up, There was a tree service company that was working the campground side to the right yesterday, The TOR passed from the right across the front of there property and across the lake into the cove, That last tree in the right of the photo that is still laying in half is in the direction that it went

Archived