Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Convective Thread

weatherwiz

1 minute ago, OceanStWx said:

When thunder roars, check your phone to see how much time you have left to enjoy the outdoors.

The best is when a few drunk people are like..."We'll be fine...what do you guys know...?"   To which a bright white CG strikes within a half mile. :facepalm:

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like the core of the steepest lapse rates will remain to the north.  Despite temps that got into the 80's and 90's with dews in the mid to upper 60's we're only spitting out 1000-1300 MLcape.  Dcape is quite high so any storms that pop can produce strong winds but once again we'll see updrafts really struggle to develop excellent cores to utilize wind shear aloft as Ncape values are only around 0.15.  

1 minute ago, OceanStWx said:

Chucking warnings for near AUG and straight out our window we can see the updraft. It's kind of fun to watch the various surges correspond to volume scans on the radar.

I love watching that happen.  I remember a few years back I was watching a t'storm come in and literally watched the gust front develop in front of my eyes.  I remember speaking with one of the skywarn guys on the phone saying this is strengthening very quickly...he said radar didn't look impressive really and the next scan...boom then the SVR went out 

5 hours ago, OceanStWx said:

That being said, BUF did have a nice TDS pass just south of town. Could've been a tornado on the ground for at least a few volume scans. I saw a few volumes scans with debris to nearly 4,000 feet. 

Few more pics, to see pictures like this basically in a metro area especially WNY is very rare. I know they are much more common in this sub-forum as Lake Eries lake shadow usually stabilizes the atmosphere all summer so convective activity is pretty rare here until the air temperature is cooler than the water temperature. 

2 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Few more pics, to see pictures like this basically in a metro area especially WNY is very rare. I know they are much more common in this sub-forum as Lake Eries lake shadow usually stabilizes the atmosphere all summer so convective activity is pretty rare here until the air temperature is cooler than the water temperature. 

5 hours ago, OceanStWx said:

Yeah, definitely a missed downburst. Storm dumped a 65 dBZ core from just below 20 kft.

That nasty cell came through Dover right when I was about to leave work. I'd guess we got 45-55 mph wind gusts at peak. 

17 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

No, I've had a few moments when I was like...."we need to go....NOW."

Many years back (about 1963) I was the lone boat - a 10-ft aluminum rowboat - on our small no-motors-allowed lake, on one of those cloudy and humid days common in NNJ summer.  Had a sprinkle or two but no hint of even a rumble, when a CG strike hit the hill to my east, less than 1/2 mile away.  By the time the oars were in the water there were CGs snapping on all sides, and within 20 seconds it was raining so hard that the surface was a 6" froth of splashes.  I didn't get that rowboat up on plane in my eagerness to no longer be the tallest object on 50 acres of water (while sitting in a superconductor watercraft), but it was close.

Chucking warnings for near AUG and straight out our window we can see the updraft. It's kind of fun to watch the various surges correspond to volume scans on the radar.

Drove thru the west edge of that on Rt 27 from the Sidney-Belgrade line to the Belgrade Stream bridge - slowed under 30, cars pulling over, heaviest rain I've seen all year, even as the sun was breaking thru to my left.  If I'd been willing to take a hand off the wheel to deploy the sun visor (puddles were yanking the pickup around), I'd have been using it and the high-speed wipers at the same time.  Nice rainbow over Messalonskee Lake, and not a drop at home.

1 hour ago, tamarack said:

Many years back (about 1963) I was the lone boat - a 10-ft aluminum rowboat - on our small no-motors-allowed lake, on one of those cloudy and humid days common in NNJ summer.  Had a sprinkle or two but no hint of even a rumble, when a CG strike hit the hill to my east, less than 1/2 mile away.  By the time the oars were in the water there were CGs snapping on all sides, and within 20 seconds it was raining so hard that the surface was a 6" froth of splashes.  I didn't get that rowboat up on plane in my eagerness to no longer be the tallest object on 50 acres of water (while sitting in a superconductor watercraft), but it was close.

Drove thru the west edge of that on Rt 27 from the Sidney-Belgrade line to the Belgrade Stream bridge - slowed under 30, cars pulling over, heaviest rain I've seen all year, even as the sun was breaking thru to my left.  If I'd been willing to take a hand off the wheel to deploy the sun visor (puddles were yanking the pickup around), I'd have been using it and the high-speed wipers at the same time.  Nice rainbow over Messalonskee Lake, and not a drop at home.

Sounds like you had a warm front just to the south with elevate convection over top of you.  

I've seen that sort of sudden thing before...  No warning, boom! If the low clouds were not there, you'd have seen the crispy edge of the CB about to glaciate very near-by. 

One of my fondest memories involving the weather was an innocuous looking dark base directly overhead. ...about 4:30 PM... day that maxed around 83 with a DP about 61 or 62. Standard summer characteristic.  That dark bottom was a member of a line of them that extended N and S of my location along an axis.  

Sat down for dinner, and could sense the loss of light out of window.  The base had grown and darkened further, to the point where it was utterly smooth.  The sun still shown in the west as it had slipped below the edge of the cloud, that was expanding in its own rite.  I was just beginning to wonder if rain drops would start falling when a there was a ping sound on the on the car top near by in the driveway.  Then another ...then overlapping. Giant jungle drops ..blat blat bla-blat-blat-blat.  Sun disappears as within two minutes from that point the air was reduced visibility and the street curbs had rivers rushing by.  Flits of lightning getting more frequent.  Go to the television and the ticker at the bottom of TWC had a warned cell just to my south.  

All of it formed literally directly overtop and along that axis.  It's amazing to see a zygote sort of cu turn into a base widening TCU and go the distance like that.  Now .. just imagine that happening over the top of the obscuring low clouds ...

to the point where it was utterly smooth

For convective storms, whenever I note that textured-appearing clouds have changed to smooth, it's an almost certain sign that a wall of rain is on the way.  Quite often the smooth part looks (deceptively) less dark than some nearer textured clouds.  Yesterday afternoon was no exception.

On 7/21/2017 at 9:05 PM, weatherwiz said:

Hey Chris, 

Who is in charge of hiring interns at GYX? 

My boss. 

The typical process is WFMO goes through applications to figure out who is truly qualified. That list of applicants (routinely in the hundreds) is sent to the office. The MIC, SOO, and WCM (sometimes leads too) go through and pick their top choices. Those get interviews. They select their choice, and region either approves or tells the local office to try again.

On 7/21/2017 at 10:32 AM, tamarack said:

I had a similar experience in an aluminum canoe about 5 years before that.   You kind of kiss the ground when you're finally home it doesn't f harms way...lol.

A couple of years ago I was out for a long ride and coming south into Saratoga I could hear something happening over the ridge by Sacandaga off my right shoulder.  I went through town and stopped at a convenient store to refill my bottles and by the time I came back out you couldn't see the bridge over Fish Creek a quarter mile over.  It was funny, everybody standing under the overhang and nobody willing to get in their car six feet away.  I waited a while and because I was tired I decided I'd lock up if I waited too long to do the last 30 of a 120 mile day so I took off into the rain and flinched every time one hit up on the ridge to my left.  What cracked me up, though, was it came so fast that all the boats on the lake were stacked up trying to get back in but some guys were still out there in the middle of the lake fishing.  I guess the storm brought on a bite and dammit they weren't going to waste it!  Some friends passed me about ten miles later and they said I was flying.  The outflow from that storm was the best tailwind... probably pushing all of 100 watts and going 28-30.  I love those days.  

17 hours ago, OceanStWx said:

My boss. 

The typical process is WFMO goes through applications to figure out who is truly qualified. That list of applicants (routinely in the hundreds) is sent to the office. The MIC, SOO, and WCM (sometimes leads too) go through and pick their top choices. Those get interviews. They select their choice, and region either approves or tells the local office to try again.

Ahh interesting, thanks.  One of my friends posted in our group chat the link to the application he found in a posting.  Heavily thought about applying 

4 hours ago, weatherwiz said:

Ahh interesting, thanks.  One of my friends posted in our group chat the link to the application he found in a posting.  Heavily thought about applying 

It's been vacant for nearly a year now. Finally got it pushed through so that people can apply for it. We actually have two openings but can only hire one. I'm guessing something on the order of 300-500 people will apply. I think our last intern posting got like 450 applicants.

13 hours ago, OceanStWx said:

It's been vacant for nearly a year now. Finally got it pushed through so that people can apply for it. We actually have two openings but can only hire one. I'm guessing something on the order of 300-500 people will apply. I think our last intern posting got like 450 applicants.

That's crazy.  How long does it take to go through all those applications?  What determines what individual is more qualified than another?  Really interesting process.  I'm trying to decide how I want to go about interning.  Not sure if I should apply for an internship at a news station, try NWS, or any other routes.  

1 hour ago, weatherwiz said:

That's crazy.  How long does it take to go through all those applications?  What determines what individual is more qualified than another?  Really interesting process.  I'm trying to decide how I want to go about interning.  Not sure if I should apply for an internship at a news station, try NWS, or any other routes.  

Keep in mind there's also student volunteer program (which is basically like an unpaid internship) during summers as long as you're still in college. I looked into doing it at NWS GYX (not sure they still do it) before doing the program at NWS MHX. Great experience.

Archived