Newest Member
    joxey
Convective Thread

weatherwiz

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, sbos_wx said:

Wouldn't really call that a hook echo, lol. That carries a certain severity in its definition that definitely does not fit the mold on that storm. We're looking at training downpours today, frequent lightning, some organized storms that might reach strong > severe.

I mean it was a hook, but it wasn't wild rotation. 

We've come a long way from the days when mets discovered that tornadic storms often present as hooks on radar displays. Now we know most supercells take that shape, and we need to dig deeper for TORs.

2 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

If you look at 2M temps from 18z to 21z tomorrow I can't tell if the major drop in temps is due to backdoor moving through, precipitation moving through, or a combination of both 

What backdoor? Deep, deep summer all the way to Montreal.

5 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

What backdoor? Deep, deep summer all the way to Montreal.

:lol:

I don't see much to really halt the southwestward progression of the BDCF.  What are some things to look at though to determine how quickly/slowly BDCF's move?  pressure gradients?  strength of temperature gradient?  

1 minute ago, weatherwiz said:

:lol:

I don't see much to really halt the southwestward progression of the BDCF.  What are some things to look at though to determine how quickly/slowly BDCF's move?  pressure gradients?  strength of temperature gradient?  

Watch where the high pressure builds. The NAM wants to build it into ME, which is why it sends the front to PHL. CMCreg is farther NE with the high, so farther NE with the front.

where ever the models want to average out the position of that BD ...shave 100 naut miles off the latitude (per interval) and push it that much more south of that mean. That's the standard inch violation of the summer enthusiast's butt.

Any questions? 

1 minute ago, Typhoon Tip said:

where ever the models want to average out the position of that BD ...shave 100 naut miles off the latitude (per interval) and push it that much more south of that mean. That's the standard inches of the summer enthusiast butt.

Any questions? 

And despite what some people may think, it's not driven by the water temps. Yes, to some degree colder water temps will support higher pressure and a propensity for high pressure to build into that region, but if the high builds into the Maritimes or New England, that front is moving SW. It just may be a "warmer" backdoor than in April or May.

west wind at 850 doesn't mean much.

look at the design/evolution of the mid level heights up N of Maine...They are in a confluent structure...which means surface pressures are positively differentiating because of the synoptic scaled DVM.   The +PP then sends a mass-continuity restoration wave (atmospheric tsunamis of cold misery) air back SW underneath the more apparent environmental flow.   

4 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

And despite what some people may think, it's not driven by the water temps. Yes, to some degree colder water temps will support higher pressure and a propensity for high pressure to build into that region, but if the high builds into the Maritimes or New England, that front is moving SW. It just may be a "warmer" backdoor than in April or May.

yeah the cold water can and does modulate the temperature down, but that's after the large scale mechanisms are set into motion..  The destiny of the annoying llv punch from the NE was written long before the ocean got involve. 

I don't think I recall any situation in the past where a BD was anywhere close to the mass-field discussion and it DIDN'T over-achieve.  Put it that way...  Never has it gone the other way.  

But... I'm sure it's happened at some point in the last 1,000,000 years of eastern North America's geological past -

31 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Watch where the high pressure builds. The NAM wants to build it into ME, which is why it sends the front to PHL. CMCreg is farther NE with the high, so farther NE with the front.

26 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Like you said, also pay attention to pressure gradient/change. For instance, the NAM has a +7 mb 6 hour change centered about over LWM with a strong pressure gradient through ORH to EWB. 

Thanks!!

Archived