joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Convective Thread

weatherwiz

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nasty CGs in that line. Good downpours but my friggin tarp blew up and over my stratus gauge...pisses me off. The Davis only has 0.25" so far, but it may have bird crap in it too. Decent subsevere wind too, but nbd really. Just enough to blow the tarp around.

16 minutes ago, eekuasepinniW said:

That was one of my most extreme shoot-the-gap experiences ever.  Basically nothing happened at all. 

.02"

Sorry eek.  Good hit here.  The line developed over me and I took a direct hit.  .95" of rain.  Few bolts west but as it past much more lightning east.  Got breezy, 25-30mph stuff.  Blue to the NW now.  Will the 2nd line in NYS ever make it as far as Central NH?

4 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

Brian, how much rain?  Really cool and comfortable behind the line!

No idea in the manual gauge. The Davis was only 0.25". It was hard enough for awhile that the tipper probably missed some rain...only a few hundredths diff though.

new lines and discrete cells strafing through NYS ... may be another round come in later on...  But you can see this present line really scouring out the skies and leaving a stable pool in its wake so it remains to be seen if the next stuff won't choke on it -

2 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

new lines and discrete cells strafing through NYS ... may be another round come in later on...  But you can see this present line really scouring out the skies and leaving a stable pool in its wake so it remains to be seen if the next stuff won't choke on it -

I'm wondering if that second round will perhaps impact CT.  Lots of sun here and no convectively overturned atmosphere.  Dews up around 70 too.  

Just now, weatherwiz said:

How are freezing levels?  Seems like enough shear to help support decent enough mid-level rotation to warrant large hail 

Shear is better down your way, and freezing levels are above 12,000 feet. So we need a good meso to get big hail.

58 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

I'm wondering if that second round will perhaps impact CT.  Lots of sun here and no convectively overturned atmosphere.  Dews up around 70 too.  

Ur getting squeezed from both directions...

The outflow from this is terminating as it approaches the CT border with Mass, but you can also delineate the LI venom air pushing N ... almost a 1/3 N thru the state...  It may not 'feel' that way at the surface down there, but my experience in SNE is that when the S.C. line of clearing goes through it has a way of putting the ka-bosh on stuff whether the thermometer house reflects a change in air mass or not. 

course...the wind could veer a bit and change that too -

4 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

The outflow from this is terminating as it approaches the CT border with Mass, but you can also delineate the LI venom air pushing N ... almost a 1/3 N thru the state...  It may not 'feel' that way at the surface down there, but my experience in SNE is that when the S.C. line of clearing goes through it has a way of putting the ka-bosh on stuff whether the thermometer house reflects a change in air mass or not. 

How about the southern half of Mass? The sun has been out all day here, and it looks like that line north of us will not get anywhere near us.

Just now, WinterLand said:

How about the southern half of Mass? The sun has been out all day here, and it looks like that line north of us will not get anywhere near us.

It's going to be worth watching through the remaining afternoon and evening. 

This initial line developed on an outflow arc as it pushed into SNE's near unabated diabatic heating...  If the trigger wasn't there, we'd all still be waiting. 

13 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

It does appear the northward progression of the sea breeze boundary has halted a bit with sfc winds becoming more SW.  Don't see any CIN with SB or ML.  Part of the issue too is best forcing might be a tad too far north 

Archived