• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Convective Thread

weatherwiz

I'm thinking that we see two areas of heavy rainfall tomorrow morning and lasting through the early afternoon.  First area should be from central/southern CT then traversing towards the NW corner of the state as we approach the afternoon hours.  Here we have a very good juxtaposition of fairly strong llvl winds (advecting in moisture off the Atlantic), decent frontogenesis, increasing theta-e and high PWAT values.  There should also be enhanced llvl convergence thanks to developing sfc low tracking just south of CT (if not perhaps even inland a bit).  

The second area should be from SE CT into much of RI and into SE MA.  Looks like a second area of enhanced frontogenesis across this area plus the ingredients mentioned above.   

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

gfs was way overdone already in central PA today, low confidence in its robust solutions north of 95 for tonight and tomorrow. I kind of see more of a shredded mess like the rgem depicts, although i could see a decent first round early morning for wct...but other than that, i dont see it being a complete washout like on air mets initially thought. 

16 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

gfs was way overdone already in central PA today, low confidence in its robust solutions north of 95 for tonight and tomorrow. I kind of see more of a shredded mess like the rgem depicts, although i could see a decent first round early morning for wct...but other than that, i dont see it being a complete washout like on air mets initially thought. 

I think what's supposed to help with our rain potential is the development/strengthening of the sfc low, increased theta-e, increasing frontogenesis, and stronger aid from increasing LLJ  The biggest question though with regards to the heavy rain threat is just how far north the warm front penetrates...this is also crucial in determining whether there is the potential for a quick tornado along the south coast...18z GFS bufkit profile for Groton wasn't too shabby looking around 18z.  

2 hours ago, weatherwiz said:

I think what's supposed to help with our rain potential is the development/strengthening of the sfc low, increased theta-e, increasing frontogenesis, and stronger aid from increasing LLJ  The biggest question though with regards to the heavy rain threat is just how far north the warm front penetrates...this is also crucial in determining whether there is the potential for a quick tornado along the south coast...18z GFS bufkit profile for Groton wasn't too shabby looking around 18z.  

Yea, gfs has the front pretty far north. The nam reaches the 84 corridor. It's a nowcast overnight. 

6 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Yea, gfs has the front pretty far north. The nam reaches the 84 corridor. It's a nowcast overnight. 

Past history I think favors the front staying more south than north but we'll see.  Even if the front does push inland the dirty warm sector may be so filled with rain that there is little instability (despite good theta-e air/high dews)...or at least enough for convection to work with.  But even solid showers may show signs of rotation lol

000 FXUS61 KOKX 071210 AFDOKX Area Forecast Discussion National Weather Service New York NY && .

NEAR TERM /UNTIL 6 PM THIS EVENING/... Several factors, the latest trends in radar, high res models, and 06Z guidance all pointing toward the axis of heaviest rain across the Lower Hudson Valley and interior southern CT, That being the case, have shifted the axis north of the coast, but still forecasting 1-2 inches region-wide. Ingredients are coming together for several hours of moderate to heavy rainfall across the area this morning. An upper trough emerging from the Ohio Valley will aid the development of a frontal wave that will pass in close proximity to Long Island this morning, and then east of New England this evening. The combination of deep-layered moisture and lift will allow for moderate to heavy banded rainfall along and just north of the low track. Additionally, mesoscale bands of localized heavy rainfall are possible with several inches of rainfall and flash flooding of urban/poor drainage areas. The axis of heaviest rainfall at this time appears to be shifting north of the coast, where the best frontogenetic forcing exists. This may allow for a widespread moderate to heavy showers across these areas, while stronger convective elements may be present closer to the coast due to better instability. However, the severe weather threat is low. While LCLs are low in this environment, the best low-level shear will likely be just south with the front and the instability is only marginal. The rain exits the area by early afternoon across far eastern locations, with the potential for some late afternoon/early evening showers/isolated thunderstorms across the interior due to weak instability and differential heating across the hills north and west of NYC.  && .

The initial surge of moisture was more S Coast but the stratiform rain shield has definitely been pretty solid further north, highest totals will probably be in areas that benefited from both, This area over to Kevin starting to catch up but has been somewhat of a local minimum due to this mornings dry slot between the two areas of precip.

Archived