• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Convective Thread

weatherwiz

Here's a shot from the Cheshire-southington line looking east down the Meriden-Waterbury Turnpike from the connector for 691 to 84E.....anybody want to comment on that thin rope feature extending down and to the left center of pic?  It showed up in multiple pics so it's definitely a cloud featureIMG_1274.thumb.JPG.d230a0e56a2ccaebcd5777b3744f510b.JPG

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, ice1972 said:

Here's a shot from the Cheshire-southington line looking east down the Meriden-Waterbury Turnpike from the connector for 691 to 84E.....anybody want to comment on that thin rope feature extending down and to the left center of pic?  It showed up in multiple pics so it's definitely a cloud featureIMG_1274.thumb.JPG.d230a0e56a2ccaebcd5777b3744f510b.JPG

Awesome shot!

12 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

I'm actually going to have to water the garden tomorrow morning I guess.

I'm so happy about how everything looks. I'm like a proud papa. Just hope we can get some drinks. This area since 2015 has had some uncanny bad luck in convection. But been getting snow lol. 

16 minutes ago, ice1972 said:

Looks like a rope treetop TOR!

The hail was so widespread today you almost could've thrown "occasional hail" into the forecast.

Nice ob out of MHT a bit ago.

METAR KMHT 280020Z 31008KT 8SM +TSGRRA SCT018CB BKN033 BKN050 BKN200 17/12 A2995 RMK AO2 LTG DSNT W-NE RAB15GRB18 
FRQ LTGICCG OHD TS OHD MOV NE GR 1/4 P0006 T01670122 $ =

Low heights along with mid level lapse rates being steep combined to produce prolific hail.   The freezing levels were not appreciably high yesterday, so suspending any updraft cores for any length of time through a relatively low phase transition altitude would aggregate ice proficiently, as well as help keep particles in tact in the heavier fall cores.  

It's almost a smack in the face homage to "ripping off" summer in the sense that was a March air mass mid way up the cloud towers...  Ha - we can't seem to shake the Earth's multi-year obsessive rage to keep troughing locked over the NE Conus.  ... 

Yesterday was also an exercise in top of the line efficiency in CAPE usage...  We were generating severe with excessive rainfall rates ...some with embedded heavy hail cores, with DPs in the low 50s!  Some places picked up over 3" of water from that.  The only thing preventing FF was probably the storm motion being pretty quick - which also says something in how communities managed to coat the ground in hail in like 5 minutes of rage.  At least ... this is what appears to characterize the day from the reports I'm seeing - Not sure if anyone reported hail duration per se..  

Anyway, always seems to come back to mid level lapse rates.    

15 hours ago, hammerz_nailz said:

ceb785f3-d025-4af9-a585-962841d020f9_zps

Geraniums got pummeled

They did well to not get chopped up even worse, considering the amount/size of those chunks.  As is often the case, the storms avoided my place except for a 6 PM "fringing" that barely got the ground wet, while sites 20-30 miles east and south had downpours with hail.  As of 5 minutes ago, of the 135+ listed cocorahs observers in Maine/NH, only a handful right next to New Brunswick (Eastport/Pembroke/Lubec, all with zero) reported less than my 0.01".

On 6/27/2017 at 9:16 PM, dendrite said:

The hail was so widespread today you almost could've thrown "occasional hail" into the forecast.

Nice ob out of MHT a bit ago.

METAR KMHT 280020Z 31008KT 8SM +TSGRRA SCT018CB BKN033 BKN050 BKN200 17/12 A2995 RMK AO2 LTG DSNT W-NE RAB15GRB18 
FRQ LTGICCG OHD TS OHD MOV NE GR 1/4 P0006 T01670122 $ =

Do not love the axing of GS in the METARs.

Archived