Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Convective Thread

weatherwiz

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

we had a solid thunderstorm at sun set last night up along rt. Poop in N Mass...

Replete with shelf cloud and occasional CG...   The tree tops and branches swayed a little in outflow breezes and sheets of rains danced down the road surface for about 10 minutes.  

Also, saw a photo of hail in Herkemer NY that covered a back deck and piled 6" deep below the eaves.   meso-analysis or not, that's typical of decent lapse rates.  

It's just that the convection was low top.  Mid levels are lower in the troposphere when the sounding is altitude challenged by lower heights.  

Today we have more 600 mb anvil smashed CU festooning the sky.  There's even some glaciation evidenced out in NYS so we may have a sprinkles (the NE severe convection!) .. 

by the way the NAM nailed that QPF yesterday... 

1 hour ago, weatherwiz said:

Should be pretty active...especially northern CT up north.  Scattered thunderstorms and probably a few storms dropping 1''+ hail

i'd like to see the skies open up to more sky-lights...  Sat does show that tending to be the case, but it would have been better not to have had cool rains infiltrate matters from 8 to 11 from east to west across SNE this morning. 

perhaps we can make up for that with height falls associated with that trough core?   who knows -  ... lapse rates are steep...

51 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

i'd like to see the skies open up to more sky-lights...  Sat does show that tending to be the case, but it would have been better not to have had cool rains infiltrate matters from 8 to 11 from east to west across SNE this morning. 

perhaps we can make up for that with height falls associated with that trough core?   who knows -  ... lapse rates are steep...

Yeah I do wish we had more in the way of sun but that's trying to happen.  Height falls are pretty solid and the s/w is pretty potent so hopefully that can overcome lack of stronger heating 

you can tell by the tower behavior early on here that it won't take much.   

Interestingly there seems to be two initiation levels...  There are higher based, almost mid level dark ceiling regions with domes poking above them up into higher altostratus decks. Then there are lower level CUs popping off in the vicinity of sky-lights that are poking up to kiss the bottoms - 

SPC has a meso disco out.  May be a watch in coming?

1 hour ago, weatherwiz said:

Great...hail in West Hartford.  What ****** bull****.  Absolute and total bull****.  You gotta be fooking kidding me.  I knew this **** would happen.  Then some storm develops and passes just to my north here.  This summer is a giant heap of ***hole ****.  **** IT

orh

IMG_20170627_170509.jpg

Archived