Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Convective Thread

weatherwiz

1 hour ago, BrianW said:

I am sure many of you know about this site but lightingmaps.org is awesome. I have had a few close strikes and they really do come up almost instantly on the maps.

The network consists of more than 500 lightning receivers and some central processing servers. The sources of the signals we locate are in general lightning discharges. The abbreviation VLF (Very Low Frequency) refers to the frequency range of 3 to 30 kHz. The receiving stations approximately record one millisecond of each signal with a sampling rate of more than 500 kHz. With the help of GPS receivers, the arrival times of the signals are registered with microsecond precision and sent over the Internet to our central processing servers. Every data sentence contains the precise time of arrival of the received lightning discharge impulse ("sferic") and the exact geographic position of the receiver. With this information from several stations the exact positions of the discharges are computed.

When ever I try to open "lightingmaps.org" I get referred to Amazon.  Is that the proper link?  or, did you mean lightningmaps.org?

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, bobbutts said:

Seems cool but it doesn't seem to work well for my area.  Pretty frequent thunder here for the last 10 mins and nothing at all showing up.

We need more coverage up here. The green and red builds of the system required a lot of circuit board soldering expertise (which I don't have). The new blue build is a little easier to assemble, but probably still beyond my capability.

4 hours ago, weatherwiz said:

not a bad setup tomorrow. should have a few thunderstorms with strong winds and maybe some hail 

Monday was full of anticipation that did not live up to the potential - other than perhaps the rainfall amounts.

Now you're getting me all excited again.

Prepared for the disappointment, I am.

1 hour ago, radiator said:

That patch of deep purple on the radar East of Winsted (CT) looks ominous enough...

"HAZARD...60 mph wind gusts and quarter size hail. "

But the lightning map is pretty meh...  Oh well...

Lightning not really a major risk with this.  Storms haven't really grown to be rather tall (at least tall enough to utilize cape within the -10C to -30C zone.  Low-ish freezing levels, steep-ish mid-level lapse rate and modest 0-3km shear enough to help with hail generation in the stronger cores.  Dry BL/sfc yielding inverted-v profiles helping with high Dcape values and enhancing potential for stronger gusts within the cores.  

14 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Today is a congrats far south coast day with seabreeze storms. Everyone else nada

great call!

43 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I'm in that other heavy core to his left. About 1 mile WSW

ooops

Archived