Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Convective Thread

weatherwiz

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am sure many of you know about this site but lightingmaps.org is awesome. I have had a few close strikes and they really do come up almost instantly on the maps.

The network consists of more than 500 lightning receivers and some central processing servers. The sources of the signals we locate are in general lightning discharges. The abbreviation VLF (Very Low Frequency) refers to the frequency range of 3 to 30 kHz. The receiving stations approximately record one millisecond of each signal with a sampling rate of more than 500 kHz. With the help of GPS receivers, the arrival times of the signals are registered with microsecond precision and sent over the Internet to our central processing servers. Every data sentence contains the precise time of arrival of the received lightning discharge impulse ("sferic") and the exact geographic position of the receiver. With this information from several stations the exact positions of the discharges are computed.

lighting.JPG

Wait-weren't you also with her in California?

Lol, yes. She's a flight attendant and opted to take lax to Chicago cause she didn't think she would get on nonstop to bos. Turns out she would have gotten a seat. Worst of it was she was delayed out of ord while I pretty much flew on by. Oh well, gave me an hour to get dinner at legal seafood. Grab the 730 bus

Be home by 10.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, BrianW said:

I am sure many of you know about this site but lightingmaps.org is awesome. I have had a few close strikes and they really do come up almost instantly on the maps.

The network consists of more than 500 lightning receivers and some central processing servers. The sources of the signals we locate are in general lightning discharges. The abbreviation VLF (Very Low Frequency) refers to the frequency range of 3 to 30 kHz. The receiving stations approximately record one millisecond of each signal with a sampling rate of more than 500 kHz. With the help of GPS receivers, the arrival times of the signals are registered with microsecond precision and sent over the Internet to our central processing servers. Every data sentence contains the precise time of arrival of the received lightning discharge impulse ("sferic") and the exact geographic position of the receiver. With this information from several stations the exact positions of the discharges are computed.

lighting.JPG

Seems cool but it doesn't seem to work well for my area.  Pretty frequent thunder here for the last 10 mins and nothing at all showing up.

14 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

Lol, yes. She's a flight attendant and opted to take lax to Chicago cause she didn't think she would get on nonstop to bos. Turns out she would have gotten a seat. Worst of it was she was delayed out of ord while I pretty much flew on by. Oh well, gave me an hour to get dinner at legal seafood. Grab the 730 bus

Be home by 10.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Unless she gets delayed due to storms . When's the last bus?

Archived