Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Convective Thread

weatherwiz

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Overcast and darkish.  Near constant thunder to SW, light rain.  Very little definition to clouds, kind of like a dark rainy day.  Training cells look about to start here.  Could be a big rain event.  No wind at all, no shelf cloud.  Almost like we are in the rain from over riding anvils in front of the cells

Untitled.jpg

I just found myself inside a new Western CT severe thunderstorm warning - right in that yellow box on the radar (for the cell that's near Pawling now). About a half hour until it gets here.

Looks like it's nowhere near as active as the one north of Poughkeepsie, though.

The earlier one passed to my north...

2 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Overall nothing impressive though. Some nasty CGs and heavy rain, but that's about it. Barely a puff of wind.

Same here.  Lots of CG's past couple hours.  Very little wind.  Almost like a dark fall rainy day but with tons of lightning.  Mostly moderate rain type stuff.  Only about .40".   Looks like a break and then the next line.  

I almost never retreat from lightning, but the number of windows in this house sent me cryin' for my momma this time.  I think a pole or something extremely close got hit... heard two loud zap-pops come from my bedroom and found several of my arc-fault circuit breakers tripped.  Everything seems fine though.  

Thought that mini-bow coming up from the SW would pack some nice damaging winds, but there was not a breath of wind.

1.23"

6 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

At Rockledge golf course in WeHa waiting :thumbsup:

You're probably in just the right place to see the heavy lightning over the Winsted area.

Lightning tapered way off when the rain came (well, except for the strike that just hit about a mile south of here, that is) - and boy is it raining here...

26 minutes ago, eekuasepinniW said:

I almost never retreat from lightning, but the number of windows in this house sent me cryin' for my momma this time.  I think a pole or something extremely close got hit... heard two loud zap-pops come from my bedroom and found several of my arc-fault circuit breakers tripped.  Everything seems fine though.  

Thought that mini-bow coming up from the SW would pack some nice damaging winds, but there was not a breath of wind.

1.23"

Was it frequent or just that one strike?

Archived