SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Convective Thread

weatherwiz

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lot of rotation yesterday ...through the deep layer too....  

There's a pretty fantast LP supercell that was caught on video passing near/over westford Mass between 6 and 7 last eve... which I saw on Facebook this morning.  I know, because I saw that same cell pass to my SE from my vantage point in Ayer.  

Here is a still shot of that from my perspective; note the bottom right lenticular smoothed surface of the meso:

sup.thumb.jpg.dca16ffce8de15e624a22f891e71efb1.jpg

It was not exceptionally tall in the troposphere.. I estimate the cloud top/turrets spiking perhaps to 25,000 K. Yet, it didn't stop this puppy from coiling right up!  What is not present in this image is that commercial airline traffic could be seen leaving short terminating contrails as they flew over the top the structure.  One hit the setting sun just right and shot a sparkle that really gave this entire visage an indescribable perspective.   

Also, in this later image there were bolts of lightning visibly darting out into both free air and the ground on the left side of  the image:

sup2.thumb.jpg.652671dd9b62bcb254b2029c5d9f632e.jpg

Lastly ...here is a short video clip of this beast as mentioned, shot from the vantage point of Westford, two towns over:

The interesting aspect was the clockwise rotation of this meso/storm structure.  This didn't have a typical Plains coupled cyclonic cell that split off and meandered right where this one went left of the environmental flow.  I watched the zygot TCU cluster that preceded this organization and it just seemed to evolve into a clockwise rotator from the get go - 

Amazing treat of clear air cloud photage considering the days spent more than half of its self under a drab socked in gray.  It is noted that about 1.5 hour prior to this supercell, the sky did clear and the temp shot up from the mid 60s to the mid 70s.

Archived