• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Winter 2016-2017; "The Interior and New England Strike Back"

40/70 Benchmark

Nice job Ray. Very well thought out and written. It seems that BOS and cstl Essex had a bit of a min in snow. You can argue the issues with measurers, but it does seem like they were in a bit of a hole. Once again areas south had a decent winter with the Cape quietly having a good winter. Most of SE MA had 45-60". I feel like this winter had some well timed events given how warm it was until March.

On May 20, 2017 at 8:24 AM, CoastalWx said:

Nice job Ray. Very well thought out and written. It seems that BOS and cstl Essex had a bit of a min in snow. You can argue the issues with measurers, but it does seem like they were in a bit of a hole. Once again areas south had a decent winter with the Cape quietly having a good winter. Most of SE MA had 45-60". I feel like this winter had some well timed events given how warm it was until March.

Yes, I feel like a got a little lucky with how well my outlook did in the snow department because the AO being so positive usually hurts more in a la nina.

9 hours ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Yes, I feel like a got a little lucky with how well my outlook did in the snow department because the AO being so positive usually hurts more in a la nina.

You know how it goes....as long as the Pacific isn't sending chinook vomit eastward...we can make it work. 

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎5‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 8:24 AM, CoastalWx said:

Adding to the forecasting degree of difficulty was how streaky the temps were - not day-to-day yo-yos so  uch as runs of 10 days to 20+, at least in my area. 
The DFJFM chronology:

DEC 1-10:  +0.4  The only near-average streak.
DEC 11-20:  -13.8 with storms of 6" and 7".
DEC 21-30:  +3.9 but included the 21" dump of 29-30.
DEC 31-JAN 10:  -4.6
JAN 11-30:  +11.5, including +16.2 on 19-29 with all 11 days at least +12.  Had the 2nd of 4 wintry events with qpf +/-2", the "kitchen sink" storm of 24-25.
JAN 1-FEB 15:  -3.3 with 45" snow.
FEB 16-MAR 2:  +11.2  Only snow was the 1.7" end game of the 15-16 storm.
MAR 3-31:  -7.1, including -8.6 for 3-24.  The 14-15 blizzard was almost all there was, but its intensity made up for scarcity.

Totals for DJFM:  Temp for 121 days was -0.11, with 118.0" snow.  It's my closest to average DJFM  temp in my 19 winters here.

Edit:  The swings bring to mind 1995-96, when for 5 months DEC-APR the first part (ranged from 10-22 days) would be cold and snowy, the last part warm and wet.  (Though late DEC was just meh - slightly AN with little snow.)

Archived