Newest Member
    joxey
Plans for the Great American Eclispe, Aug 21, 2017

jburns

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, kvegas-wx said:

Serious question folks, my daughter has a telescope that she has asked to use and just put her glasses over the eye piece.  It also has a moon filter on it.  Would this be safe for viewing?  My gut says yes because the light isnt amplified, only reflected.  Would love your feedback!

The rule is thumb is if you can see normal lights in your household through your filtered glasses, it's not safe enough for the eclipse so you should ask her to test it out with the lights in your home.

7 minutes ago, LovingGulfLows said:

The rule is thumb is if you can see normal lights in your household through your filtered glasses, it's not safe enough for the eclipse so you should ask her to test it out with the lights in your home.

Sorry, should have been more clear.  She wants to put her "eclipse" glasses on and then look through the eyepiece.  Goal being to see the beads a little clearer.

2 minutes ago, kvegas-wx said:

Sorry, should have been more clear.  She wants to put her "eclipse" glasses on and then look through the eyepiece.  Goal being to see the beads a little clearer.

No!!! Not safe!!! Only if the filter is over the front of the telescope. 

23 minutes ago, kvegas-wx said:

Serious question folks, my daughter has a telescope that she has asked to use and just put her glasses over the eye piece.  It also has a moon filter on it.  Would this be safe for viewing?  My gut says yes because the light isnt amplified, only reflected.  Would love your feedback!

Better idea...

Just get the telescope pointed at the sun (by using your hand behind the eye piece so you know when your on the sun) and then hold a piece of white paper or art board out behind the eyepiece.  It will project a large image of the sun onto the paper and you can focus it.  This is what I'm going to do and the sun will be about the size of a basketball on my piece of paper.  Works like a champ.

Thanks for the feedback on the telescope idea.  Found the online manual and sun viewing without a separately purchased filter will damage the scope.  So thats out!

May not matter anyway as the cloud deck moving west from GSO is proving to be thick.  Big cumulus coming in.  Plan B is to head north at the last minute up to the farm in stuart va to see if we can salvage anything.  Otherwise this is just a youtube event.  Ugh!

Archived