Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Plans for the Great American Eclispe, Aug 21, 2017

jburns

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For future reference, 97% means you have a half ring around the moon and very dim lighting.  I did notice a temp drop of 9 degrees, the birds started noticeably chirping and the mosquitos came out.  Pretty awesome, but totality is a must.  Already planning 2024 at my folks place in Cincinnati!

7 minutes ago, HKY_WX said:

Kinda disappointing considering how close totality was. Should have driven to columbia, but se la vie. I got a neat pic on my phone of w/ this solar eclipse app i downloaded.

Yeah, in CLT it was rather disappointing to me.  97% and it was pretty bright outside.  Perhaps a early twilight feel to it, but not dark at all though just "tinted" a bit.  I wouldn't have noticed it if I didn't know there was an eclipse going on.  Maybe it was alot better along the 100% line.  

2 minutes ago, SnowNiner said:

Yeah, in CLT it was rather disappointing to me.  97% and it was pretty bright outside.  Perhaps a early twilight feel to it, but not dark at all though just "tinted" a bit.  I wouldn't have noticed it if I didn't know there was an eclipse going on.  Maybe it was alot better along the 100% line.  

Yes it was.  Wasn't until about 15 sec before totality when the brightness really fell off.  The sun puts out a lot of light.  Was like dusk for those 2 minutes.

5 minutes ago, SnowNiner said:

The one thing this does do, is make you realize/experience the power of the sun. It's incredible to think how quickly it cooled off. Also how bright it was even w/ 92% covered up. Wild.

Awesome!  I was in Waterloo, SC at Rolling S Golf Club, until a fat cumulus parked over the one end of it around go time.  I made a last minute, literally, drive down the road approx a mile, pulled over on the side, woods all around but the sun was uncovered.  Saw the totality, ring around the sun, diamond ring effect, heard an owl hooting at the darkness then saw an owl fly by me across a nearby field.  Pretty sweet, but the only down side was being alone on the side of the road instead of having a group dynamic.  I am pretty sure Rolling S remained mostly cloud covered during the totality.

We stopped at the Kroger's off Killian Rd in N Columbia and parked in the back lot with several other folks.  Quite a celebratory experience.  

Also hightailed it back North the second it was over to miss the traffic.  Glad we did that.  It's a parking lot now.

That may just be the most spectacular thing I have ever seen.

Made a last minute move a few miles down the road to a large field to avoid cloud cover. Saw the 10 min before and 5 min after in perfectly clear sky with my family and prob another 200 people in that field. The diamond ring on the back side was beautiful! The temperature drop and darkness were incredible. I could see a sunset on opposite horizons. Wow!

God is an amazing Creator. The sun is 400x larger than the moon, and yet it is also 400x farther away to allow a perfect eclipse experience from a viewer on Earth. That does not happen by random chance.

Sent from my 6045O using Tapatalk

59 minutes ago, kvegas-wx said:

For future reference, 97% means you have a half ring around the moon and very dim lighting.  I did notice a temp drop of 9 degrees, the birds started noticeably chirping and the mosquitos came out.  Pretty awesome, but totality is a must.  Already planning 2024 at my folks place in Cincinnati!

Yeah, after seeing a total in Aruba I kept saying the same thing.  Even 99.5% partial is no big deal.  The totality is so sharp that people experiencing the same eclipse 5 miles apart have very different experiences.  Congrats to all that saw it!  

3 hours ago, franklin NCwx said:

Completely clear here 5 mins in.

Thanks franklin NCwx.  I have been camped out in Sapphire since Thursday.  Saw the clouds pop out of nowhere this morning and they kept building in.  Saw your post and the wife and I hightailed it to Franklin and got there with about 5 minutes to spare prior to totality, with the cloud bank just behind us.  Got to experience that moment and I'll never forget it.  On the way back, it was raining from Highlands all the way to Sapphire, and foggy to boot.  Thanks again!!!!

Archived