Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Plans for the Great American Eclispe, Aug 21, 2017

jburns

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, NCSNOW said:

Temp could drop 10 degrees and it'll still manage to be 90+ around the SE lol. 

I need this eclipse during one of our precip always seemingly arrives late afternoon winter weathe events. Yall remember those where you wake up to milky sky's and just enough solar radiation gets through half the day and raises temps into upper 30s while the DP's creep up and your wetbulb hoovers around 33 to 34. Then the precip arrives during peak heating about 3:00 in the afternoon.

Happened to my last winter storms! Nice " warm " up all day , then precip arrives 12-16 hours early, right at 3-5 in the afternoon! The thunderstorms still going on now , around CLT and just to my South, should cause concern, even as isolated as they were/are, was supposed to be zero!

The thing that is stopping this from being really bad the most is that it's on a Monday. If this fell just one or two days earlier, this would be a logistical nightmare beyond comprehension. So far traffic around the Atlanta area is typical inbound Monday morning traffic, albeit a bit of traffic on I-985 northbound towards the mountains. Anyone could easily make the 90 or so minute drive up I-85 and catch the totality right now(2 hr drive if you want to go to the SC/GA border). Not sure if it's poised to get really bad over the next few hours though.

Beautiful (nearly) clear sky in Greenville this morning.  My hotel is absolutely packed.  Looks like the routes out of Atlanta are getting full already.  Going to head over to Easley in about an hour probably.  HRRRRRR looks good from the upstate SC area.  Really curious if the eclipse cuts down on normal daytime CU development.  Have to think it would since it's coming near peak heating.  

5 hours till go time. Atleast we dont have to worry about temps,dryslots and BL for this event. Heres a time stamp . Amazing how fast this crosses the US.

Monday’s total eclipse will cast a shadow that will race through 14 states, entering near Lincoln City, Oregon, at 1:16 p.m. EDT, moving diagonally across the heartland over Casper, Wyoming, Carbondale, Illinois, and Nashville, Tennessee, and then exiting near Charleston, South Carolina, at 2:47 p.m. EDT.

The path will cut 2,600 miles (4,200 kilometers) across the land and will be just 60 to 70 miles (96 kilometers to 113 kilometers) wide. Shawnee National Forest in southern Illinois will see the longest stretch of darkness: 2 minutes and 44 seconds.

800.jpeg

Path of totality (AP Graphic/Nicky Forster)

4 minutes ago, NCSNOW said:

5 hours till go time. Atleast we dont have to worry about temps,dryslots and BL for this event. Heres a time stamp . Amazing how fast this crosses the US.

Monday’s total eclipse will cast a shadow that will race through 14 states, entering near Lincoln City, Oregon, at 1:16 p.m. EDT, moving diagonally across the heartland over Casper, Wyoming, Carbondale, Illinois, and Nashville, Tennessee, and then exiting near Charleston, South Carolina, at 2:47 p.m. EDT.

The path will cut 2,600 miles (4,200 kilometers) across the land and will be just 60 to 70 miles (96 kilometers to 113 kilometers) wide. Shawnee National Forest in southern Illinois will see the longest stretch of darkness: 2 minutes and 44 seconds.

800.jpeg

Path of totality (AP Graphic/Nicky Forster)

I'm not sure how these work but this has to be one of the narrower and shorter ones.  The next one in April 2024 that goes roughly from DFW to BUF is significantly wider than this so I assume it also lasts longer too although I think that means it's maybe 30-45 seconds longer 

20 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

I'm not sure how these work but this has to be one of the narrower and shorter ones.  The next one in April 2024 that goes roughly from DFW to BUF is significantly wider than this so I assume it also lasts longer too although I think that means it's maybe 30-45 seconds longer 

Yes, 70% of all solar eclipses are longer than this one so this is a relatiely short eclipse. What makes this one particularly special is that it goes coast to coast across the country so a varied amount of people from different regions can easily drive to the band of totality. That's why it'll be the most viewed in history...not only because it's easily accessible to U.S. citizens, but a lot of people from outside the country flewhere since America is also a developed country so people generally feel safer going here than a random non-developed country or the middle of the ocean.

Archived