Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Plans for the Great American Eclispe, Aug 21, 2017

jburns

14 minutes ago, drfranklin said:

my wife and I were at Pita House last night (live close by) and the line was out the door! had a large group of out-of-town "eclipsers" behind us ordering - they asked us, "is this Greenville?" :blink:

Lol! We were at the " Shuckin Shack" on Pelham, great seafood by the way! On Friday, walked right in, was fairly crowded, but no wait! Grit, how bad is it in CLT/ Lake Norman area

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Lol! We were at the " Shuckin Shack" on Pelham, great seafood by the way! On Friday, walked right in, was fairly crowded, but no wait! Grit, how bad is it in CLT/ Lake Norman area

I'm in route to Emerald Isle. I was just replying to the infrastructure comment. I-77 north of Charlotte can never be trusted (frequent backed up traffic)

3 minutes ago, Wow said:

Looking at Google traffic maps, I-81 looks terrible all the way through VA and I-85 from NC/SC line to GSP looks bad.

It's happening! I guess I won't get a true feel of the trafficpacolypse, until I'm heading to work at 6 AM tomorrow in Greenville, SC. They are halting all road construction through tomorrow, and there is tons of it, to help with traffic, in all of SC I believe.

5 minutes ago, mackerel_sky said:

It's happening! I guess I won't get a true feel of the trafficpacolypse, until I'm heading to work at 6 AM tomorrow in Greenville, SC. They are halting all road construction through tomorrow, and there is tons of it, to help with traffic, in all of SC I believe.

looks like inbound lanes into GVL from NC are congested - inbound from GA are mainly clear ATM

5 minutes ago, kvegas-wx said:

I85 south from china grove thru the construction (concord mills area) is crawling.  Just drove back north from charlotte to gso and the backup was miles long.  

Probably going through that way in a few hours. Hoping it clears by then.

I-81 wasn't really bad at all today.  One little slower section around Harrisonburg due to an accident, a little slow around Roanoke, but the rest of it was well above the speed limit travel...and the speed limit on large sections is 70mph.   Can't complain a bit with the directions that my Highlander suggested through Charlotte into Laurens it seemed to shave off a dozen miles (had minor slowing at times through NC on I-77) and overall a little quicker than anticipated.

For folks not in totality(like me), it'll still be very interesting. Found this verbiage:

Once the sun is about 75% covered you'll start to notice environmental changes: The temperature will drop and skies will begin to darken more quickly. Temperatures can drop up to ten degrees if you're in the path of totality.

44 minutes ago, mackerel_sky said:

It is great! Hopefully you get downtown, to liberty bridge, it's cool! Just glanced at the radar, the storms between CAE and GSP! Wasn't expecting that today

20 minutes ago, WxBlue said:

Definitely check out downtown's waterfall when you can! One of more underrated southern cities to live in, IMO.

Yup, hanging out in the falls park right now, have been for a couple hours. Awesome place and especially nice as the bridge starts getting lit up. Real energetic atmosphere here tonight... not sure what it's like on a usual Sunday but the excitement is definitely building for tomorrow. 

Made it to Greenville SC without a problem. Traffic sucked on 85 north of Charlotte and in northern SC. When that occurred we switched over to 29 with little trouble. 5 hours from Raleigh to Greenville. We will head toward Lake Keowee in the morning.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

17 minutes ago, eyewall said:

Made it to Greenville SC without a problem. Traffic sucked on 85 north of Charlotte and in northern SC. When that occurred we switched over to 29 with little trouble. 5 hours from Raleigh to Greenville. We will head toward Lake Keowee in the morning.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

used to live on Lake Keowee a number of years ago - that will be a fantastic setting - pristine lake - and, LK will have a significant amount of totality time - don't forget to visit Falls Park on the return trip home...

4 hours ago, FallsLake said:

For folks not in totality(like me), it'll still be very interesting. Found this verbiage:

Once the sun is about 75% covered you'll start to notice environmental changes: The temperature will drop and skies will begin to darken more quickly. Temperatures can drop up to ten degrees if you're in the path of totality.

Temp could drop 10 degrees and it'll still manage to be 90+ around the SE lol. 

I need this eclipse during one of our precip always seemingly arrives late afternoon winter weathe events. Yall remember those where you wake up to milky sky's and just enough solar radiation gets through half the day and raises temps into upper 30s while the DP's creep up and your wetbulb hoovers around 33 to 34. Then the precip arrives during peak heating about 3:00 in the afternoon.

Archived