joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Plans for the Great American Eclispe, Aug 21, 2017

jburns

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Still planning on Manning area even though forecast is dicey.  I won't have the ability to head too far west as I need to head back north to Philly area.  Will likely take back roads east of 95 from Lumberton NC to get as close to totality and give me a shot to at least seek out some peaks of sun.  Good luck to all.

Had a great day with kids at water Country USA Today.  Probably should've went with my buddy to Knoxville area, but we are having a great trip anyway 

3 hours ago, WxUSAF said:

I81 in VA Sssssuuuuccckkkkeeeeddd today.

2 hours ago, Juliancolton said:

Just brutal. Glad I wasn't suffering alone, though. :) I'm just passing the Roanoke exits and while volume is still high, at least we're doing the speed limit again. 

Bleh. I switched over to I-95 from I-81 by taking US-17 and got myself into several jams around Richmond trying to reach my parents' place. I-95 is always bad between RVA and DC so I can't imagine what it will be like tomorrow or the day of eclipse. Could be an epic traffic jam on that interstate.

On side note, I'm now bailing on my Lowcountry SC target and will either go to Upstate SC or SE Tennessee very early Monday morning. Likely Tennessee.

9 minutes ago, TellicoWx said:

Nice run by 00z GFS for SE TN and Upstate of SC

gfs_cfractot_seus_8.png

HRRR-X and RAP-X (both eclipse adjusted) also came in clear for SE TN and Upstate SC. Hopefully it'll hold still through tomorrow so it's easier to focus on that region.

Looking good for the RAH forecast area (...to see a partial eclipse):

SHORT TERM /MONDAY AND MONDAY NIGHT/...
As of 330 AM Sunday...

Central NC will reside under the influence of deep layer ridging on
Monday, which is a good thing in terms of limited cloud cover across
the area as eclipse viewing party commences Monday afternoon, with
largely just some fair wx cu and thin cirrus cloud cover expected.
Any convection will be isolated and generally east of the in
vicinity of the sea breeze and to our west along the terrain induced
differential heating over the mtns.

Highs again in the lower 90s. Lows 70 to 75.

8 hours ago, No snow for you said:

If you do come on down to the farm in Easley. We are having a pastry one exit down from Greenville on I 85  

I'm planning on coming to Easley. There's a park there that looked nice to hang out in for several hours. Hoping it's not too crowded and that I can get there from Greenville tomorrow morning easily.

Traveled Saturday from Baton Rouge and now at my sister's house in Buford George, on the NE outskirts of Atlanta.  Very fortunate that the weather appears to be about as favorable as you could get for August 21.    Currently we are planning out headed to Simpsonvile SC at 6:00 am Monday morning.  I am still concerned this may be not be early enough.  Any comments from ya'll who are more familiar with I-85 in these areas are appreciated.  I do have some maps so I can travel off interstate roads if needed.  

2 hours ago, Kennethb said:

Traveled Saturday from Baton Rouge and now at my sister's house in Buford George, on the NE outskirts of Atlanta.  Very fortunate that the weather appears to be about as favorable as you could get for August 21.    Currently we are planning out headed to Simpsonvile SC at 6:00 am Monday morning.  I am still concerned this may be not be early enough.  Any comments from ya'll who are more familiar with I-85 in these areas are appreciated.  I do have some maps so I can travel off interstate roads if needed.  

Live in Greenville, SC...some tips:

1. go to 511SC.org and view the SCDOT interstate cams - I've found their live traffic maps are better than GoogleMaps (not sure about Waze)

2. typically, on work days, I-85 traffic picks-up considerably after 7am - all bets are off tomorrow - esp with last minute weather changes - also, all television news stations are reporting, "Don't assume businesses will be open" (most, if not all, public schools in the Upstate are closed tomorrow) - I have the day off and will be off the roads - nobody really knows what is going to happen

3. infrastructure in SC is painfully inadequate with all the people moving here - the state of SC is playing massive catch-up - the second biggest road construction project in SC history is the I85/385 Gateway Project - I-85 needs additional lanes from GA to the NC state lines - thankfully, some of this is being undertaken now

4. additional info: WYFF (NBC), WSPA (CBS), GreenvilleOnline (main newspaper - all eclipse news items are free) (do not utilize WLOS, ABC - we get our ABC station out of Asheville, NC)

Good Luck!

Thank you Dr. Franklin.  Much appreciated.  I will use your links for reference.  I see the traffic tomorrow as a cross between evacuating multiple large towns and cities from a hurricane and going to the tailgate before the big game.  

The eclipse is both the "hurricane" and the game.  Except for this hurricane people are headed towards it.  Many people have and continue to slowly evacuate during the weekend.  Many more people, such as I, will evacuate the day of the "hurricane" and game day with more and more people and cars flowing into the path of totality.  As soon as the game is over, a mass exodus back to the towns and cities occurs as Tuesday everything is back to normal.  

1 minute ago, Kennethb said:

Thank you Dr. Franklin.  Much appreciated.  I will use your links for reference.  I see the traffic tomorrow as a cross between evacuating multiple large towns and cities from a hurricane and going to the tailgate before the big game.  

The eclipse is both the "hurricane" and the game.  Except for this hurricane people are headed towards it.  Many people have and continue to slowly evacuate during the weekend.  Many more people, such as I, will evacuate the day of the "hurricane" and game day with more and more people and cars flowing into the path of totality.  As soon as the game is over, a mass exodus back to the towns and cities occurs as Tuesday everything is back to normal.  

I was told The city of Clemson is expecting the traffic of 5 home football games. I honestly don't know how the state resources can handle what it is about to get hit with. 

3 hours ago, Kennethb said:

Like the good DR said, I live in Simpsonville, and " normal" rush hour is very busy after about 7-7:30! I heard Friday afternoon was gridlocked from ATL to GSP and took 4-5 hours , which is normally a 2 1/2-3 hour trip. School is still out in Greenville county, so that will help a good bit. I think there will be more problems with travel than anticipated. ! I would leave by 5 at the latest, if it was me! Good luck

11 minutes ago, mackerel_sky said:

All those short range cloud maps are a bit concerning. Most have 40-45% cloud cover in and around CAE and 20% around Simpsonville @ 2pm ! Saw some meteorologist say leave Charleston now and relocate, it looks pretty cloudy there ! 

From what I'm seeing 30-35% is a best case scenario for the upstate.  There is still a chance the upstate gets more than that 30-35% cover.  

I'm in the same boat as far as travel goes, although I'm beginning to think that the traffic thing may be a bit overblown (which may just be wishful thinking BTW).  Consider this......no one in the path has to travel anywhere, so that's good, that should hold off traffic that would otherwise be heavy, say like during the holidays.  No schools are out as far as I know in Atlanta and I would assume that in Charlotte as well.  It's a workday, no retail/business/govt is closed outside of the path that I'm aware of, sure many will take the day off, but most people are still working tomorrow.  I would figure that at least 1/2 of the Atlanta/birmingham migration would be to the north up to the mountains/up I-75 or Ga 400 or Tennessee rather than fight to go through the city of Atlanta, so that would help I would think.  On the contrary, I think the real mess of traffic would be folks heading up I-26 from Charleston and Columbia (if the weather is poor) and the Charlotte people since they would have to go through GSP.  I would think 85 north of GSP and I-26/385 could be a real mess, especially if it's cloudy toward the coast.

3. infrastructure in SC is painfully inadequate with all the people moving here - the state of SC is playing massive catch-up - the second biggest road construction project in SC history is the I85/385 Gateway Project - I-85 needs additional lanes from GA to the NC state lines - thankfully, some of this is being undertaken now

You should see I-77 north of Charlotte!

15 minutes ago, mackerel_sky said:

Avg here in Simpsonville today! Just a lot of VA plates as well as others, I can tell there are some Georgians, because of their wreckless driving and speeding

my wife and I were at Pita House last night (live close by) and the line was out the door! had a large group of out-of-town "eclipsers" behind us ordering - they asked us, "are we in Greenville?" :blink:

Archived