Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Plans for the Great American Eclispe, Aug 21, 2017

jburns

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Snow haven said:

any place to get a free paid of glasses? I asked local libraries and they are only handing them out at the event they are having that day and I'm not paying $20.00 for a paid of glasses.

The glasses only cost a few dollars. I ordered "official" ones from www.eclipse2017.org. It cost me $14.08 for 4 pair of glasses. The more one orders, the less the cost. The shipping was free. 

14 minutes ago, Snow haven said:

any place to get a free paid of glasses? I asked local libraries and they are only handing them out at the event they are having that day and I'm not paying $20.00 for a paid of glasses.

Several different manufacturers sell 10-packs on Amazon for around $15. I wouldn't rely on the "while supplies last" free glasses that towns are handing out.

I will be on a houseboat on Fontana Lake to experience Totality. I have been waiting for this event for over 2 years so I have made a vacation of it. I will also be collaborating with Google who plans to create a movie of 1000 photographers who will be in the Zone of Totality. Heading out that Saturday, I am not too worried about traffic, and the day of the eclipse I won't be leaving the lake, unless the weather looks terrible. The Diamond Ring effect and Baily's Beads should be an incredible site to see. Hoping to get a close up shot of the sun during Totality, then quickly switch to a wide angle lens in hopes of capturing the whole lake scene while dark. I'll post pics here after I submit to google. If you are curious about the Diamond Ring Effect and Baily's Bead, check out this NASA video from last year. They will be at Clingmans Dome (as most of you I am sure know) this time and should have a similar video available for livestream!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, SimeonNC said:

I'm gonna have classes on the day of the eclipse, but I'll have a four hour break which will take place while it's going on over here. I don't have any money though so unless I can get some glasses at the library before then I'm gonna have to stay inside during the event.

You don't have to stay inside. Just do not look directly at the sun. 

12 hours ago, Hvward said:

I will be on a houseboat on Fontana Lake to experience Totality. I have been waiting for this event for over 2 years so I have made a vacation of it. I will also be collaborating with Google who plans to create a movie of 1000 photographers who will be in the Zone of Totality. Heading out that Saturday, I am not too worried about traffic, and the day of the eclipse I won't be leaving the lake, unless the weather looks terrible. The Diamond Ring effect and Baily's Beads should be an incredible site to see. Hoping to get a close up shot of the sun during Totality, then quickly switch to a wide angle lens in hopes of capturing the whole lake scene while dark. I'll post pics here after I submit to google. If you are curious about the Diamond Ring Effect and Baily's Bead, check out this NASA video from last year. They will be at Clingmans Dome (as most of you I am sure know) this time and should have a similar video available for livestream!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No photography for me.  I've decided to just take it all in without any distractions. 

Just for kicks I checked priceline for a hotel in Greenville for the 20th - 22nd. Only 6 hotels came up in the entire GSP metro that still has rooms and all 6 were in Spartanburg, which is just outside totality. I had heard this is the case all over the country within the line, but still a little crazy to see it show up on the search. Hotels and restaurants are gonna bank!

On 8/1/2017 at 0:07 AM, LithiaWx said:

I've got a few targets to head towards for the event.

anderson, sc

tiger, ga

And a city between chatty and Knox in TN

You should come to Clarkesville, GA. We've only got 1m43s of totality but Rabun County, GA is going to be 100% packed. There's only a handful of roads up there to choose from and EVERYBODY will be on them. There's really only one way in and out of Tiger.

The Rockingham County Public Libraries in Eden, Reidsville, Madison and Stoneville will hold eclipse viewing events at 1:30 p.m. Bring a lawn chair and solar viewing glasses. While supplies last, first come/first-served, free solar viewing glasses will be available, starting August 2, at Rockingham County Public Library branches.   Anyone who wishes to have a pair must sign a liability waiver form, parents signing for their children age 18 and under.

Sad.

On ‎7‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 4:22 PM, SimeonNC said:

I'm gonna have classes on the day of the eclipse, but I'll have a four hour break which will take place while it's going on over here. I don't have any money though so unless I can get some glasses at the library before then I'm gonna have to stay inside during the event.

Why stay inside. Make yourself a shadowbox if nothing else. Lowes is selling glasses for $2.

1 hour ago, a5ehren said:

Getting into fantasy range for this on the models now.

GFS is showing strong cloud cover over the Plains and Gulf Coast, with the wedge zones in the SE having pretty clear skies. 

Giant grain of salt obviously...

Yep. Just for fun here is the 12z GFS Simulated IR on the 21st (for ~8am):

aaaa.jpg

10 minutes ago, Brick Tamland said:

I'll be at work  and using my lunch break to see it. Hope it is a clear day.

I know you can get glasses to watch it, and can make things to see it. But I thought it would be easy to just turn your back to it and watch it through the camera on my phone.

So what kind of phone are you going to buy on the 22nd?

Archived