• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Plans for the Great American Eclispe, Aug 21, 2017

jburns

It is just over 3 months away now.  Prime viewing in our area so what are your plans? A possibility of a meet-up? Wife and I plan on being somewhere inside the totality belt. At my age, this could be my last one. What are your plans?

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, jburns said:

It is just over 3 months away now.  Prime viewing in our area so what are your plans? A possibility of a meet-up? Wife and I plan on being somewhere inside the totality belt. At my age, this could be my last one. What are your plans?

Just another day. I'm in the totallity belt , I believe. It'll just like a cloud crossed the sun for a few minutes. 

33 minutes ago, jburns said:

I was just talking about this yesterday.  No plans as of yet.

ga-sc.gif

12 minutes ago, buckeyefan1 said:

I will be in St Matthews on the farm trying not to screw up one good picture during the 2 minutes and 35 seconds of totality  :P   You guys are welcome to join us :) 

If you are serious we just might.

22 minutes ago, jburns said:

Another good spot.  A few miles can make the difference so be sure and check some detailed maps on the area of totality.

Good point.  I will be sure to look at it in detail as we near the event.  Definitely want to get in the 100% zone.

13 minutes ago, jburns said:

If you are serious we just might.

I am serious  :lol:   It's the farm where my son in law (and his family) have worked for many, many, many years. There's honestly nothing there but peanuts, cotton and tractors   :) 

11 minutes ago, Cold Rain said:

I think we're gonna pack up and head toward the Greenville area.

Anderson/Greenwood wouldn't be as crowded as Greenville I don't think. Ninety Six historical site made my short list of places I'd travel to for this ;)

1 minute ago, buckeyefan1 said:

I am serious  :lol:   It's the farm where my son in law (and his family) have worked for many, many, many years. There's honestly nothing there but peanuts, cotton and tractors   :) 

OK,  Let's make it a tentative date.  I am just planning on getting up really early and driving down that day and back afterward.  Google says 4 hour drive.  I will allow much more due to the unusual traffic. I'll avoid passing through Charlotte and Columbia by coming down through Rockingham and then taking Rt 1 and 601.

4 minutes ago, jburns said:

OK,  Let's make it a tentative date.  I am just planning on getting up really early and driving down that day and back afterward.  Google says 4 hour drive.  I will allow much more due to the unusual traffic. I'll avoid passing through Charlotte and Columbia by coming down through Rockingham and then taking Rt 1 and 601.

Sweet! :D   It's just under 4 hrs taking the interstate, speeding under 10 over, and 1 pit stop...lol. #1 and #601 will be a pretty drive ;) 

17 minutes ago, buckeyefan1 said:

Anderson/Greenwood wouldn't be as crowded as Greenville I don't think. Ninety Six historical site made my short list of places I'd travel to for this ;)

I hear Simpsonville is nice!!!??? We are almost dead center of totality path!! Hope it don't shift like a Euro snow map! :(

12 hours ago, jburns said:

Nope. I've been in one total eclipse. It's special.

Absolutely, the only total eclipse I have seen was when I was a wee lad in Eastern NC on March 7, 1970.  It definitely made an impression on me; I remember it well.  I don't have a game plan yet for the upcoming eclipse, I do have visions of epic traffic jams.

42 minutes ago, Moonhowl said:

Absolutely, the only total eclipse I have seen was when I was a wee lad in Eastern NC on March 7, 1970.  It definitely made an impression on me; I remember it well.  I don't have a game plan yet for the upcoming eclipse, I do have visions of epic traffic jams.

Remember it well. Second grade with shadow boxes and pieces of dark film. Tracked right up the east coast with Raleigh close to the best total track. I think it was slightly east of us though.

55 minutes ago, frazdaddy said:

Remember it well. Second grade with shadow boxes and pieces of dark film. Tracked right up the east coast with Raleigh close to the best total track. I think it was slightly east of us though.

Yes, it was a bit east of Raleigh; my father loaded us into the family truckster and we went to somewhere near Clinton to experience totality.

Archived