SnowHabit
Heavy Rainstorm Friday night into Sunday morning

NJwx85

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, IrishRob17 said:

Nailed it once again 

Nothing pedestrian about a driving 18 hour rainstorm and highs in 40's during mid May. Stop with the QPF fetish. It's really hard to get very high totals without convection. This system had zero convection. Very impressive storm for this time of year.

13 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

Nothing pedestrian about a driving 18 hour rainstorm and highs in 40's during mid May. Stop with the QPF fetish. It's really hard to get very high totals without convection. This system had zero convection. Very impressive storm for this time of year.

Agreed. Pedestrian is 1/2" or less with temps a few degrees below normal NOT 1.5"+ with temps 20* below and rain and wind for over 18 hours.  It also snowed heavily on the backside early this morning not all that far from here. Southern VT and western NH got hit hard with 2-10" depending on elevation.

9 minutes ago, forkyfork said:

the temps during the storm were never in question. there were model runs showing the storm developing faster and stalling out with a heavy rain band overhead. that would have resulted in 4"+

IMO that was off the table once the system didn't close off at H5 until well past the area.

i still find it insulting to call this storm pedestrian when it would have been a historic snow storm in all likelihood a month earlier.

2 hours ago, Juliancolton said:

It's a bit disingenuous to insist on ignoring QPF/precip when judging a rainstorm... 

I had water running off the hills and down the roads like rushing rivers.  That only happens when the amount of precip is significant.  This morning there was still water pumping out of hillsides like a spigot was left on and the puddles just evaporated a little while ago and are now being refreshed.  Had some rumbles as the main line went through and now it's happening again.  Man I can't wait for things to dry out this week...

26 minutes ago, Rjay said:

Lost the link to the Wantagh mesonet.   I think they see similar gusts to what Queens College saw.  Prob gusting to 25-35 mph here with light rain. 

Now I see why they issued the warning. It was from reports of downed trees when the storms were over NJ. 

0455 PM     TSTM WND DMG     RUTHERFORD              40.82N  74.11W
05/14/2017                   BERGEN             NJ   CO-OP OBSERVER

TREE ON HOUSE ON WILSON AVENUE
0505 PM     TSTM WND DMG     RUTHERFORD              40.82N  74.11W

TREE ON HOUSE ON RAYMOND AVE
0425 PM     TSTM WND DMG     WEST MILFORD            41.11N  74.40W
05/14/2017                   PASSAIC            NJ   CO-OP OBSERVER

TREE ON HOUSE ON ROOSEVELT ROAD

0503 PM     TSTM WND DMG     FAIR LAWN               40.94N  74.12W

LARGE TREE ACROSS TRAIN TRACKS AT RADBURN STATION
0500 PM     TSTM WND DMG     MOUNTAINSIDE            40.68N  74.36W
05/14/2017                   UNION              NJ   CO-OP OBSERVER

TREE ON WIRES AT BIRCH HILL AND INDIAN TRAIL
0455 PM     TSTM WND DMG     PASSAIC                 40.86N  74.13W

ONE PERSON INJURED BY FALLING TREE ON PAULISON AVE

FWIW, I was in uptown Manhattan when that storm blew through and I was pretty sure we gusted over 50.  It was very cool - felt like a western downburst like you get with an inverted V sounding.  The wind direction was RIGHT ON TOP OF YOUR DAMN HEAD.

5 hours ago, NJwx85 said:

IMO that was off the table once the system didn't close off at H5 until well past the area.

i still find it insulting to call this storm pedestrian when it would have been a historic snow storm in all likelihood a month earlier.

Insulted by the weather?  That's a new one. It was a solid rainstorm but it didn't happen a month earlier, it happened now. The chilly temps will be the biggest take away for me. After seeing numerous QPF maps posted for each model run for days on end the 1.22" of rain IMBY is solid but not all that uncommon unless we are in a drought. This storm will not be overly memorable for my location but you are a rain guy, to each their own.  

1 hour ago, bluewave said:

Now I see why they issued the warning. It was from reports of downed trees when the storms were over NJ. 

Yeah the person hit by the falling tree was killed.  Though the news said it was due to lightning

3 hours ago, bluewave said:

Must have been some weak trees.  

Total rainfall isn't everything. This storm certainly had the appeal. If you want to harp on totals it's just because you're looking for a way to poo poo the event.

Places along the NJ coast saw well over 2" with a few 3" totals. The heaviest banding stayed closer to the coast. 

3 hours ago, NJwx85 said:

Total rainfall isn't everything. This storm certainly had the appeal. If you want to harp on totals it's just because you're looking for a way to poo poo the event.

Places along the NJ coast saw well over 2" with a few 3" totals. The heaviest banding stayed closer to the coast. 

I know this debate is going nowhere, but since there's nothing else going on of note... I just can't wrap my head around this logic. Rainfall totals should absolutely be the single most important consideration when judging the merits of a rainfall event. How can it be any other way? If you're latching onto temps, hypothetical snowfall, and abstract things like "appeal" then you're trying to sanctify a rainstorm that doesn't deserve it. I mean, I'm not going to try telling you how you can get your kicks... if it hit the spot for you, awesome. I would just avoid telling people that they have to respect a rainstorm even if they weren't impressed by the rain.

5 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

I know this debate is going nowhere, but since there's nothing else going on of note... I just can't wrap my head around this logic. Rainfall totals should absolutely be the single most important consideration when judging the merits of a rainfall event. How can it be any other way? If you're latching onto temps, hypothetical snowfall, and abstract things like "appeal" then you're trying to sanctify a rainstorm that doesn't deserve it. I mean, I'm not going to try telling you how you can get your kicks... if it hit the spot for you, awesome. I would just avoid telling people that they have to respect a rainstorm even if they weren't impressed by the rain.

The comment was that it was a pedestrian event and I think it's absurd to call this storm pedestrian because it didn't deliver the highest totals to the NYC area. I'm fairly certain coastal areas of NJ received close to 4" of rain. It failed to reach 50 degrees and dropped into the lower 40's during the day in the middle of May. It also rained for nearly 24 hours straight in some locations. You can probably count on one hand the amount of true coastal lows that had >3" totals near the area.

Archived